Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:19 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:36 pm
Soul 8m-10m and Peak 4m-5m would be a better quiver choice.

Bigger peaks add just a small amount of low end to the 5 for hydrofoiling. Mostly they add more pull near that low end limit. Waterstart below 10 knots even with 11 will be very limiting because there is not a huge pull as you loop the kite through the window. Very difficult to get enough pull to get out of the water. Maybe if you put the foil on a SUP you could get the speed to get up on foil?

I think I am an outlier in that I enjoy the big Peaks as most people aren't getting along with them. 5 seems to be the most loved size.
I was kind of wondering about this. I love my Soul 6m for hydrofoiling and my 8m is almost a one kite quiver. I may just mess with long lines to see if I can get a better lower end. I’ve been waiting for the next Sonic in a 11m to complete my quiver but my patience is growing thing.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:20 pm

Closed cell are definately better option for LW. Peak shine in mid to strong wind. So big soul and smaller peaks has more sense. 10m soul and 5 4 3 m peaks is very good quiver or minimalistic 8m soul and 4 m peak.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:37 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:08 pm
Looking to pick up a 8m peak for sub 10kts foiling. Is this realistic? I’m just looking for something for when my Soul 8m can’t get me up anymore.
As tomtom said, don't use the peak as biggest kite, but a high efficient close cell as the soul, IMHO doesn't make sense the other way around, especially as under 10 knts the peak starts to lose part of its magic and the bad habits as drag become dominant. Haven't tried the 8 m² yet, could make sense for your weight, but 5 m² is just a very nice size indeed.

Did another drift launch video, with the 5 m² in around 12 knts, later when riding down to 7 knts, the first tube dropped before I stopped riding, the other one directly after :) , but as said in under 10 knts keeping it in the air during missed manouvers, relaunch and also drift launches, if everything goes wrong, all becomes more complicated.

Not yet happy with my drift launch quote which is especially under 10 knts significantly under 50%, have to test more to find the best method, will come back when I know how to do it the best way.
Kitejunkie-Peak4-Driftlaunch-1.jpg
Kitejunkie-Peak4-Driftlaunch-2.jpg
Kitejunkie-Peak4-Driftlaunch-3.jpg

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:39 am

sorry for being the fanboy but drift launching a peak4 is hellava impressive

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:10 am

jakemoore wrote:
Bigger peaks add just a small amount of low end to the 5 for hydrofoiling. Mostly they add more pull near that low end limit. Waterstart below 10 knots even with 11 will be very limiting because there is not a huge pull as you loop the kite through the window. Very difficult to get enough pull to get out of the water. Maybe if you put the foil on a SUP you could get the speed to get up on foil?
My solution for this is to split the start in to three phases:
1) use 1-2 loops to drive the board under water beneath my feet. Now you’ll be standing on the submerged board about mid thigh deep.
2) use 1-2 more loops to generate forward speed which will bring the foil to the surface.
3) use 1-3 more loops to get up on foil.

This is on a NP Glide L or S and Dwarfcraft 4-5 (25L) and I’m 75 kg 165 lbs and this gets me foiling in as low as 8 knots with the 5m Peak4. It doesn’t get fun though until 10+ knots though.

Annoyingly it requires very deep water to do.

Go to time 4:46

I’d love to know if the 8m or 11m is fun at 8 knots or just a workout like the 5m.

EDIT: oops, had wrong time, fixed.
Last edited by Slappysan on Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:43 am

Slappysan wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:10 am
jakemoore wrote:
1) use 1-2 loops to drive the board under water beneath my feet. Now you’ll be standing on the submerged board about mid thigh deep.
2) use 1-2 more loops to generate forward speed which will bring the foil to the surface.
3) use 1-3 more loops to get up on foil.

This is on a NP Glide L or S and Dwarfcraft 4-5 (25L) and I’m 75 kg 165 lbs and this gets me foiling in as low as 8 knots with the 5m Peak4. It doesn’t get fun though until 10+ knots though.

Annoyingly it requires very deep water to do.

