Forum for kitesurfers
jaros
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a ram air lover

Postby jaros » Sat May 18, 2019 11:32 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:56 am
Below 10 m2 I use my wavekites, 3½ - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 m2, and then ligher kites in my 10 m2 and up, for hydrofoiling.
Hi Peter,
I see you are missing a size between 5 and 3,5m2??? ;)
Greetings,
Jaros

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:07 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:56 am
Hi flaps1111

I dont understand fully, dont you have other small and medium kites TT or Waveboard) you can use, or are you changing your quiver and sold your existing kites?

12 and 9 is a great span, I also find just fine, but not 9 and 6 if you ask me. 9 and 7 will be great.

8) Peter

No Peter I don't have smaller than 9 mts, never needed before because I sail in thermal winds 8-25 knots. before hydrofoiling with a surfboard or TT . I used kites with a great wind range like North fuse. The "problem" wind thermal winds is that they get stronger starting in 12 knots and they reach around 20 knots. Until now I started hydrofoiling and when the wind picked up I changed to a surfboard, it's easy to change boards than kites. I recently brought a Moses vorace FR a now I find that it needs less kite size and I can sail with more wind than my previous hydro, a Moses silente 450.
I can see that you find a lot a difference just in 1 meter.
Perhaps a 6m is a big gap then.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat May 18, 2019 6:09 pm

Aaah, then I understand.

I dont need 1 m2 steps, only below 7 m2 it is almost a must for good waveriding sweetspots.

But when having 1 m2 steps, the total cost is about the same, as you wear half as much on the single kite now.
Having +200 sessions per year I ride quite some I think.

The other advantage is IF you should puncture, or even worse (rare) destroy a kite, on the very best wave day of the year, you can just take a size bigger or smaller and ride on :thumb:

I have absolutely no problems choosing the kite size I would ride on a given day…
Some do, and you can hear their heads breaking up when they try to decide - but this wont get better or worse if having bigger or smaller steps, it is something you have to learn :rollgrin:

If it should be "few kites only and a full quiver" and I should choose now from scratch, my quiver should be: 4 - 5 - 7 - 9 - 12 - and something a lot bigger as the last one, a foilkite most likely.

8) Peter

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Got the Liquid Force Solo 12m,9m and 6.5m .Also have the new Peter Lynn Nova and Ozone Hyperlink v1.Like the modern mid aspect foils a lot.However,if hydrofoiling in cross shore conditions and far from beach I prefer the LEIs as am more confident to deep water pack down/self rescue than on foils.
Regarding one strut ,the best ,for me, are the new Ozone Alphas,which are replacing all my other kites ,foils included.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Sat May 18, 2019 7:58 pm

How is the 12m? Does it really give a few more knots low-end?

I have the 9m and it's amazing but I'm moving to south Florida where the wind is super light, thinking of adding a 12m Ultra...

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Sat May 18, 2019 8:04 pm

mar menor wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 pm
Regarding one strut ,the best ,for me, are the new Ozone Alphas,which are replacing all my other kites ,foils included.
Have you tried the new Airush Ultras? I was very impressed foiling the 9m in 10 knots - had to work it a bit to get going on pocket board+surfwing, but once going it was fine, and never had a kite respond so quickly in such light wind (I own a 2016 12m Mono as LW kite). Also the drift was amazing even while riding towards it and completely slacking the lines, that thing was like a balloon and would not drop. Anyways, since then I am intrigued about the new one strut LEIs that are coming out, wonder if the Airush is exceptionally light and good, or the other new onestrutters like the ozone alpha are equally awesome.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sat May 18, 2019 9:23 pm

Airush Ultra is a great kite.To me,the Ozone Alpha has an marginally easier relaunch but like the Ultra it 'hangs' in the air even in really light winds.Also the ozone bar makes it a better package.

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:42 pm

I also have a 12 Mono LF is very good for light wind, but not as good as the Ultras for HYDROFOIL, the LF Mono is too grunty for my taste. The Ultra with its 4 pulleys behaves more like a foil kite. The down side of Ultra is that you have to do active piloting in all its trajectory.

I used a Ozone race bar with 12m and 9m Ultra to squeeze all its range, awesome results.

flaps1111
Frequent Poster

Postby flaps1111 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:58 am

I finally bought an Airush Ultra 6m and I couldn't be happier. My fear was not to be able to do the waterstart with little wind but I was able to test the kite between 10 and 20 knots. It is undoubtedly the highest range ever achieved with a single kite, with total comfort. With 83 kilos plus 5 kg more of suit, harness, anti impact vest and helmet. A perfect combo with Moses Onda and groove Skate. Now I see the 9 ultra as my big kite and the 12 for days of 6-7-8 knots.

No doubt for more than 20 knots I would need a 4 mts.

Alemro
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hel
Favorite Beaches: Jastarnia
Style: TT
Gear: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Alemro » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Hi!
I want to ask you for advice.
I ride on twintip for few months. I have one kite Airush lithium progression 10m and i want to buy my second kite airush ultra 12m for light wind. Do you think it is a good choice for a beginning twin tip rider ? Or it is better to buy 12m lithium progression?

Return to “Kitesurfing”