Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee
Style: Freeride/Surf/Foil
Gear: Duotone Evo 2019.
Brand Affiliation: none.

Naish Pivot vs Duotone Neo

Postby Jvwesemael » Wed May 15, 2019 8:01 am

Hi All,

I am really anxious to hear your thoughts on how these kites compare and then especially wave capability vs freeride capabilty. I read on the forum that the Pivot is very powerfull and that is what I read in the NEO as well. Although the NEO is put as a wave specific kite it needs to tailor to the strapless freestyle needs of pro riders as well. So are these kites a real close match, or are there clear differences?

Does the pivot cater the freeride more [more boost and hangtime] and the neo a bit less but better drifting and less powerfull?

Thanks a lot!

Jeroen.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Pivot vs Duotone NEO

Postby Exal » Wed May 15, 2019 10:08 am

Didn't you want to test the pivot? I still don't know why you want to change from the evo. The neo smokes the pivot in drift and the pivot snacks the neo in lift/hangtime from what I've seen. Just test them yourself, you must have plenty of shops and good enough wind right now.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Naish Pivot vs Duotone Neo

Postby Leon van Bergen » Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 am

What Exal said, is you want to Freeride, wave an boost then try your own Duotone Evo better!

Jvwesemael
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee
Style: Freeride/Surf/Foil
Gear: Duotone Evo 2019.
Brand Affiliation: none.

Postby Jvwesemael » Wed May 15, 2019 11:25 am

Think the EVO is to powerful and not as good in the waves, I don't like that. Hence my search... I will test, but it is good to know other peoples experiences so I am better informed, hence my question. ; )

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Wed May 15, 2019 1:55 pm

Completely biased because I use them but I have found the new F-one Bandit to be the ideal combination of really good lift and excellent wave performance. Haven’t tried it unhooked. Bar feedback is great but it’s not particularly light on the bar pressure, which I like but not everyone will.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Wed May 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Jvwesemael wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:25 am
Think the EVO is to powerful and not as good in the waves, I don't like that. Hence my search... I will test, but it is good to know other peoples experiences so I am better informed, hence my question. ; )
The NEO is even more powerful than the EVO.

There is no such thing as a best kite for doing both, waves and boosting. It will always be a compromise and that is the EVO. I like to do both as well but waveriding is more important for me, therefore I went with the NEO. I think it's also an excellent kite for boosting. But yeah, it won't have the same boost and hangtime as an EVO or a Rebel. Question is, if you can live with that.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed May 15, 2019 4:51 pm

andylc wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:55 pm
Completely biased because I use them but I have found the new F-one Bandit to be the ideal combination of really good lift and excellent wave performance. Haven’t tried it unhooked. Bar feedback is great but it’s not particularly light on the bar pressure, which I like but not everyone will.
He is not asking about fone.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed May 15, 2019 4:58 pm

OP what you describe is how I use my Pivots. Jumping and waves. Not sure if i believe the any kite smokes the pivot in drift as even kites built specifically for it are just marginally better.

I think you'll hear people who has north kites recommended their kites and people who has naish kites recommended their kite because they are both great kites. The pivots power can be turned off and it's really responsive in waves. How do you usually ride waves? With drifting the kite or turning a lot?

I terms of boost, pivot won the red bull king of the air so that should not be a hard discussion.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed May 15, 2019 5:21 pm

You should be asking Neo or Slash? , or Evo or Pivot? those are comparative kite from different brands.......
Last edited by matth on Wed May 15, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Wed May 15, 2019 5:46 pm

tautologies wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:58 pm
OP what you describe is how I use my Pivots. Jumping and waves. Not sure if i believe the any kite smokes the pivot in drift as even kites built specifically for it are just marginally better.

I think you'll hear people who has north kites recommended their kites and people who has naish kites recommended their kite because they are both great kites. The pivots power can be turned off and it's really responsive in waves. How do you usually ride waves? With drifting the kite or turning a lot?

I terms of boost, pivot won the red bull king of the air so that should not be a hard discussion.
You saying that the pivot is better in waves than the neo? You make this statement about brand bias but your reply is the only one here with it. Hm.

Return to “Kitesurfing”