Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarding Travel Guide: Langebaan South Africa

Post your videos here. Use the "Video" tag to embed Youtube and Vimeo videos!
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Kiteboarding Travel Guide: Langebaan South Africa

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:09 am

When we think of South Africa, the images that typically come to mind are incredible wildlife roaming the grassy plains or the sparkling city of Cape Town. But only 90 minutes drive up the coast is a holiday haven with a beautiful blue lagoon.

In this edition of Destinations, we're visiting Langebaan, South Africa.

In South Africa's Western Cape, there are kite spots all along the coast. However, few locations bring the warm water and all level friendly conditions of Langebaan. This dreamy kite Destination is complete with a relaxed small town vibe along the lagoon beachfront. Langebaan is the perfect blend of kite trip and beach holiday. If you're looking for a family friendly location where you can still get in some epic sessions, Langebaan is the place to go.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiteboarding Travel Guide: Langebaan South Africa

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:07 pm

That's pretty well done, not much to find fault with. Personally I find Langebaan boring now, just flat water, but 10 years ago it helped me get comfortable in Cape Town. I usually go up there for one or two days each season for a change of pace and to visit the West Coast National Park that the lagoon is part of. If I had a foil board in South Africa I imagine I would go more as foiling in Cape Town itself is for experts only, and I'm not that good yet.

Her Cape Town video from a month ago is also pretty good, although entirely focussed on Kite Beach and Bloubergstrand. There is so much more to kiting in Cape Town and the Western Cape, but perhaps the locals (I'm almost one) would prefer the hordes of visiting kiters not to know about all the other spots! Anyone who watches Kevin Langeree's videos will know about a few of them, however.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiteboarding Travel Guide: Langebaan South Africa

Postby Havre » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:21 am

Only thing I would disagree with is Langebaan being a "beach destination" (or whatever she called it). I was there for almost 3 weeks and I could count on one hand the number of people sunbathing on quiet days on that beach. If you are bringing loved ones for them to have a "beach holiday" while you are kiting they will be disappointed. Langebaan is not like Cabarete, Zanzibar etc. when it comes to the beach.

Excellent place to kite though. Would highly recommend it if you like "flatish" water. And I really liked the village as well. Not the place to go if you want to party, but a very friendly place.

Return to “Videos”