Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone here windsurf foil?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
kitejumping
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn and Flysurfer kites

Anyone here windsurf foil?

Postby kitejumping » Wed May 22, 2019 5:54 pm

So the closest legal water kiting spot to where I live with consistent wind is like 4 hours away, but I live right next to a big reservoir that allows windsurfing for half the year when it's not frozen (I snowkite on it the other half of the year). They allow SUP / windsurf boards / canoes / kayaks pretty much anything that can keep you out of the water when there is no wind, so i've been seriously considering getting one of those Naish Hover windsurf boards.

Anyone here have any advice or experience with windsurf foilboards? I've windsurfed like twice in my life (but I was able to get planing and upwind fine the first time out, was pretty fun) so am a complete noob when it comes to windsurfing.

Would I also be able to use the same Naish hover 122 or 142 on lightwind days with a small kite to roam around the lake and as an intro to kite foiling (as the volume should be enough for them to classify it as a SUP assuming I can lay on it without sinking)?

I watched a few videos on youtube on it and it looks pretty fun, but any pointers or info would be great. When learning about it in the past it sounded like the crossover foil boards (I think it was an AHD at the time) were super dangerous, and someone on these forums knew someone that rode one crashed and had to get a ton of stitches. Are the naish windsurf foil boards more developed and less dangerous than the SUP foil boards of 4 years ago?

Thanks!

Kitenuovoman
Medium Poster
Gear: All
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone here windsurf foil?

Postby Kitenuovoman » Wed May 22, 2019 5:55 pm

U Can try in windsurf forum probably more advice

kitejumping
Medium Poster

Postby kitejumping » Wed May 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Yeah, more wondering if anyone here has tried kiting with a SUP foil or Windsurf foil board.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed May 22, 2019 7:34 pm

I only kite with my SUP foil these days. I also windsurf foil and occasionally SUP foil. I have the GoFoil with Nalu, Kai, Iwa and Maliko 200 wings.

When it's 6-15mph, I prefer to kite with the Iwa wing. If it's 14-18mph, I like the Kai wing. I don't use the Maliko to kite and I really don't care for the Nalu as it's way too small for my preference. If it's blowing 18mph+ I don't want to foil.

I wind-foil and SUP-foil with the Maliko 200. I haven't tried the other wings to wind/sup. This wing is BIG and it's AWESOME after about 10mph and a knee high waves. It's pretty boring in straight lines though. Around 10mph and a small wave I can pump it up on foil with a 6.9m sail and carve it on the "wave". I need about 12-15mph to get on the foil without a wave.

Yes, you'll be able to use the big Naish wings to foil but I can't say which size will suit you best as I'm not familiar with them personally. I tried my buddy's Cloud 9 P24 wings this past weekend and it felt A LOT smaller than my Iwa. Much less lift for light wind. It felt somewhere between the Kai and Iwa.

For windsurfing I recommend the biggest wings as it'll be easier and more fun as you're a novice. For kiting I would go a step down but this is a personal preference as I'm quite fond of smaller kites, bigger wings and light wind days.
These users thanked the author norcom for the post:
kitejumping (Wed May 22, 2019 8:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed May 22, 2019 7:46 pm

No lines, no kite -- you’re not allowed to talk about it here! LOL

Hearing reports from friends who do both, I’ve been told that windfoiling has a shorter learning curve than kitefoiling. However, this is from people already expert in windsurfing. Personally, I’d be pretty nervous to use a foil if you’re a novice windsurfer…from my recollection of the violence of the windsurfing wipeouts in the learning stage, I could easily see getting mixed up with the foil in bad ways. You may want to ask those in the know here….get some expert advice before committing https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Foiling

Kiting with a SUP foil is super easy, once you know how to foil generally. Lots of kiters are using the big wings as a way to use smaller kites, slow down and surf the waves without wind power, and also to slow things down to work on tacks and gybes. The challenge I’ve found is keeping the wing in the water if at all overpowered.

For the situation you describe, where kiting is banned, the wind-wing / surf-wing may be an option to consider for getting on the water?
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
kitejumping (Wed May 22, 2019 8:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed May 22, 2019 8:16 pm

there is only one person on this forum that I know who can talk about all things foil, that's all, wind/kite/sup,wave,and all wing combinations.
send Gunnar a pms.
he teaches/coaches/races for a living, basically lives on water.

kitejumping
Medium Poster

Postby kitejumping » Wed May 22, 2019 8:17 pm

Those big wings will all work with a board like the Naish hover 142? Kiting isn't banned on the lake, but to go on the water need a board with a large enough volume to support my weight with no wind.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed May 22, 2019 11:48 pm

kitejumping wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:17 pm
Those big wings will all work with a board like the Naish hover 142? Kiting isn't banned on the lake, but to go on the water need a board with a large enough volume to support my weight with no wind.
Oh you want to use the Naish SUP BOARD, I thought you were talking about Naish wings; my mistake. I have thought about rigging the SUP BOARD + FOIL and trying it with a kite on a super light day but with my Peak3 12m or my new Peak4 11m :D I can start at about 6mph, the Iwa wing and Dwarfcraft 4'6. There's no need for a whole SUP board. The main issue for me is keeping the kite flying and the Peak excells in that.

I don't think kite-foiling with a SUP board and foil will make things easier. My #1 issue in light wind, other than keeping the kite flying, is creating resistance with the board/foil in the water when I send the kite to generate power. I have a feeling that if you're just standing on the SUP board and send the kite into the power zone, you'll just float towards the kite and not be able to create tension on the lines to get you up. But it depends on the wind strength. I'm mostly referring to light wind here.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Thu May 23, 2019 6:31 am

I Windfoil and kitefoil and can prone and Sup foil all on the one foil.
The XXLW Spitfire
For Windfoil it’s more a centre line upright stance which is more carve turn feel rather than blasting across the lake

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 23, 2019 7:30 am

I did not understand your first post kitejumping.

Took it as kites were not allowed at this lake, thus you wanted to windfoil instead?
And now there are suggestions about using a kite on a windfoil?
Was a bit confused about your question, but can see now that you want a huge board, but it wont help if the kite can not fly...

Anyways, can not recommend windfoiling at all, when you are not a keen windsurfer - way too difficult and risky also IMO.

If you were an experienced/advanced windsurfer it would be different, and the learning curve as said a bit shorter than kitefoil.

But learning to both windsurf (which can take 5-10 years to get reasonably good) and windfoil at the same time, I dont think is a good idea :wink:

I did both windfoil and kitefoil too, but not really windfoiling anymore, way too impractical, really cumbersome, in so many ways.

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”