A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Liquid force Impulse v Moses Onda 91

Postby mar menor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Anyone tested both? Also the LF Galaxy and Moses T38

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Liquid force Impulse v Moses Onda 91

Postby Macster » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:49 am

Well as it turns out you are in luck cause we own both of these setups.

I run the Moses 683s on the t38 board and 91cm mast off the fluente. My wife has the galaxy board and the impulse cloud wings with 70cm and 90cm masts.

Moses wins but I would happily ride both. Here's my simpleton take on the differences:

Boards: I like the galaxy as it's less buoyant has a sculpted deck that contours to your feet and is easier for strapless, doesn't have the t nuts stabbing into your feet like the Moses board and there are screw inserts to mount one foot strap on the front in the middle.

Both boards bounce you back up if you touch down and the Moses is a bit lighter. The galaxy's got this seem that runs around the edge / rail of the whole board which I have damaged when tying the board down tightly on my roof racks. It seems more fragile than the Moses.

Mast. The aluminium mast is wobbly and heavy compared to the Moses. This is my biggest complaint of the LF. I sUppose you get use to it after a while but it just doesnt feel aa tight and connect to you when under foot.

The LF wings are more stable, track straighter and will have you up on the foil in no time and doing air transitions like a pro. They are slower and less nimble than the 683s however. Also, the LF wings are more durable and a good option if you are learning.

Considering the price difference, I think the LF is a solid option and a really fun, free ride, learner to intermediate foil.

If you've got the budget go premium Moses but maybe pair it with a different board.

Kitehume
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Lake Hume, Australia.
Favorite Beaches: Corona Beach
Isolation Bay
Gear: Oceanrodeo Rise Aluula 12m
Oceanrodeo Roam Aluula 10m
Oceanrodeo Roam Aluula 7m
Oceanrodeo flite 10m
Ocean rodeo flite 14.5m
Shinn king gee 146x46
Shinn monk gold 135x42
Shinn Sunburner 112cm
Armstrong Hs1050

Postby Kitehume » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:16 am

I was cross shopping the Moses 633 or 683 against the Liquid force impulse foil. In the end I went for the impulse foil. Mainly because I’m a tight ass. And it’s great no regrets. One day I will reward myself with a Moses foil. But I’m in no hurry.

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:59 am

Thank you both for your replies. Macster,I am looking for a comparison with the Onda 633 which I believe is more stable than the 683s? My concerns re Moses are the sharp edges on the wings and mast,seen a few people with nasty cuts from them (the Impulse is more rounded ,less sharp and less likely to cut you ? ) Regarding the Galaxy which size do you have? Have you tried the Moses foil with Galaxy board?

Kitehulme ,for tight ass (and I include myself in that category) Moses are bringing out a 'package' Onda 633 with their own aluminium mast,which will be much cheaper than the carbon (but much heavier)
Decisions,decisions......

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Right time to ask question - is LF staying in kite business? Later development and crew leaving says the company might focus back on wakeboard gear where they started.
I’m sure Cloud9 will still sell foils and hopefully will stay compatible

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:28 pm

mar menor wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:59 am
Thank you both for your replies. Macster,I am looking for a comparison with the Onda 633 which I believe is more stable than the 683s? My concerns re Moses are the sharp edges on the wings and mast,seen a few people with nasty cuts from them (the Impulse is more rounded ,less sharp and less likely to cut you ? ) Regarding the Galaxy which size do you have? Have you tried the Moses foil with Galaxy board?

Kitehulme ,for tight ass (and I include myself in that category) Moses are bringing out a 'package' Onda 633 with their own aluminium mast,which will be much cheaper than the carbon (but much heavier)
The Onda 633 is a great foil which is easy & fun to ride, manoeuvrable, and stable. If you don't like the sharp edges just get some suitable wet and dry sandpaper and round them off to your safety requirements as I did. The sharp edges are not a problem as you can choose to alter them. If your foil has got really rounded edges and less performance as a result, you can't change the edges back to sharp.
I can't see why people get worked up about sharp edges on foils when it is such an easy issue to fix.
Forget the alloy mast, try the carbon mast version of the 633, you won't be disappointed. If you compared the two masts you wouldn't bother with the alloy version.

