Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Weather models for kite apps

Forum for kitesurfers
beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Weather models for kite apps

Postby beebad » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:42 pm

I love love love the work you have done on your application....it is a great tool for making KB decisions. I like the kite size setting as it is a great guideline that suggests a kite to use. I suppose it is for the typical buff 70kg kiter profile.... kinda cool to be able to customize the kite profile to the individual user.... prolly not necessary....great app just the same...i tell people at launches about it..... we show up at a particular launch and stare at the wind....i carry a kestrel 2000 but haven't found it to be so useful... your app provides an informed starting point and I appreciate all the help i can get and have you to thank for it. :jump:
laf1greg wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:54 pm
Recommending a kite size is way too relative.
In my case they would be 100% wrong.
Hi I'm the developper of https://igetwind.com You can disable kite size in settings if you don't like it :)

To answer the question I would say that for america north part you can compare US model NAM 3km with canadian models LAM on igetwind ( lam is very pssimistic so when it shows sign of life it's usualy a good sign). If you want quick update HRRR is update every hour.

Also I've added a feature that let you compare last model run with current and get trend (go to setting to activate it). If trend is positive usually it's a good sign.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:02 pm

Will you develope a mobile app any time soon? We find you app most useful😀
laf1greg wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 4:54 pm
Recommending a kite size is way too relative.
In my case they would be 100% wrong.
Hi I'm the developper of https://igetwind.com You can disable kite size in settings if you don't like it :)

To answer the question I would say that for america north part you can compare US model NAM 3km with canadian models LAM on igetwind ( lam is very pssimistic so when it shows sign of life it's usualy a good sign). If you want quick update HRRR is update every hour.

Also I've added a feature that let you compare last model run with current and get trend (go to setting to activate it). If trend is positive usually it's a good sign.

laf1greg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Montreal Canada
Favorite Beaches: plattsburgh NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: north

Postby laf1greg » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:40 pm

your app provides an informed starting point and I appreciate all the help i can get and have you to thank for it.
Thanks beebad I'm really glad you find https://igetwind.com usefull !
Will you develope a mobile app any time soon? We find you app most useful😀
Yes I'm currently working on an android version : it's exactly much the same as the website but packaged in an app. Will be coming very soon...

Return to “Kitesurfing”