Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foil kites - lost of center lines?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Foil kites - lost of center lines?

Postby OzBungy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:01 am

I assume it would be like having an over stalled kite. I experienced that a lot in the early days of foil kites. Assuming the wind is strong, the trailing edge would invert and the kite would rise up and fly on the back lines, flip around, crash back down, and repeat. There would be peaks of power, followed by no power.

When you think about it, the brake fan takes the place of the A-lines. The kite would invert and fly with the trailing edge forwards. It would be collapsing constantly because the structure and profile would be back to front.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:13 am

Agree, but I dont think there would be heaps of power though, on the contrary :wink:

Its easy to test, just pull in both rear leader lines a couple of meters (fast) on a day with really low wind, to get the idea :rollgrin:
Or even better (safer), tie one extra rope to both rearlines before launching, and let go of the bar when kite is in the air.

OR, disconnect your frontlines and see if you can reverse launch on the rearlines only, till kite collapses, a lot safer but maybe not telling as much as if in the air...

8) PF

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:12 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:13 am
Agree, but I dont think there would be heaps of power though, on the contrary :wink:

I said "peaks", not "heaps". :jump:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:05 pm

Ha haa, sorry, I misread...

But I dont think there will be peaks either - anyone who will try, Bracuru you started this thread?

8) PF

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Loss of center lines causes the kite to collapse into backstall like landing, releasing it causes loss of kite. Loss of one center line causes collapse with spin. Loss of center line that is the safety line with release of kite causes loss of the kite. Loss of depower line causes either collapse with spin or bar to be ripped out and kite to safety, letting go of the bar flags the kite. Loss of steering line causes loss of steering to that side. Loss of pulley lines cause the kite to collapse near the window edge but be some what flyable mainly in the down wind direction.

How do I know? Because I have experienced all of them many times. Also if you use a stopper on your flag line and the break is above it and you flag you won't lose the kite but it also won't flag.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:03 am

foilholio wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:53 pm
Loss of center lines causes the kite to collapse into backstall like landing, releasing it causes loss of kite. Loss of one center line causes collapse with spin. Loss of center line that is the safety line with release of kite causes loss of the kite. Loss of depower line causes either collapse with spin or bar to be ripped out and kite to safety, letting go of the bar flags the kite. Loss of steering line causes loss of steering to that side. Loss of pulley lines cause the kite to collapse near the window edge but be some what flyable mainly in the down wind direction.

How do I know? Because I have experienced all of them many times. Also if you use a stopper on your flag line and the break is above it and you flag you won't lose the kite but it also won't flag.
Well presented!

I opened this topic to learn from other experiences about the thing I haven't experienced that time.
I needed it for this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2403550

I've been testing this mode last two weeks in winds up to 25-30kts on a beach and water.
With Soul 15, Soul 8 and Peak4 5m.

Peak4 always collapses.
Soul collapses and lands in low and medium winds. However in strong winds it goes into backstall and creates some minor power which is easy to control.

happy about results and your input. Many thanks.
Now I can continue developing modified flagouts - two new options: total flagout and double flagout.

Return to “Hydrofoil”