It is really important to try the different foils you are considering before you spend your hard earned money. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone on the beach who'll give you a go if you are already able to foil.

Have fun, AusDave

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:43 pm

drsurf wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:28 pm
mar menor wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:59 am

The Onda 633 is a great foil which is easy & fun to ride, manoeuvrable, and stable. If you don't like the sharp edges just get some suitable wet and dry sandpaper and round them off to your safety requirements as I did. The sharp edges are not a problem as you can choose to alter them. If your foil has got really rounded edges and less performance as a result, you can't change the edges back to sharp.

Have fun, AusDave
Can someone tell something about the performance issues or feeling after a fixed or sanded wingtips?
I bought a second handed kit with some work done on the wing so I have no comparison to make. How bad it could be until it may compromise the glide feeling?

drone
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Latvia's coast Beaches
Style: Freeride, foil, snow, ice.
Gear: FS, SS, LF, C, N, B.

Postby drone » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:37 am

I own impuls. Tried onda.
Onda is faster wing. Glide really smooth. Turns wel and sharp. To fast for waves. Not so stable on roll axis as Impulse.
Impulse have a bit more lift. Really stabile. Good for waves.
I recomend for waves and not so agile people Impulse. Onda is good olraunder for trick.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:15 pm

Cefirmeza wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Can someone tell something about the performance issues or feeling after a fixed or sanded wingtips?
I bought a second handed kit with some work done on the wing so I have no comparison to make. How bad it could be until it may compromise the glide feeling?
yes,
I have kept a new 633 with a new 483 stab, I only use it when benchmarking the performance of my in use sanded wings, front and rear, which have rounded tips for safety and blunted trailing edge so I can press my hand hard on the thin edges and and run along the full edge without fearing a cut, but I have also sanded all working surfaces to also remove all factory imperfections, tiny lumps and bumps that are always there, also the paint that is too thick around the trailing edge that causes a tiny inverted lip, (on many front and rear wings) and most guys are not aware of it, just hold a flat edge rule on the trailing edge or simply use your fingers to feel this raised flip on the sharp edge.
I use grit paper and go right back down to the base carbon, removing all paint and logo transfers with 240 paper, fill any tiny air holes with glass compound, give 2-3 coats of acrylic matt black, let cure for around 6 hours at room temp and then using 800 paper polish the surface gently front to back then as the paper starts to stick a little, swap over to 1200 or 2000 paper for a superb glossy matt perfect finish, run water over the full surface to check it sticks on every bit of the surface creating a mirror type finish from edge to edge.
I have found my "In Use" used wings with blunted edges and rounded tips are smoother and as a result feel slightly faster than my brand new wings, which I put down to how stable they are at top speed.
I find its easier to maintain the finish when the surfaces have been fine finished to glossy matt finish as well, any marks are easy to remove with wet 2000 grade paper, leaving no rubbing/sanding marks when finally dried off with microfibre or dry clean tissue paper.
All references to using grit paper are used of course with lots of fresh clean water, never allowing the paper to grip and stick.
and trailing edges are always finished off with 600 paper wrapped around a small wood block, using 4-6 strokes at 30deg on each side and then blunting off with 2 full length strokes at 90deg, then skin test carefully, and one or two more strokes at 90deg if not happy, (pictures of this glossy matt finish below)

Image Image
These users thanked the author Foil for the post (total 2):
Oldman (Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:09 am) • andrzej351 (Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:00 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Oldman
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: . Foil, surfboard

Postby Oldman » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:12 am

Those wings look awesome!
The next time you process another wing, could you post a step-by-step for us?
Many thanks

Return to “Hydrofoil”