Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M
Brand Affiliation: None

Kiteboarding in San Juan in June/July

Postby Tony in FL » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Hi. My girlfriend and I are thinking about going to San Juan later this month for a kiteboarding vacation (we had been considering South Pardre, but now are thinking PR). We are leaning toward snagging an AirBnB near either Ocean Park or Isla Verde. We will probably stay about a month and ideally rent a car only when we want to go exploring other areas. So we would like to be at a location close enough to walk to a nice beach for kiting as well as to restaurants, bars, supermarkets, etc. It looks like either Ocean Park or Isla Verde could work. Are either of those locations better than the other or are there other spots we should consider instead?

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kiteboarding in San Juan in June/July

Postby elguapo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:12 pm

depends how you define "better"
i've rented in ocean park... has gated area so not as crowded but also not as convenient concerning restaurants .
isla verde is more touristy, imo(and beach is more popular)..but i've never stayed there.

it SEEMED like there were more kiters at ocean park and more windsurfers launching in isla verde
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
Tony in FL (Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:06 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

matts
Rare Poster

Postby matts » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:21 pm

Ocean Park is the busiest kitespot on PR, meaning 5-10 kiters during the week... choppy inside the reef

Isla Verde is closer to a nice wave spot at the reef. but if you're experienced, you also could stay in ocean park and launch at the ultimo trolley beach.
Luquillo is an easy shorebreak wave spot. There are some more nice wave spots west of SJ, but takes some driving and I've never seen other kiters (only been there 1 month).

If I'd go again in a group, I'd start with a downwinder from Pinones to the Bacardi distillery, that way you see a lot from SJ, including the forts.

dm me if you have more questions. I stayed in ocean park.

I also planned on renting a car only for some trips, but ended up with an offer for ca. 25USD/day for a mid sized car...
These users thanked the author matts for the post:
Tony in FL (Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:22 pm

matts wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:21 pm
Ocean Park is the busiest kitespot on PR, meaning 5-10 kiters during the week... choppy inside the reef

Isla Verde is closer to a nice wave spot at the reef. but if you're experienced, you also could stay in ocean park and launch at the ultimo trolley beach.
Luquillo is an easy shorebreak wave spot. There are some more nice wave spots west of SJ, but takes some driving and I've never seen other kiters (only been there 1 month).

If I'd go again in a group, I'd start with a downwinder from Pinones to the Bacardi distillery, that way you see a lot from SJ, including the forts.

dm me if you have more questions. I stayed in ocean park.

I also planned on renting a car only for some trips, but ended up with an offer for ca. 25USD/day for a mid sized car...

thats a helluva deal..
...for puerto rico

that's why i kinda never had the desire to return... you get all all the negatives/annoyances of a DR.. but at way over-inflated inflated prices.

imo, if the jones act ever got repeal... PR will boom (shipping/cost of...everything would decrease)
but right now....
*no thanks*

Return to “Kitesurfing”