Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:07 am

slowboat wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:12 pm
This whole thread should just be erased.
Why is that, slowbie? Ain't cha havin fun. Learnin things. Exploring the depths of the human psyche.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
PullStrings (Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Re: We should be wearing sunglasses throughout the day and especially while kiteboarding! Why aren't we?

Postby leepasty » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:09 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:36 am
leepasty wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:57 pm
Love my new LiP Sunglasses Typhoon watershades.
I see your profile mentions waves. Are you using polarized lenses in the waves? Are you just hydrofoilling waves, or riding a directional too?
Hi
sorry i thought i replied before but it must not of sent?
I find polarised lenses fine in waves and that you can actually see the whitecaps and wave better instead of squinting from the glare.
i think issues with polarised looking through the water is when it is glassy. i have not used them surfing so cant comment on it but when fishing you can see through the water when no wind but not when its windy and whitecaps.
its all about how sunny, bright and how much glare. if you can see better with sunglasses then you will be able to read the wave better.
Have a look at Ben Proffits, video of him windsurfing in OZ wearing the Lip sunglasses and you will see plenty of good turns and loops.

Of course it more comes down to how well you read the wave in the 1st place if you can do a good turn or not but for sure the Lip Typhoon watershades are the best I've ever used.
check them out via the link :D
https://www.lip-sunglasses.com/products ... on/?ref=30

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:22 am

Matteo V wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:21 am
1st deer - raccoon came out first, then a split second later, the deer. I hit both, the raccoon did some damage underneath that totaled the vehicle. This was in Kansas just before midnight

2nd deer - less than 40days later on my new vehicle with just under 3000miles on it, is when the next one jumped out in front of me in Montana and smashed the glass into my face at 70mph. Again those safety glasses allowed me to continue to see through a bit of gap where the windshield pulled away from the pillar.

Stay safe Matteo :thumb:

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:31 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:22 am

That's a good quote! Sad that there are many voters that are dumb enough to believe it to be true.

But the best part is that you are out of steam on the original topic and now just straight up resorting to ad hominem points. Did $200 sunglasses sales fall off a bit at the Kiosk? I apologize if my exposing the reality of the "rip-off" cost you some commission. I do not wish to cause you financial harm.

Personally I would suggest just restating the same sales pitch lines you were throwing around before. That would at least get the people who would think along similar lines to your above meme, to maybe buy back into the idea of them "needing" to pay $200 for kiteboarding sunglasses.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
PullStrings (Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:08 pm

:lol:
How much are people willing to pay for a necessary kiteboarding harness ?
From what i SEE way over 200 bucks :thumb:

But do they wear their expensive harnesses driving their car ?....Ummmmmm P.S. sometimes i leave mine on plus my sunnies to go home :wink: (800 ft drive...& no deer )
Driving a car with high end shades gives them additional value....double purpose...more for your bucks...especially when the wrap lenses are safety high tech

Thanks for playing along Matty
You're not so bad
By the way that crying lady meme was ready made
Just happened to stumble on it
What are the odds ?
:sun:

Hey i recommend a very secure leash on this pair...it's a real sinker

Cartier Panthere ....$159,000

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:34 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:08 pm
Thanks for playing along Matty
You're not so bad
By the way that crying lady meme was ready made
Just happened to stumble on it
What are the odds ?
Happy to play along! You ain't so bad either. But the odds of finding a ready made meme on the internet are pretty much 1 in 1. I made my "pulley busters" meme just to add a bit of originality to a thread that was too "cut and paste" for my liking.

PullStrings wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:08 pm
:lol:
How much are people willing to pay for a necessary kiteboarding harness ?
From what i SEE way over 200 bucks :thumb:
So are you claiming a false equivalency here? It kind of seems like it. Lets see........Bit of Terrance Popp math here, but I think the point will come across.

- lowest price for a functional harness on closeout $100
- highest(?) price for a functional harness this years model new $400
Percentage price increase between lowest price and top of the line 300%

- lowest price for functional sunglasses for kitesurfing $1
- highest(?) price for functional sunglasses for kitesurfing $1,190
Percentage price increase between lowest price and top of the line 118900% for these Oakley sunglasses (psssst.....the coating is really nice on these)
P00373230.jpg
P00373230.jpg (3.35 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
P00373230_d2.jpg
P00373230_d2.jpg (5.79 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Ok that is just a bit disingenuous of me. More accurate would be to say,

- lowest price for functional sunglasses for kitesurfing $1
- highest(?) price for functional sunglasses for kitesurfing $250
Percentage price increase between lowest price and top of the line 24900%

So comparing your sunglasses, which are definitely not a needed accessory for kiteboarding (many kiters kite without them), to a harness which virtually no one can go without while kiteboarding, gives you a pretty big spread. Seriously, high end quality harnesses are only 300% more than the base line, while high end sunglasses are raking in a 24900% increase!

