Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Riding without a (proper) Quick Release

Postby elguapo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:55 pm

so what exactly are you proposing?
ban kitebars that are not suitable for beginners or us more risk adverse kiters?
outside of calling out someone...what do you want to do?

there is already a very well functioning solution in play here.... it's called the market.
you don't have to buy something like that...and neither do i.

but if there are enough people that that could use a basic QR system...why stop them.

great ideas will get rewarded....not so great ideals tend to disappear.
its ok

the only "arrogance" i see is some folks thinking they know what is best for everyone else..

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:11 pm

DU, I know riders from the USA who use bars without a flag-out safety system. Some riders from the USA wear helmets, and some do not. IMHO, choice of safety equipment has nothing to do with nationality or culture. I agree with you that no one can dictate to others which equipment must be used, but that shouldn't prevent us from discussing the advantages and disadvantages of each choice.

"+1" is a shorthand way of saying "I agree". It's used on this forum all the time. It's convenient, but now I know that it's confusing to some people, so I'll be careful with it in the future. In this thread, I used "+1" to show my agreement with the OP's position that safety systems are important, even if the safety system is only required in infrequent emergencies.

Peace, my friend. :thumb:

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:35 pm

+1 I thought was universal internet slang.

Personally if someone wants to ride without a quick release, I think that is fine. It is likely more dangerous to themselves and safer to others.

Modern kites depower well with releasing the bar.

I might change my mind on crowded beaches, seen to many tangled bridles on launches.

I had one launch this spring where the launcher let go before is signaled and the bridle was caught, I had to use the quick release because letting go of the bar did not depower the kite enough to keep me from getting pulled downwind.

Bicycle helmets are a interesting parallel, I was recently in Belgium and the Netherlands riding and most people on normal commuting bikes didn’t wear helmets.

However, almost all the riders on high performance road bikes had helmets.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:04 am

There u go, no one rides a bicycle with a helmet because of the "culture", local customs or whatever u want to call it.

Indonesia has 260 000 000 people and it is common to ride a motorcycle with no helmet, no one blinks an eye coz of it. Well, last 5 years they do, sort of.

+1 is Americanism, like it or not. Im positive that everyone using a +1 is using Imperial units as well. Because its not in my Euro "culture", I never use it, even tho living in AU. Just like in Japan they would use a "V" with two fingers all the time:) a cultural thing...

What Im trying to say is that its ok to use whatever only when respecting the choices of others.
Discussion is one thing and imposing views on other is another.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:21 am

So what happens if there is a tangle between two kiters and one has a quick release and the other does not? And I am actually most interested in how culture affects this one.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post (total 2):
evan (Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:43 am) • SalmonSlayer (Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:13 am)
Rating: 6.06%

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:07 am

Still rambling about culture and imposing views without answering the questions.

Let's keep it simple Downunder: why would you ride with a snap shackle (pin type) instead of the wichard 2673 quick release shackle?

elguapo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:55 pm
so what exactly are you proposing?
ban kitebars that are not suitable for beginners or us more risk adverse kiters?
outside of calling out someone...what do you want to do?

there is already a very well functioning solution in play here.... it's called the market.
you don't have to buy something like that...and neither do i.

but if there are enough people that that could use a basic QR system...why stop them.

great ideas will get rewarded....not so great ideals tend to disappear.
its ok

the only "arrogance" i see is some folks thinking they know what is best for everyone else..
There is a big difference between a basic quick release and one that doesn't work in emergency situations. And thinking that you have so much experience that you can 100% avoid emergency situations is just ignorance in the purest form.

BRM style pin-ball works, although I personally don't like them because the size of the ball makes it harder to activate under high loads and the big chance the pin gets embedded in your flesh when you do manage to activate it. But a small wound is better than hitting a concrete wall...

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:33 am

I love riding without a leash when the right opportunities arise.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:17 am

downunder wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:04 am
There u go, no one rides a bicycle with a helmet because of the "culture", local customs or whatever u want to call it.

+1 is Americanism, like it or not. Im positive that everyone using a +1 is using Imperial units as well. Because its not in my Euro "culture", I never use it, even tho living in AU. Just like in Japan they would use a "V" with two fingers all the time:) a cultural thing...

What Im trying to say is that its ok to use whatever only when respecting the choices of others.
Discussion is one thing and imposing views on other is another.
I think you misread what I wrote, the riders on road bikes in Belgium and the Netherlands wear helmets.

+1 is used internationally you will find it even in AU

Freedom is a funny thing, it doesn’t mean you should do anything you want. And while you may think not wearing a helmet or having a functioning quick release and a leash ultimately affects only you, that is not true.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:11 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:33 am
What additional freedoms does this offer? Genuinely puzzled how no leash enriches the experience? Especially given how unobtrusive modern set ups are.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:32 pm

james wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:11 pm
longwhitecloud wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:33 am
What additional freedoms does this offer? Genuinely puzzled how no leash enriches the experience? Especially given how unobtrusive modern set ups are.
love

Return to “Kitesurfing”