Go to time 7:40

I’d love to know if the 8m or 11m is fun at 8 knots or just a workout like the 5m.
I just skimmed the vid really quick but it looks like to me you are looping to start with the bar sheeted in. Wouldn't you produce more power with it more sheeted out or is the Peak different that way?

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:15 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:43 am
I just skimmed the vid really quick but it looks like to me you are looping to start with the bar sheeted in. Wouldn't you produce more power with it more sheeted out or is the Peak different that way?
I had the wrong time, I fixed the post, supposed to be 4:46

Well balancing on a 25L board with the board submerged underwater when you have no forward momentum is hard so sheeting in fully will often be a factor of me using the bar to help steady my balance.

On top of that the Peak has a very small ideal trim range, too much rear line slack and the power goes to zero very fast. You can hot launch a Peak in the power zone without much issue (it just flaps a lot). If you over sheet all you really have to worry about is backstall and the Peak isn't going to backstall while you are looping it so just think of it as over sheeting the kite until the kite gets moving fast enough in the loop to match that sheeting level.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:35 am

Slappysan wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:10 am

I’m impressed with your sink start in such low wind on the 5. I made two attempts to go very light with the 11, both so light at the beach people did not believe the kite could even fly. Awesome buggy engine in near zero wind. There was enough wind for some strong scudding so I thought a water start would work. Both times I could not get up on the board. Maybe with deeper water I will try your sink start.

I wonder if a lower volume higher area board would be easier for sink start??

I have had some tremendous sessions with the 11 in 9-12 knots by my references. If the 5 is working, a bigger one will have more power. The 11 has very strong pull, but it builds slowly like a ‘78 diesel Mercedes. Although I have not flown the 8, I would choose it before deciding on 11.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:51 pm

Two more impressions to share from chapter "bathing with peak4" :D

First, don't be stupid like me and try to use your Peak2 bag as a harness. Even if it is its origninal manufacturers purpose (on snow with a back protector :idea: ) and even if you have pimped it with a better climbing harness, especially if you not use seat straps, it works, yes.
But it is just not compfortable for more than 10 minutes. ... appart from that it may fill up with water if you don't cut a hole in it ... :oops:
Kitejunkie-Peak2-Bag.jpg
As shown before, relaunch especially if dropped on the nose is possible down to quite low wind, similar to a normal foil kite, just important to always and imediately when falling, keep line tension.

For drift launch it realy seams that 10 knts is the most important factore what you need and as said don't oversheet to much when preparing winding up, but try something like full power all lines equal +/- 10 cm set it by own preference, if winding up to much depowered it may start if you mount it on terrain (for me I never don't know on what place I start next time so I always try to have a setting well for both: land and water drift start)
if you wind up to much oversheeted this will worsen lower wind limit for water drift launch.

@elguapo:
Thanks, but realy not to impressive at all, just try it yourself in 12-16 knts with the named methode first in the shallow until you feel save, then in the deep water sitting on a floating board

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Got a few more visual impressions in which places a Peak4 makes foil kiting possible :D

This is the part of the bay I was mainly riding in with the offshore wind situation as it was while riding, photo taken about 1/2 hour before I started (as also shown in the map last page)
Front part of the picture with vegetation and rocks is the explanation why you would never think about a normal shore launch in this area.
0-the-perfect-Flysurfer-Peak4-Spot.jpg
As said with gust around 12 knts, drift launch with peak4 is not such a big deal if once learned well, but try it first in the shallow
1-Peak4-dropping-from-Sailboat.JPG
A boat, coming in while I drift launched.
2-Peak4-Drift-Launch-Kitejunkie.JPG
3-Peak4s-Bay-Kitejunkie.JPG
First exploring the less gusty and therefore uninteresting :wink: down wind part of the bay.
4-Kitejunkie-in-Peaks-Bay.JPG
Riding around our sailboat, I started from,
5-Kitejunkie-in-Peaks-Bay.JPG
around other sailboats, trying to steal their masthead fly :D
6-Sailboat-Slalom-with-Peak4.JPG

Return to “Foil Kites”