Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New marginal wind weapon: Kruiser Lightwind

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New marginal wind weapon: Kruiser Lightwind

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat May 04, 2019 5:58 pm

My 2-week-though : I think I'll stick to the 1200 for my style of ride, Reasons are:
- even in 4-5 knot with the 18m Pulsion I stay upwind with no need for more upwind angle overall : since I never ride far away from the cost in those winds, and i never do long-distance
- not really looking for more speed since neither 1100 nor 1200 in 5-6 knots will provide "exciting" speed. I can live without the slighlty higher speed of the 1100.
- more agility at low speed is my main interest in marginal winds
- more agility and less speed is better during my rare but appreciated sessions of waves.
- a slight difference in minimum planning speed does not make any difference to me , since as soon as i am on the board , no i can go up foiling (60kg and light pumping if needed)

Unfortunatelly i did not try , so open to evolution. But yesterday a ketos female pro-rider (almost same weight and riding both wings) confirmed the better adéquation of the 1200 for my application: 1100 for upwind angle, stability to keep a straight line, comfort in long distance, whine 1200 turns significantly better .

And as soon as there is 6 knots i can ride my ex-light wind wing (higher AR , 850 cm2 ) and get far better speed (and enough for my taste) than both 1100 a 1200.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Sun May 05, 2019 10:25 pm

I normally ride the FR2 and if I am in rough water or waves then I go with the Wave XL. I also have the FR XL and the FreeRace. I did not really like FR XL and will sell it, it is a bigger version of the FR2 and does what it is suppose to do but was not as much fun.

I really like the Kruiser but it has a very different feel from the other wings. I can switch between the FR2, Wave XL without really thinking. The FR XL feels different to me and it balances different and I have to spend time on it before I get use to it. With the FR XL, if I pick up speed I feel like I have to change my balance.

The Kruiser feels very different to me but is very comfortable, I have to adjust my kite flying and my balance a little from the FR2 but it feels good. I can pick up speed and it does not seem to hit a wall or change balance. It takes so little energy while cruising that my Flysurfer kite seems to fly noticeably more up wind. It takes almost no speed to get up on the foil yet it likes to move along at a nice speed and I never have to put more front foot weight down to keep the front down, it has lift but it is very balanced lift. If I have lots of wind I still think the FR2 is probably more fun but look forward to riding the Kruiser more. Sometimes while using it I wonder how they did it, they made it big but kept the drag down. I can go something like 2 mph and stay up on the foil, it is surprising. I am looking forward to testing the ultra low wind limits with this wing and also like it when the wind is side shore and I am way off shore or even off shore, I feel comfortable that I will get back to shore.
These users thanked the author sedluk for the post:
Breze (Mon May 06, 2019 8:23 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu May 16, 2019 5:26 am

I have not had a chance for marginal winds but have ridden underpowered. For my 190 lbs I foil up between 7-8 knots of water speed. It likes to go 12-15 knots. 18 knots is easy with an underpowered kite. I’m not chasing the top speed but suspect is considerably more.

Super fun wing. I can confirm with it’s size it is easy to feel wave energy. Paired with a small stab there is no lack of maneuverability to enjoy turns in a wave. But compared to surf foils I have ridden it accelerates so easily it is difficult not to outrun the wave. A true surf wing probably is a little slower.
29F66378-0746-43B7-A20F-82246B19343F.jpeg
E941C3E2-B97A-400B-8131-3778F984FCE4.jpeg

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 am

Hi Jake, What surf foil you are referring to? Any chance you rode moses onda 633 to compare? Did you rode it with peaks? Was upwind much better?

many thank!!!

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Thu May 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Go, Cloud 9 and Takuma clone all in bay chop swell. All of these wings in my experience have much more lift at a low speed and like to ride at a lower speed when fooling around with low kite power.

I have not ridden the Onda 633 and have only seen one in person once. The Moses riders here are all riding fast and high aspect wings.

If I were to describe this Ketos wing in one word it would be "efficient" So far I have ridden only with 7m Hyperlink and 6m Boxer. Easy riding and great upwind in 10-12 knots on these kites. I am looking forward to some single-skin sessions with it.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu May 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Thank you very much

I rode own Onda 633 and I rode Takuma. Takuma is MUCH slower and liftier than Onda - Onda is quite fast - faster than some much smaller no so good freeride foils /North speedster, Nobile/
Im looking for some faster wing for these wave less days.

Looking forward to SS tests.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:56 am

Interested in this wing to pair with single skin kites. My boards are plate mounts. Anyone have experience with tuttle to plate adapters that work well with ketos masts?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Ketos is KF box not tuttle and they make a nice carbon adapter which I use. Works well.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:07 pm

Works as advertised.
87099E95-FBBA-4EBE-BA23-C6382E293CDF.png
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:01 pm) • Regis-de-giens (Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:07 am)
Rating: 6.06%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:18 pm

:o

We may be reaching peak light wind! That shot is amazing.

Ketos makes such slick stuff.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
jakemoore (Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:06 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”