Forum for kitesurfers
antonioc6
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride waves
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone Catalyst vs Endura and Edge

Postby antonioc6 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:55 am

Hi. Anyone riding Ozone Catalyst? All oponions are welcome.
What is the main difference for an Ozone Enduro or the Edge?

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Re: Ozone Catalyst vs Endura and Edge

Postby Pana » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:31 am

The Catalyst ,since it got the versions with V1, is a learning kite. Aimed at making things easy more than based on performance.

The Enduro is somewhat a crossover, more an all around kite with bridal adjustments between wave,freeride and freestyle.

The Edge is a performace, freeride and boosting machine.

If you are a fast learner go with the Enduro, it will not let you down.

antonioc6
Rare Poster

Postby antonioc6 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:18 am

Tx. But regarding the catalyst is that performance so poor? Do you notice lack of velocity etc?

Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife

Postby Pana » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Never tried the catalyst since the change to the V series. Saw instructors riding them in Dom Rep and looked fine. I would be surprised a company like Ozone would let out anything worth buying. Performance would not be poor but not as high as other models as tuning aimed at making things easy.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:39 pm

The Enduro and the Edge require better kite handling skills to get the most out of them. Can a beginner use the Enduro, sure but it will do much more with a more advanced rider. The Catalyst is more stable and takes a bit more input to get it to start the turn but once moving is fine. Better for a beginner so it doesn’t feel twitchy very time you do something you are not meaning. Also, relaunches great. Personally, I wouldn’t want to learn beginner stuff on an Edge.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post (total 2):
Havre (Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:52 pm) • iriejohn (Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:21 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:51 pm

Sometimes I can´t help thinking that Ozone made a mistake branding the Catalyst as beginner friendly as people end up thinking is a "simpe" kite.

I would argue whenever I have been kiting 90-95% of the people on the water are not skilled enough to have outgrown the Catalyst. I have seen some very good kiters doing some fairly advanced moves with the Catalyst.

The Catalyst isn´t especially slow if that is what you mean with velocity.

It is ridiculously stable and by far the easiest kite I have tried when it comes to water relaunch. It almost bounces off the water.

That said I prefer the Enduro. And the Enduro is hardly a difficult kite to ride.

If easy water relaunch is important for you I would say pick the Catalyst. And/or if finances is tight and you can´t justify the extra cost of the Enduro.

If you are advanced or like to kite quite a lot - choose the Enduro (assuming finances isn´t an issue). Also the Enduro is a bit of a jack of all trades. Probably more so than the Catalyst.

Edge is a slightly different beast. If you want that last meter and second from your jumps - go for the Edge. To me the Edge is a bit more niche. Not to say you can´t use it for anything, but becomes quite pointless paying for more an Edge if you are not doing some serious jumping in my opinion.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
iriejohn (Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:22 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby IWB2 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:52 pm

Antonio6,
the Ozone Catalyst V1 is a very stable, smooth riding, forgiving kite which makes it suitable to all skill levels. Rides like an offroad car with excellent suspension. Typically these features found on the Cat V1 benefit those learning, however these feature also appeal to intermediate and advanced riders as well. The Cat V1 absorbs gusts very well making it smooth and predictable. Can easily be used by riders using surf or foilboards. The Cat V1 can jump but does not have that same explosive boost that you will find on the Enduro or Edge. If your learning and want a kite that will give you confidence and allow for fast progression then highly recommend the Cat series. The Enduro and Edge can be a little more intimidating when learning in higher winds as they feel more explosive but when you have got your kite skills down they are super fun. If you want loads of hangtime in jumps then the Edge is the way to go. The Edge makes jumping really easy IMO. The Enduro is also a very versatile kite with faster turning and more grunt. The Cat will have the easiest water relaunching of the group.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:21 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:39 pm
The Enduro and the Edge require better kite handling skills to get the most out of them. Can a beginner use the Enduro, sure but it will do much more with a more advanced rider. The Catalyst is more stable and takes a bit more input to get it to start the turn but once moving is fine. Better for a beginner so it doesn’t feel twitchy very time you do something you are not meaning. Also, relaunches great. Personally, I wouldn’t want to learn beginner stuff on an Edge.
Agreed.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:25 pm

IWB2 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:52 pm
Antonio6,
the Ozone Catalyst V1 is a very stable, smooth riding, forgiving kite which makes it suitable to all skill levels. Rides like an offroad car with excellent suspension. Typically these features found on the Cat V1 benefit those learning, however these feature also appeal to intermediate and advanced riders as well. The Cat V1 absorbs gusts very well making it smooth and predictable. Can easily be used by riders using surf or foilboards. The Cat V1 can jump but does not have that same explosive boost that you will find on the Enduro or Edge. If your learning and want a kite that will give you confidence and allow for fast progression then highly recommend the Cat series. The Enduro and Edge can be a little more intimidating when learning in higher winds as they feel more explosive but when you have got your kite skills down they are super fun. If you want loads of hangtime in jumps then the Edge is the way to go. The Edge makes jumping really easy IMO. The Enduro is also a very versatile kite with faster turning and more grunt. The Cat will have the easiest water relaunching of the group.
The Enduro (I have V2's) also drifts quite nicely on a wave.

antonioc6
Rare Poster

Postby antonioc6 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:20 pm

Guys this topic was really useful for me. Learned a lot with all of you. Thank you all for your availability to write giving all your opinions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”