Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
LiP Sunglasses
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Longmen, Penghu
Zhunnan
Pranburi
Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Longmen, Penghu
Style: Hooked in
Gear: Lip Typhoon
North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: Marketing Director at Lip Sunglasses

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby LiP Sunglasses » Sat May 18, 2019 9:57 am

kite_hh wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:31 am
Toby wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 pm
We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?
by IKO

(...)

Just like with helmets, wearing sunglasses while kiteboarding seems unfashionable and excuses like “I will lose them”, “They are annoying”, “They are expensive”, “Water droplets on the lens bother me” and so on, seem to always come up.

(...)

The use of polarized sunglasses, in general, will help reduce the chances of cataracts, macular degeneration, sunburn on the cornea and the risk of experiencing vision issues like “snow blindness” which can and have happened to kiters before.

(...)
My biggest worry with sunglasses is that they may break upon impact and pieces of it could enter the eye and cause permanent damage.

Regarding the OP: What makes polarized sunglasses special or superior to 100%UV protected ones with regard to eye protection?
To protect against potential eye injury in a wipeout, the material that the frame and lenses is made from are crucial considerations. Our Typhoon and Surge frames are both constructed using Grilamid TR90, a Swiss polymer which will never shatter / break into pieces on impact. Our proprietary lenses for the Surge and Zeiss lenses for the Typhoon are also shatterproof. The lenses cannot be pushed inwards towards the eye on impact owing to the way in which the lens retention grooves are designed. When it comes to a heavy impact, suitable frame and lens materials will spread the impact load. We recently blogged a case study on this very point which you may find interesting - https://www.lip-sunglasses.com/2019/03/ ... rotection/

As to the benefits of polarisation, this is about reducing glare and has nothing to do with UV protection. As has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, low quality sunglasses with poor UV credentials may actually cause greater damage to the eyes than not wearing any sunglasses at all.

LiP Sunglasses
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Longmen, Penghu
Zhunnan
Pranburi
Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Longmen, Penghu
Style: Hooked in
Gear: Lip Typhoon
North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: Marketing Director at Lip Sunglasses

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby LiP Sunglasses » Sat May 18, 2019 10:08 am

slowboat wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:08 pm
I have been trying to convince Lip to make some NON polarized versions of their sunglasses as I really like Lip glasses otherwise.

Please support this effort by emailing them if you agree that polarization does not add any protection but can inhibit vision, especially for foiling and waves.
We are aware that there are conditions when polarised lenses are not ideal, examples being when the sun is directly overhead and/or if the water is murky with silt / sand swirling under the surface. We are happy to advise therefore that we are introducing 3 non-polarised lens options for the Typhoon from the end of this month, with similar options for the Surge to follow a little later in the summer.
These users thanked the author LiP Sunglasses for the post (total 2):
TomW (Sat May 18, 2019 3:11 pm) • knotwindy (Sun May 19, 2019 2:54 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat May 18, 2019 12:45 pm

LiP Sunglasses wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:57 am
Our Typhoon and Surge frames are both constructed using Grilamid TR90, a Swiss polymer which will never shatter / break into pieces on impact.

TYPHOON
$218.00 – $228.00

TYPHOON – the classic fit. The most advanced watershade on the market.

Kinda Proud of them there shades ; aren't Ya ?
What's it cost to build them ?

Bille

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat May 18, 2019 1:25 pm

LiP Sunglasses wrote:

Lenses for the Surge and Zeiss lenses for the Typhoon are also shatterproof.
Does the lenses for the more expensive Typhoon have backside anti-reflective ?

:coolshades:

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby slowboat » Sun May 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Bille wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:45 pm
LiP Sunglasses wrote:
Our Typhoon and Surge frames are both constructed using Grilamid TR90, a Swiss polymer which will never shatter / break into pieces on impact.

TYPHOON
$218.00 – $228.00

TYPHOON – the classic fit. The most advanced watershade on the market.

Kinda Proud of them there shades ; aren't Ya ?
What's it cost to build them ?

Bille
Lip glasses are the best I have tried for kiting and they should be proud of them. The Surge (same frame as Typhoon) costs $99-125. The Zeiss lens and coatings are what increase the cost of the Typhoon.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun May 19, 2019 5:23 pm

slowboat wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Lip glasses are the best I have tried for kiting and they should be proud of them. The Surge (same frame as Typhoon) costs $99-125. The Zeiss lens and coatings are what increase the cost of the Typhoon.
OK -- i apologize for being Rude ; and you got a Good point ! :thumb:

I just checked the price for the gogles i use , and they went up a
Bunch ; so their right in line with your Typhoon sunglasses .
The cost for Black Barz Sport Goggles with Polarized Blue/Grey
is now $240. Without the Polarized lenses , they are $120 ; but i need the
Polarized ones. :(

The Barz Sport Goggle molded frames ,are virtually
unbreakable and were designed so that the lenses cannot be dislodged inwardly
from a frontal impact. Lenses for Barz Goggles must be installed and removed
from the front. They can be made with prescription lenses ; and you can get
polarized OR photochromic (color activated by sunlight) , your choice.

www.murrays.com/product/barz-sport-goggles/

The main reason i went with Barz, is because the hot dusty dry 25kt wind we
get in the desert ; it drys my eyes out, and i get major headaches because of
it. These are goggles , (NOT sunglasses ), and as goggles, they don't allow wind
to wrap around the lenses , both from the sides and bottom.

Bille
These users thanked the author Bille for the post:
LiP Sunglasses (Mon May 20, 2019 3:00 am)
Rating: 3.03%

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Sun May 19, 2019 6:36 pm

I am amazed how much people are willing to pay for something that costs cents to manufacture...

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SolarSet » Sun May 19, 2019 6:47 pm

HALF wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:36 pm
I am amazed how much people are willing to pay for something that costs cents to manufacture...
I'm happy to pay few cents if you are happy to design, develop test and manufacture glasses for few cents, not gonna be picky about colour :cool2:
These users thanked the author SolarSet for the post (total 3):
Toby (Sun May 19, 2019 10:52 pm) • LiP Sunglasses (Mon May 20, 2019 2:43 am) • SENDIT! (Mon May 20, 2019 8:32 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun May 19, 2019 10:12 pm

HALF wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:36 pm
Whatever it retails for... divide by 4 ...and that will be about how much the complete pair of sunglasses cost to make
So ....many many many many cents
Just my 2 cents
:wink:

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Sun May 19, 2019 10:45 pm

Primark is selling CE certified(100% uv protecting) sunglasses for 1 euro. How much do you think they cost to manufacture. The materials are incredibly cheap, also Grilamid TR90 sunglasses can be found for 2 usd, and i believe the material itself is around 10-12usd for 1kg.

You can buy a working android game console, with screen, glass protector, battery, cpu, memory and a big amount of plastic for 30usd from china. Think how much it costs to produce a plastic frame.

Return to “Kitesurfing”