Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What's the difference between a beginner, intermediate, and advanced twin tip?

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What's the difference between a beginner, intermediate, and advanced twin tip?

Postby Havre » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:36 am

Good post, but it doesn't really prove anything unless, as you say, others have done the same.

To me it sounds odd if they don't change the design somewhat across the range. A beginner needs a board that is easy to ride upwind and that "floats" well. More advanced riders will look for other characteristics.

I haven't tried too many boards unfortunately. Would be fun to test a bit more. I quickly notice when a board is too small (I'm close to 2m tall), but I'm not sure if I could pick out the "beginner" board vs. the "advanced" in a blind test assuming they were both the correct size.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Re: What's the difference between a beginner, intermediate, and advanced twin tip?

Postby Herman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am

Havre. Imho that's the point. In light wind the expert and beginner need the same characteristics it's just that the expert would be really be aware of the weight of a cheap board. A rich beginner and an expert of the same size could well be on the same board.
Arguably no board is too small, it just needs more power. Has anybody barefooted in flat water next to a sandbar in a F8?

Wind Over Water
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Sherman Island
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Been thanked: 0

Postby Wind Over Water » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks all. So it sounds like the main differences are:

1. Rocker profile - beginner boards have less rocker
2. Weight - more advanced kiters may want a lighter board made with carbon

I'm looking for an intermediate level board that's somewhat friendly in light wind conditions. But not too big and bulky, as I want to try jumping soon. What size board should I look for? I'm around 80kg.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:55 am

Herman wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am
Havre. Imho that's the point. In light wind the expert and beginner need the same characteristics it's just that the expert would be really be aware of the weight of a cheap board. A rich beginner and an expert of the same size could well be on the same board.
Arguably no board is too small, it just needs more power. Has anybody barefooted in flat water next to a sandbar in a F8?
I'm not going to say that you are wrong, because I am not qualified to make that judgement. However, if this was the case manufacturers (disregarding marketing) would make one type of board with potentially two different material choices (one lighter one that would cost more). The more advanced you are - the more flexible you would be to the size of the board.

That said. I agree that too much is made out of this. For beginners - go big enough and you are usually quite OK regardless. I have seen fairly inexperienced riders do perfectly fine on 1k boards that were clearly made for more advanced riders.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:31 pm

This is not maths, there are no absolute rules it is just loose description and opinion. There are no hard and fast parameters for the name of any board.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Herman wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:31 pm
This is not maths, there are no absolute rules it is just loose description and opinion. There are no hard and fast parameters for the name of any board.
Best description yet.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Herman (Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:54 pm

IMHO

Advanced TT will be stiffer allowing better pop and better upwind ability at the expense of less comfort on choppy water.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:01 pm

Just got back on the water after a minor injury; took a big TT in very light onshore mush. Nobile XL 143X48. Sort of conditions that would look ok for learning. The footstrap placement on the board has a major bias to heelside. I am 210lbs and I could just get up and down the beach if I stood over the board, the foot strap bias created the optimum board edge angle with out any leaning.

I think a big guy could learn on this setup but I am pretty sure that the typical beginner would over edge this board in the light or underpowered conditions frequently used by beginners.

My advice to someone learning on this type of set up would be to edge hard for the waterstart and then roll up to stand over the board. They will probably edge too hard naturally.

Footstrap heelside bias just another thing for the beginner not to worry too much about!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:47 pm

Hmmm.... I differ from most of the advice here. I think there is a difference between beginner and advanced boards.

Beginner boards are made to be generic boards to fit a wide range of activities but are not good at any one activity.

Advanced boards exploit a particular niche that makes that board excel in those conditions or in that style. EG A wake style board has boots, high rocker to soke up harsh landings, Airstyle board is super small and light to be flipped around. Dudes park style features will probably have no fins. Guys chasing waves and storm kiting will have more rounded tips and flex with higher rocker. Each one of those types of boards will be shit for a learner bit will excel in their chosen field.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:13 am

plummet wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:47 pm
Hmmm.... I differ from most of the advice here. I think there is a difference between beginner and advanced boards.

Beginner boards are made to be generic boards to fit a wide range of activities but are not good at any one activity.

Advanced boards exploit a particular niche that makes that board excel in those conditions or in that style. EG A wake style board has boots, high rocker to soke up harsh landings, Airstyle board is super small and light to be flipped around. Dudes park style features will probably have no fins. Guys chasing waves and storm kiting will have more rounded tips and flex with higher rocker. Each one of those types of boards will be shit for a learner bit will excel in their chosen field.
I agree 100%. To the OP: since your local spot is SF, you will be in solid 20 knot winds with bay chop. I suggest you not go too big. The bigger and beginner boards being referred to in this thread are more for 10-15 knots. I also suggest you go to a kite store to see in person all the factors being mentioned. Even if you buy used, they likely have a few for any budget.

Return to “Kitesurfing”