flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Best Wetsuit : O'neill pyrotech ?

Postby flysurfing » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:58 am

Hello All,

I am looking for a wetsuit that could work in water like 8/9 celcius degrees and be also suitable for summer with water around 18 degrees and air 25 degrees....

I was looking at dry suit but they are a bit too constraining and you can't swim with them very well if needed...

I checked those wetsuit :

Rip Curl FLASH BOMB PLUS CHEST ZIP 4/3
O'neill pyrotech 5/3
ION Onyx Semidry 5/4 DL 2015
NP Mission Front Zip 5/4/3

Seems like the O'neill is the strongest one as after checking some forum i can read that the Ion and NP neoprene is not as strong as the O'neill.

However in the other hand, the ION feature kitesurf friendly like drain hole etc...

I'd like to have your opinion which wetsuit do you use and which wetsuit do you recommend ?

thx

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best Wetsuit : O'neill pyrotech ?

Postby randycasburn » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:51 pm

You should consider the NP Elite. I can confirm that the other NP neoprene suits (other than the Elite) will _not_ hold up to abuse. I ripped my NP Zealot (5/4/3 semi-dry), I think it is the Eclipse now, to shreds (with fingernails, board fins, over stretching, etc). I loved the suit as it was very cozy warm and very flexible - but I mistreated it. I think all of the soft-neo suits will rip and tear if abused though.
flysurfing wrote:I was looking at dry suit but they are a bit too constraining and you can't swim with them very well if needed...
Is this from personal experience or speculation? My personal experience, albeit quite minimal, is my dry suit is LESS constraining. I've not found swimming to be necessary as I'm attached to a kite. So body dragging is the question and has been simple and just as easy as in any wetsuit I've worn.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:33 pm

I currently own the Ripcurl E-bomb in 3/2 and 4/3 and absolutely love them for free surf. By far the most flexible suits I have ever owned due to the ultra-stretchy material. I did use the 4/3 to kite with a few times and noticed a little premature wear on the stitching where the harness rubs on my belly. Not an issue when I use them to surf. Also, due to the snug fit on the ankles, it fills with water quickly. I have also had tons of O'niels over the last 30 years and have never been disappointed with the quality or wear. I did purchase an Ion wetsuit back in 2010 as recommended by our North dealer. I really appreciated the extra padding on the shins and the drain holes in the ankles. However, that was the worst quality suit I have ever owned. I take very good care of my gear(rinse)and the bottom part of the legs starting ripping like paper only after a few months. Maybe they have improved the quality since then. The wetsuits I have been using lately for kiting are the one's I can get on sale($100-150). I have found that kiting thrashes your wetsuits more than surfing does. And, flexibility is not as important since you don't have to paddle. Check "KitePaddleSurf" and "Whiskey Militia" They are always having sales of 50% off on pretty descent wetsuits. Got lucky on Black Friday and scored a Quicksilver Ignite 3/4 for $99( reg $250) at our local surf shop. If I thrash it in a year or so, no big deal.
Last edited by TommyDuotone on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:39 pm

I am happy with my Np mission front zip. It does not have the fancy look of the elite or Eclipse but the price is right, neoprene is strong and has a fireline layer on the inside that keeps you really warm.
You might be too warm in 20 degree Celsius with a 5/4.
I have a 6/5/4 in which I start to sweat at 12 Celsius. Above that I wear a 3/2. Though I think i will get their mission back zip 4/3 once it gets warmer.
If it were me I would get a 4/3, it should cover the range you need it for. You can supplement it with a np hoodie when you hang out on the beach after session or take it on the water if you find 4/3 too light.

Np website says 4/3 range is 12 to 15 degree Celsius.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:28 pm

I think you temp range is too big. At 18c water and 25 air, id be in a short sleeved 2- 3mm wetsuit. A 2-3 mm shorty even. You can get cheap one.

At 8-9 c water and air, id go for a 3-5 or 4-5 semi dry wetsuit. 3-5 mm booties and 3 mm dry gloves, a hood of some sort adds a lot of comfort. If you think its cold get a 1mm short sleeved wetsuit top for reinforcement.

So with 1 mm top, 3mm short sleeved suit( alternative a shorty), 3-5 full suit, hood, booties, gloves. You are good to go from 28c air water, down to 7c air and water.
This is my inwater experience for 12 years kiting in these kind of conditions.

Drysuit will be too warm, expensive.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:30 pm

My wetsuit experience: i have owned Xcel, Oniel, hyperflex, NP and now I sell/use Mystic.

Overall: the more expensive suits feel softer and are more flexible. The 5/4 Majestic is an easy on and off... But is no more warmer then the 5/4 star. I think the the cheeper ones are more durable but the pricy ones are much more comfotable.

You cant go wrong with a 5/4 get a detachable hood and you will be golden. But two suits is really the way i think...

paxs
Rare Poster
Local Beach: balaton,pula,...
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande,Paracuru
Gear: Dice,Neo Duotone

Postby paxs » Mon May 13, 2019 10:41 am

For sure take NP RECON model ! Amazing wetsuit models 2018/2019 . Stretch, amazing comfort & quality & Yamamoto neopren -
Yamamoto limestone Neoprene is a more sustainable alternative to classic petroleum based neoprene, as it reduces the energy input needed to produce it. It also is much more stretchy than standard neoprene, and more durable. It offers a hybrid technology - lightweight, fast drying thermal properties for superior insulation performance in and on the water. At Neilpryde we use limestone neoprene as a standard for our full wetsuit range.)

I bought here & free shipping too...Also they have great customer support if you are new in sport and help you choose price & performance wetsuit.

https://www.surfnow.eu/collections/wetsuits

Hope you get some more info and tips :=

So if you are looking for highend wetsuit & comfort = NP Recon & Mission

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon May 13, 2019 12:47 pm

whatever wetsuit but never ever front entry BS. Im big guy and need Harry Houdini skills to get in and out

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon May 13, 2019 7:12 pm

flysurfing wrote:
Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:58 am
I'd like to have your opinion which wetsuit do you use and which wetsuit do you recommend ?
My go to response every time someone posts about "best wetsuit can I get?"...

There's only one answer... THE ONE THAT FITS!
Go try on as many wetsuits as you can. The "best" wetsuit will find you.

I'm currently using Ride Engine's wetsuits. I like their fit (for me) and they use a eco friendly limestone neoprene and the face fabric is not treated. I also like that they are kite specific, so seams are oriented smarter and have features like drain holes and ankle strap attachment option.
https://blog.rideengine.com/whats-in-a- ... gine-suit/

Btw, most (if not all) of the brands that you're considering are made in the same factory along with many others. Wetsuit quality is "splitting hairs" within the same price points imo.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesasia ... e9be6e3d40

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue May 14, 2019 2:19 am

I'm with stupids who said:
1)your temperature range is too wide.
There's no steamer on the market today which would cover this kind of temperatures, whatever you will get - will be a compromise - either a tad too cold - or waaaay toooo warm. I started with a single suit - but with experience it came down to owning 2, a really thick - cold season one and a lighter one for chilly weather. If it's warm enough - I'd rather ride in a lycra and shorts - no suit beats that.

2)there no such thing as "the best" wetsuit, actually nothing is "the best" - but there are things which suit you better than others.

3)I still maintain that front-entry is for skinny shnores with no shoulders. Otherwise - if you've got any meat on your back and shoulders - you won't be able to remove it by yourself. Had to learn that lesson the hard way - only did cost me a new zipper.

Return to “Kitesurfing”