whiteout
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: All kinds of kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

19m kite

Postby whiteout » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Considering a 19m kite, heavyweight plenty of experience with a 17m any drawbacks for 19m that you can think of? Or will it just be more floaty fun?
Thanks

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Re: 19m kite

Postby Herman » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Back in the day I had plenty of fun on a 20m Naish C kite that I picked up really cheap. But if you are going to pay proper money for a 19m kite you might want to consider that you may get more bang/fun for your buck if you invest in something like an Airush Sector or hydrofoil.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:31 pm

19m kite can be much cheaper than a hydrofoil. Have a look at Pansh.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:11 am

What size is your board ?

One of my friends is about 115 kg and keeps charging about in very low winds on his 17m Edge and the Epic Oxygen 135x47 twin tip.
its a great combo or even just the board... my weight 77kg - he leaves me standing on the beach with my 136x41 TT. So I cracked the shits and bought an Oxygen board - its a rocket you can throw around easily compared to longer planks.

Yes every one says foil board... except for shallow areas

whiteout
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: All kinds of kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby whiteout » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:41 am

140x42 cf raptor , ozone code 141x42, old pickle fork for some old schooling. .. surf board, and snow board in the winter. 19m 15m 13m 10m 8m quiver instead of 17m 15m 13m 10m 8m quiver enabling more opportunity to ride lit ??

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:05 pm

I ride a Nobile xl 143x48 , if memory serves, the old Skywalker version of the epic oxygen and a Mako 150x40. Imho the Nobile needs less power than the Skywalker and significantly less than the Mako. All are good fun. I also have the wide Airush Sector, basically a detuned race board and various surfboards. The surfboards can take as much power as a TT depending on size and rocker.
When the wind drops so that using a 16.5m I can only just hold my position upwind on the Nobile I can still jump on the Sector and ride up wind, do S turns etc. This is already at a stage where dropping the kite seems undesirable as relaunch could be tricky but probably not impossible.
I have been dragging my feet towards hydrofoiling. I am letting friends of mine be the test bunnies. When I am out on the Sector/16.5 they are on hydrofoils and 10m kites. I am about 210 lbs my friends are a bit lighter. Imho we are all having fun, I am at greater risk of a lofting accident and they are at greater risk of being sliced by a foil.
I would love to have a big 19m foil for TT, floaty jumps etc and light wind riding on the race board. I would also love a hydrofoil, but that would also mean that I would have to learn more new skills! Difficult choice but either would be fun!
Good luck with your next purchase, I would love to hear about the result.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:23 pm

A 19m will not get you out in super light wind say 6 knots like a hydrofoil with ultra light kite. The problem is those big kites usually have many struts and are very heavy they work good for a larger rider to ride in 10 knots but they will fall from the sky in conditions where a foil kite or a very light single strut will still fly. If you're like 250 lbs and want to ride in 10 knots with a big door type board then go for it. If you're below 200lbs a 17m will work just as good.

Return to “Kitesurfing”