Nice scam.

stonecoldgrace
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mui Ne, Vietnam; Pak Nam Pran, Thailand; Bantry, Ireland
Favorite Beaches: Phan Rang, Mui Ne, Pranburi
Style: freeride
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby stonecoldgrace » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:11 am

Yeah, and coming from someone who's seen way too many friends develop surfers eye after years of kiting without eye protection, it should defo be much higher on our priorities list. :cry:

I see a few have already mentioned them, but I'll reiterate that LiP is a go-to for me. Super high quality and durable, lenses are second to none, and yes as @tegirinenashi asked, they do help massively with water spray because the lenses have hydrophobic and oleophobic coatings. We reviewed both the Typhoons and the cheaper model, the Surge at length in this article if anyone is keen to know more details: https://extremenomads.life/the-world-be ... unglasses/

Only thing about them that might put people off is that they don't float (there is a good reason for that though, it was an intentional choice from the designers to save on weight and comfort. They use super strong leashes instead). But if you're looking for a pair of floaties, they did actually just release a new pair this week. Good all-rounders for low impact sports, not specifically for kiting since they don't have a retainer system. But worth checking out the review if you're looking for floaties specifically: https://extremenomads.life/best-floating-sunglasses/

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:34 pm

stonecoldgrace wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:11 am
Yeah, and coming from someone who's seen way too many friends develop surfers eye after years of kiting without eye protection, it should defo be much higher on our priorities list. :cry:

I see a few have already mentioned them, but I'll reiterate that LiP is a go-to for me. Super high quality and durable, lenses are second to none, and yes as @tegirinenashi asked, they do help massively with water spray because the lenses have hydrophobic and oleophobic coatings. We reviewed both the Typhoons and the cheaper model, the Surge at length in this article if anyone is keen to know more details: https://extremenomads.life/the-world-be ... unglasses/

Only thing about them that might put people off is that they don't float (there is a good reason for that though, it was an intentional choice from the designers to save on weight and comfort. They use super strong leashes instead). But if you're looking for a pair of floaties, they did actually just release a new pair this week. Good all-rounders for low impact sports, not specifically for kiting since they don't have a retainer system. But worth checking out the review if you're looking for floaties specifically: https://extremenomads.life/best-floating-sunglasses/
Great first post :thumb:
Thank you :coolshades:

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:29 am

jakemoore wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:28 am
sergei Scotland wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 am
Plus after cataract op:

2). About 60% get vitriol body detachment from the retina. While not immediately dangerous it results in 10-15 percent risk of retina detachment over next 5 years. So effectively you have 1 in 14/20 chance of going almost blind. Which they don't tell you.
Dang, even Aussies get better cataract results than the Scots!

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaop ... le/1214784
Thanks Jake,
OK I did get it wrong I think - it is retina breaks one gets after vitrious body detachment (PVD) , not retina detachment. But retina breaks cause retina detachment in a big number of cases (50%? ). It is a milder condition though, I. E. one has a break in retina which is not detached from the back if the eye. I bet it sucks though:
https://www.aao.org/preferred-practice- ... ks-latti-6
I will try to find the original paper with stats I remember. I think the cataract ops without stitches suck as there is now data that about 30 or 40% (AFAICR) of eyes leak via the incision which probably result in more severe vitrious body detachments and more danger.
Your article gives stats (1% retina detachment) for older ops when stitches were still used probably - - which might explain the difference. Just look for leaks after cataract op scientific papers and you should be able to find it. Sorry do not have a link. It was a recent paper Afaicr. It is not from the Mirror or Internet though.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:04 am

We can find a peripheral retinal tear in about 1/30 people with or without cataract surgery. But autopsy studies put it at 1/10 as cadavers are easier to examine. About 1/100 get a detachment in their life. There is an increased incidence around the time of cataract removal, possibly removal of volume and possibly surgical trauma. One of the biggest risk groups is refractive lens exchange in younger high myopes. Most people experience vitreous detachment before cataract surgery. That is a rite of passage. I had a 40 y/o get a PVD and horseshoe tear after riding a roller coaster. I lasered it and he did well.

I wish all my patients could do well! I wish people did not abuse contact lenses. I had one last week with a pseudomonas corneal ulcer. He was lost to follow up when we let him out of the hospital. I hope he doesn’t get a glass eye. I wish everybody wore sunglasses and safety glasses. There is no doubt nicer glasses are nicer for vision more than fashion, but even the cheap lenses MatteoV style make my life easier and Zenni is better than wearing your sisters contacts 3 months straight.

Return to “Kitesurfing”