Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

12 vs 15m for Marginal

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

12 vs 15m for Marginal

Postby tomtom » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:53 am

Hi All

Recently i experienced almost no wind day. My 9m kitech FRS powerstroke on beach was almost non existing.There was friend here with FS sonic 1 15.
I flyed kite on beach and it wont stay on zenith and was DOG to turn. But powerstroke was so strong that i want to try it on water. I indeed can foil on water with it but i ended with kite in drink anyway because it was just horrible misbehaving heavy kite.

So i now want kite which i use very rarely for these superlight winds either 12 or 15m. Im looking for FRS, SOUL, Pulsion type of kite /in UL for sure/.
How much difference there is between 12 and 15 with these kites from just can or cannot ride perspective?

Thank you very very much!

Tomas

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 12 vs 15m for Marginal

Postby Qiter » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:27 am

Hi,

There was a similar thread before, check here : viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2401807

Bottom line is: If you have enough skills, there is little argument for a kite bigger than 12m for foiling (if you are not a racer).
The low end is marginally better on a 15m compared to a 12m (maybe 1kn), but the kite is heavier and slower and will make the use of it (and its extra power) more difficult.
I have sold all my kites bigger than 12m.

I hope this helps

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:21 pm

What is your weight and foil size ?
15m minimum gives you better ultate low end, no doubt about it. Even bigger depending on rider weight. Very light weight kite is a significant advantage.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:21 pm

Qiter wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:27 am
Hi,

There was a similar thread before, check here : viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2401807

Bottom line is: If you have enough skills, there is little argument for a kite bigger than 12m for foiling (if you are not a racer).
The low end is marginally better on a 15m compared to a 12m (maybe 1kn), but the kite is heavier and slower and will make the use of it (and its extra power) more difficult.
I have sold all my kites bigger than 12m.

I hope this helps
Thank You, I have been REALLY bothered by these thoughts since my recent purchase of a new Flysurfer Soul 12m. I'm not worried it's too small, but that it's too big. My history is 3 years on Clouds, all Foiling, minimal pull freeride cruising. I now have the 12m Soul for super light 8-10mph days, but even in the lightest winds it really can get screaming fast on a Moses foil. Oh.... and 20 seconds after you thought it was powered? It dies and I'm swimming. Need more time on the water.
Weight: 155 pounds.
Gear: Moses 633/91

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:44 pm

I have just discovered foil kites for hydrofoiling, and a good tip from a long term foil kite user was to go ultralight, don't touch the standard cloth for ultimate light wind happiness, the reason is the ultralightweight kites are much better at floating up there when others standard cloths may want to fall.
Sold my 12mtr lei after two days of no luck in getting going, whilst my buddy was flying around on his 11mtr V3 chrono ultra lightweight foil,
he loaned me a 15mtr ultralight chrono V3 to use on day two,
I was amazed at the Yank from the water and up onto the wing in a instant, it was amazingly powerful, but he warned me not to get the 15mtr unless I wanted one for the Ttip.
The 13mtr Ozone Chrono U'light is the one I went for, but somehow I also ended up with a 14.5mtr North ace foil kite as well which is in the same lightweight material, so maybe one kite too many, time will tell.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:32 pm

The conditions you describe are sub 8 knots probably 6 knots of wind. It wasnt a horribly heavy miss behaving kite that lead to a swim. It was your lack of skill for being able to understand and fly a foil kite in light winds. A 15m sonic is a sweet kite and completely capable to have an awesome session in those winds.

What you need to do is keep the you and the kite moving. Do stop moving the kite keep it going 100% of the time, loops, sining. When up on the foil make sure your transitions are crisp and your downlooping without stopping. You need to keep the apparent wind going at all times. As soon as you loose apparent you are screwed on ultra light days.

Side note. My largest kite is a 12m chrono. If i cant stay upwind on that then I am not interested in kiting. Thats about 6 knots. In trueth i really can be bothered below 10 knots these days.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
Foil (Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:48 am)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:53 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:21 pm
What is your weight and foil size ?
15m minimum gives you better ultate low end, no doubt about it. Even bigger depending on rider weight. Very light weight kite is a significant advantage.
Sorry 86kg Moses Onda 633 - so big foil

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:03 pm

And I really have no problem riding foil kites :) That was in wind where this kite has no chance to loop - because with tight loop stall on one tip will lead to kite collapse and woth big enough radius it crash to ground.

Basicaly I can get going from 7-8 knots on my 9m foil kite. But not in 5-6. Question is should i buy 15 or 12m foil kite. Or how much sooner 15 get me going to compensate for otherwise inferior kite in compare to 12.
86kg - Big wing

many thanks

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:22 pm

At 80 kg the 12 Soul is enough for the light stuff, you will only need a 15 if on a racefoil, and then only for off the wind. Though I don’t like the 12 Soul on the big surf wing, too much power and too slow, the 10 would probably be a better option.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:27 pm

At 86 kg and big wind I would look at the 15 m for your biggest light wind kite.
I am 72 kg with a big wing and thought I would want a 15 m foil but spoke with Ben at CA and he convinced me to go 12 m Pulsion LW and he was right, but for you at 86 kg go 15 m LW.

Return to “Hydrofoil”