Forum for travel reports and travel questions
gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Best city in world for kitesurf vacation

Postby gibsonandpickett » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:06 am

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:20 pm
Auckland, wind all year. Although this year was unusually bad for wind compared to normal anyway. 4/3 winter 3/2 or boardies summer.

15,000km of coastline..in Auckland it is 45 mins from the Pacific to the Tasman, 2 completely different oceans.

It is most varied place on earth for kiting. One coast can be 10ft waves and 30knots +, the other flat slicks and 25.

There is not one "goto spot" like in other countries, all ways driving around and as angles shift from maritime weather.

It can be gusty but there is usually plenty of wind.

If you find yourself with an almost no wind forescast and there is even a light seabreeze - arrive at raglan (just over 2hours) just after high tide and you will be fully powered.
Longwhite cloud Auckland? Coming from Wellington all I hear is complaining Aucklanders moaning about no wind! Sure u have loads of great places to kite IF the wind is there but its not!!

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:28 am

Lisbon has been mentioned a couple of times. What are the best months?

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:32 am

also needs to mention that going from one coast to the other can take much longer than 45 minutes stuck in the infamous Auckland traffic, and quite a few spots need a deep local knowledge of the suitable tidal conditions.
Over summer, Nov to March, Christchurch is typically windier than AKL, with consistent seabreezes about 5 days a week. Massive advantage is lack of crowds, plenty of space, not much traffic, and big enough to offer nightlife, live music and things to do for the non kiting partners and for days off. It's also pretty safe and civilized, and English speaking. It doesn't quite compare to Perth or Cape Town though in terms of pure kiting.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:49 am

TomW wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:38 am
My definition of a city is diverse cultural and culinary offering. safe, and reasonable costs for a visit. Easy access to kite spots with winds 12+ knots that are frequent.
The reason I am asking is my family enjoys visiting these kind of places, and I wish to combine with daily kite session.
Melbourne fits the brief reasonably well. Reliable afternoon sea breeze in Summer, at least 5 days a week of more than 12+ knots, Normally between 15 and 20 knots most days. Lots of city stuff to do and places to eat. Main kiting location and infrastructure close to the city, generally a friendly scene. Quite a lot of variety and good road trip options.
A bit out the way though, but not as much as NZ.

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby gibsonandpickett » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:05 am

wellington ,nz much better than Auckland. It is the windiest city in the world

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:52 pm

Sorry OZ guys,

But Melb or Syd cant beat Perth kiting. Specially Safety Bay which is a spot #1 on the Planet.

Non kiting is another matter. But than, with all that wind one needs to rest :)

runner1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Kilda

Postby runner1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:13 am

downunder wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:52 pm
Sorry OZ guys,

But Melb or Syd cant beat Perth kiting. Specially Safety Bay which is a spot #1 on the Planet.

Non kiting is another matter. But than, with all that wind one needs to rest :)
I would have said Perth too for sure if the op hadn't mentioned the requirement for an interesting city

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:38 am

In AU Im bored in any city after 2 days ;)

In EU never bored ;) That's where the family and friends are.
But kiting is better here so...

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:47 am

gibsonandpickett wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:06 am
Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:20 pm
Auckland, wind all year. Although this year was unusually bad for wind compared to normal anyway. 4/3 winter 3/2 or boardies summer.

15,000km of coastline..in Auckland it is 45 mins from the Pacific to the Tasman, 2 completely different oceans.

It is most varied place on earth for kiting. One coast can be 10ft waves and 30knots +, the other flat slicks and 25.

There is not one "goto spot" like in other countries, all ways driving around and as angles shift from maritime weather.

It can be gusty but there is usually plenty of wind.

If you find yourself with an almost no wind forescast and there is even a light seabreeze - arrive at raglan (just over 2hours) just after high tide and you will be fully powered.
Longwhite cloud Auckland? Coming from Wellington all I hear is complaining Aucklanders moaning about no wind! Sure u have loads of great places to kite IF the wind is there but its not!!
Yes, really bad year for wind in Auckland.. very unusual though.. and the traffic has become pretty bad... still the variation of spots being that u have access to 2 different oceans is like nowhere else on earth.

Nz is best explored in a van if you can. travel everywhere.. it isn't that big despite the huge amount of coastline.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:18 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:47 am
Nz is best explored in a van if you can. travel everywhere.. it isn't that big despite the huge amount of coastline.
I'm sure NZ is beautiful - would love to visit one day ... but travelling around in a van to go kitesurfing isn't quite the same thing as being in a major city that has easy access to great kitesurfing.

It all depends what you are looking for. My recommendation of Lisbon is based on the unique culture & history & the wealth of sites/sights in & close to the city ... all that combined with a world class surf spot at Guincho that is only (traffic permitting) a 30 minute drive from Lisbon's core. If your primary goal is great kitesurfing, & cultural ambience is less significant, then there are many other options.

Return to “Travel”