Forum for kitesurfers
antonioc6
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride waves
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Self landing and launching

Postby antonioc6 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:38 am

Guys my background is windsurf. I am new in kitesurf. Why everyone does not like to self landing and launching? Are kites fragiles?

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Re: Self landing and launching

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Thu May 16, 2019 1:18 am

Yes kites are aircraft, they are fragile. Self landing and self launching is very hazardous if the beach or ground surface is rough, has lots of seaweed (especially dried) or sticks and debris. Self landing and self launching are best learned once the basic kiting skills are mastered, but only if there are clean launch and landing sites

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu May 16, 2019 2:23 am

Or the water is relatively calm and you don’t mind getting your kite wet.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Thu May 16, 2019 7:02 am

It is usually just a lot more safe and convenient to ask someone to help. Also the launch/land moment gives you a nice little time to chat.
Quite often I help someone land, ask for the conditions out there, double check my kite size is optimal for the conditions, and then that person would help me launch :)

Also even the best of scenarios for self launch/land are not that great.
e.g. for a beginner:
I am thinking the best/safest scenario for self launch/land is knee-deep low-ish wind flat water spot where you can "drift launch".
Even here I would prefer a helping hand because your lines can get inverted if you lose attention for a bit or are just unlucky.
The safest way to self land there is just pull the quick release out on the water.
Doing that means getting a wet kite.

When you get more advanced you can also look at different launch/land techniques but again the spot must be suitable for the technique (e.g. enough clear beach without obstacles)
and there will always be more risks involved compared to have someone help you.

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 am

Has mentioned it really depends on your spot and how safe it is.
In lighter winds bigger kites it is easier to self land and launch. Practice the different techniques in 10_15 knots wind.
In stronger winds it is still easy to launch, but a lot harder to self land without good technique *or just release on water.
Over 30 knots unless your super experienced make sure someone helps out.

Another option that works without too much practice are anchors. But it can be dangerous in very gusty winds and dont work well in light winds.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu May 16, 2019 8:09 am

It just work much better with competent assistant. Its just one less thing to worry about. Its like 3x more safe and convenient than self LL. Although its completely possible to self LL by yourself in any conditions but almost everybody prefer assisted if reasonably assistant is available. Only kite which is different is very specific FS Peak4 for both L and L and people tend to prefer self launch foil kites in general
although they use assistant for landing

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu May 16, 2019 8:13 am

Lots on youtube, the best video's;

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Thu May 16, 2019 9:30 am

I do prefer to self launch/land, but it really depends on beach type and wind conditions. Sometimes beach ain't good for your kite to self launch, sometimes self launch ain't gonna be good for your health.

Some of the beaches where I ride are covered with small seashells or plants with prickles, so there is risk of puncturing bladder, if using LEI kite. Grass is not that much of a big deal. Also I had issues that at some lakes, that had narrow beaches, I had to walk into the water to self launch, but to find out that wind have blown lots of algae to the shore and my lines got all clumped, making my kite uncontrollable.

At one time I used to hot launch my 12m kites, putting them in the middle of the window, leading edge down, lift it with steering lines and flip it in the air. Once I have tried the same method on my newly bought 17m kite in 10-12 knots... Got yanked quite hard and injured my shoulder, good thing there was enough space and I pulled QR rather quickly. Never again.

As for foil kites, self launching them is really easy and safe at the most of times. But self landing might be complicated, as it requires lots of downwind space you might not have. Plus backstalled kite might still pull in winds above 10 knots, so you gotta hold the lines really hard when walking to the kite to secure it. Or just QR it and walk the safety line, but that is not good for the kite and requires even more downwind space. So landing it with an assistant is much better. Unless they know how to do it, and it's good if they wait and listen for instructions. But some go "yeah, I know how to land it!", grab the leading edge, pull it all down, invert it, just to grab the opposite wingtip and pull it to the ground. Be honest, you don't know, listen to instructions, or you might hurt yourself or damage the quite the expensive piece of equipment.

antonioc6
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride waves
Gear: None

Postby antonioc6 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:44 am

Thank you all for such important informations. I am new at kitesurf and do not have much time/ availability to kite regularly. Therefore I try to study and investigate all kite theory at home as max as possible to evolute plan the sport.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu May 16, 2019 9:55 am

antonioc6 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:38 am
Guys my background is windsurf. I am new in kitesurf. Why everyone does not like to self landing and launching? Are kites fragiles?
No, kites are fine to self land / launch...I do it on a regular basis, its just that getting help is both safer and easier.

Return to “Kitesurfing”