Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Essaouira with the Mrs

Postby BrianMaiden » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:54 am

Hi i'm going to Essaouira at the start of September. Can someone tell me the best place to kite for both waves and no crowds? my preference is strapless in waves but i'll go twin tip if its 40+ knots . I'm experienced so strong wind and difficult conditions aren't a problem

Also , can anyone recommend a really good Riad or Hotel with a pool for my partner to chill whilst being close to the town? i'm happy to get a taxi anywhere with my kite equipment - i hear they are cheap? thanks :thumb:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Re: Essaouira with the Mrs

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:59 pm

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:50 pm

Both waves and no crowds: half an hours drive to Moulay. Moulay is the spot for (pretty heavy) waveriding. Nothing to do apart from kiting/windsurfing.
We stayed in Essaouira, got ourselfs a Riad in the old city via AirBNB. Awesome. If you'r looking for a pool, you'd need to look in the new city, or outside of the city. Can't really help you there.

Kiting in essaouira itself can be good, though the wind can be more gusty then Moulay. As a rule the wind is a little too much onshore for solid waveriding. The bay is massive though, great for TT riding. I doubt it ever gets really busy.

Enjoy: we did.
These users thanked the author or6 for the post:
BrianMaiden (Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:21 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:07 pm

How's the wind in late October? I'm hydrofoiling, so +10 knots I'm ok. Thinking about combo family / kite week

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster

Postby BrianMaiden » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:21 pm

or6 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:50 pm
Both waves and no crowds: half an hours drive to Moulay. Moulay is the spot for (pretty heavy) waveriding. Nothing to do apart from kiting/windsurfing.
We stayed in Essaouira, got ourselfs a Riad in the old city via AirBNB. Awesome. If you'r looking for a pool, you'd need to look in the new city, or outside of the city. Can't really help you there.

Kiting in essaouira itself can be good, though the wind can be more gusty then Moulay. As a rule the wind is a little too much onshore for solid waveriding. The bay is massive though, great for TT riding. I doubt it ever gets really busy.

Enjoy: we did.
:thumb: perfect, thanks!

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:21 pm

We run trips each year to Essaouira (normally in May though) and stay in the medina. September is near the end of their season so you can be lucky or indeed unlucky.
Myself and my wife did a trip there in Sept 2015 and scored Moulay sweet as you can see here...

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 am

Moulay is awesome - but be on your A game, as the waves can be well over head high & very punchy - be very careful atlow tide, as there is a very large bolder that gets exposed & terrified me on a bottom turn.

Sidi Kaoke to the South of Essaouira is my favourite spot, it works as a point to beach break, there is a local kite shop & the owner is a top bloke.

Essaouira bay is nice. with waves increasing in height the further south you go.

Most importantly, to keep the Mrs/kids very happy - stay here in Sidi Kaoke - https://www.rebaliriads.com/
- not cheap but breakfast gets served at your villa, walled gardens, private pools, great staff, tennis & massages !.... and the beach is a 3 min walk!!
These users thanked the author Robsw6 for the post:
BrianMaiden (Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:08 am)
Rating: 3.03%

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster

Postby BrianMaiden » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:17 am

TheRussian wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:56 am
Moulay is awesome - but be on your A game, as the waves can be well over head high & very punchy - be very careful atlow tide, as there is a very large bolder that gets exposed & terrified me on a bottom turn.

Sidi Kaoke to the South of Essaouira is my favourite spot, it works as a point to beach break, there is a local kite shop & the owner is a top bloke.

Essaouira bay is nice. with waves increasing in height the further south you go.

Most importantly, to keep the Mrs/kids very happy - stay here in Sidi Kaoke - https://www.rebaliriads.com/
- not cheap but breakfast gets served at your villa, walled gardens, private pools, great staff, tennis & massages !.... and the beach is a 3 min walk!!
thank you! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”