Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:44 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:12 pm
"The backside of dark lenses will act as a mirror to the person wearing the sunglasses and they will have to fight all the ill effects that those reflections causes "
You keep stating this idea. And you are failing to produce any reasoning or logic to back it up. As Christopher Hitchens said, "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence". Not to mention, are you quoting a sunglass hut sales seminar?

PullStrings wrote:
Answer #1
Yes the whole world would see sooooo much better if all their sunglasses had backside anti-reflective
Water spots would be sooooooo much less bothersome to the viewer
Veil of reflected glare from the back surface would not exist
"sooooo" is like 5 times better? "sooooooo" is like 7 times better"? And are you now saying that waterspots are now taken care of by the AR coating? Or are you trying to squeeze in an extra coating here?

So here was my criticism
Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:42 am
2-"7x more comfort"? You have got to think people are complete idiots here. Not only is this a ridiculous claim, but I love the "ghost images" thing! Are you saying that when you are wearing regular polarized sunglasses with no AR on them, you see 'dead people'? Frikin absolutely hilarious. So you get off at least one more lie, while the other one could possibly be citing a BS marketing study. Thus for that one, you get off with maybe only exaggeration, but more likely you know you are citing someone else's lie.
Then you just reiterated what I called out as BS.
PullStrings wrote:
Answer #2
Ghost images is caused by light trapped between front and back surfaces of lenses bouncing back and forth inside
With back-AR it's 7 times more comfortable to look through the lenses
BS times BS isn't suddenly the truth, it is still just BS

PullStrings wrote:
Answer #3
Read again..."reflected" glare...100% of "reflected "glare is what i wrote....it is implied that it means " horizontal "....not vertical....not diagonal
Thanks for fessing up to this one. So to be clear, polarizied film does not eliminate 100% of the glare. It nearly elimnates it in one plane, but only reduces it in proportion to how near that plane is to the polarizing. A water's rippled surface is not flat, thus polarizing does not eliminate all of the glare off the water.

The problem with polarizing is that it does a very good job of nearly eliminating your ability to see surface detail highlited by reflectance of light in one plane. Other planes of reflectence are not eliminated, but reduced to a varying degree. This means that a kiter completely loses detail on one plane and can't read the surface in that plane. That is what i learned a long time ago - Polarizing is great for seeing past the water's surface (in one plane), but sucks for reading the water's surface. Polarizing does not allow you to do both see past the waters surface and read it.

PullStrings wrote:
Anwer #4
Wrong about prescriptions...so wrong
Buy single vision Digital HD polarized wrap lenses ( with a compensated RX and base in prism ) with Hydro Oleo Hardcoated Back-AR
It is around $350
Here is one site about markup for sunglasses that states the average price for glasses is $300.
https://www.businessinsider.com/things- ... -stores-15

Here is another saying $100-$300
https://opticianworks.com/the-consumers-guide-10-11-15/

And no one actually needs the Oil of Oley coating - it is a sales gimmick which any benefit that it does have, is out weighed by the outrageous markup.

PullStrings wrote:
RX made by many places also warranty those high end lenses for 2 years 2 times to not scratch included in the price
Ansi Z87.1 wrap safety frames are around $85 ....SPY and WILEY-X as examples....they are sold at that price with clear or just tinted lenses non-polarized
Lenses can just come out to have the RX put in
So are you making my point for me? High end sunglasses have little to no warranty, though they should since they are one of the highest markup products. So you have made the point that prescription glasses have many times more value? Does this not just confirm the fact that expensive sunglasses have little value for their price?

PullStrings wrote:
Progressives lenses ( when you get old enough presbyopia kicks in) so you can read you pump gauge...you cell phone....just add around $200 to the cost of single vision
Why the heck are you adding this in????????? You are not selling progressive lens sunglasses at your kiosk, are you? My reference to prescription glasses was only to illustrate that one of the highest markup consumer goods (still custom made for each customer) is still cheaper or just as expensive as your mass produced expensive sunglasses. You have not addressed that fact. Nor will you as it shows that the biggest rip off of consumers is expensive sunglasses.

PullStrings wrote:
Answer #5
You can do so much more.... or just admit that i know what i'm talking about
When you pay top dollars for sunglasses that has all the features needed for ultimate clarity kitesurfing / kiteboarding / foilboarding it is worth it
I had to give a video response to this one. Written word just could not do it justice.

And hey, I think this may be my first meme.....
Pulley2.jpg
Pulley2.jpg (55.39 KiB) Viewed 922 times

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby CaptainCore » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:18 pm
CaptainCore wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:51 am
loootenant
Ya know cappy, I am going to be guilty of going waaaaayyyyy off topic here, but this is on my bucket list. I have always wanted to ask a Brit where the hell is the "f" in Lieutenant? Any other words like it in the British dialect of English? - hehe!
Well I guess it's rather like the way we say cough, yet call the tree bough. It I believe harks back to Roman times and latin and the fact u and v were the same thing, so lievtenant...
We've been around using the language a few hundred years longer than you lot, so it's evolved a bit. It wasn't until your chap webster came along to enlighten us as to how we'd been doing it all wrong, that we began to realise the error of our ways I guess.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:57 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:44 pm
:desperado: :wallbash:
Stop giving yourself a headache !!

You'll never be able to understand the importance of high tech sun lenses !!

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tegirinenashi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:19 am

It is time to make a poll who lost this debate. You know where my vote goes.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:23 am

tegirinenashi wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:19 am
15 pages, they both lost, sorry. :roll:

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:40 am

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:23 am
tegirinenashi wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:19 am
15 pages, they both lost, sorry. :roll:
I would have to concur. Hopefully, some people will save money.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:01 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:57 pm
You'll never be able to understand the importance of high tech sun lenses !!
Would I be right in assuming that high tech sunglasses are extremely important in buying you new kites, paying for your kids college, and/or setting up a nice retirement plan for you? Or maybe your job in that industry allows you lots of time off for travel to good kite destinations?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:01 pm
Or maybe your job...
What’s wrong with going to work in the morning? Providing for the kids? Trying to make the world a better place?

People make a living by making and selling nice sunglasses. People also make a living from the cheap ones.

If you have a vision for the world why not go to work in the morning rather than grouse at the people who do?

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:57 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:47 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:01 pm
Or maybe your job...
What’s wrong with going to work in the morning? Providing for the kids? Trying to make the world a better place?

People make a living by making and selling nice sunglasses. People also make a living from the cheap ones.

If you have a vision for the world why not go to work in the morning rather than grouse at the people who do?
You misunderstand me. I was not berating pulley's motivation. I was simply answering the question he posed to me. My response was honest and truthful. Should he note that my response is inaccurate, he is welcome to correct me. You, as an observer in this thread, should come to your own conclusion as to who is correct, given the evidence which was presented.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:14 pm

I am still trying to figure out why toby needs sunglasses, since his kite should block the sun out pretty good :rollgrin:

Return to “Kitesurfing”