Hydrofoil wings that work in seagrass areas

Forum for kitesurfers
NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Hydrofoil wings that work in seagrass areas

Postby NEkitesurfing » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:52 pm

Summertime and the water is getting warmer in the lakes we are using for hydrofoiling normally. The seagrass is growing and growing... and becomes the limiting factor. Especially in the flatter sections of the lakes it is almost impossible to go through with a hydrofoil. Even bodydragging is quite challenging. The SHINN K-Foil with its totally swept wings works way better than any other foil I have tried before because the sweep angle of the wings avoids collecting seagrass. That is a huge advantage even for bodydragging. I only have to lay the foilboard on its side and can push it through the seagrass. When I manage to arrive in deeper areas of the lake I dont have to worry about collected seagrass and can start right away. Floating seagrass in the deeper lake area is not a problem because I can drive through it and when the mast doesnt catch a higher amount of seagrass I almost dont feel the impact when hitting it. The SHINN K-Foil is a very nice foil anyway and it saves me in the summer a lot of time because I dont have to drive to other spots without seagrass. :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Hydrofoil wings that work in seagrass areas

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:04 am

You might be right, that in some locations swept wings will help yes.

But in general, at least the seagrass and other types of seaweed we encounter here in Denmark, is mostly in the surface.

And there is nothing you can do about that, in terms of design as I see it...

Even a few pieces of eelgrass on your mast, and NOTHING is fun anymore, you can not glide through carves or 360s without kitepower nomore, and you got a tail of splashing water behind your mast....

Having seaweed on your wing is catastrophal of course, but happens extremely rare in my experience, compared to having something on your mast.

Yes, you can ride on with seaweed on your mast - but is it fun? No way :roll:

With the low drag of a hydrofoil, seaweed can be felt a lot more than on other "old" types of boards unfortunately :(

8) Peter

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:12 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:04 am
Yes, you can ride on with seaweed on your mast - but is it fun? No way :roll:
Its a real drag..

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:57 pm

My original 2013 MHL Lift and 633 have good amount of arrowhead line on the leading edge - swept back enough not to catch tiny strains which collect on the wing and ruin speed and lift. H5, 548 were the least seaweed prone. Guys with Levitaz Cruizer say they don’t catch any. My 683s catches way more than 633

As Peter said above the mast will also capture some but I think wings that are not swept back make it terrible.

athen
Medium Poster

Postby athen » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:43 pm

Hi all! just a (maybe) silly question:
has any of you ever tried use a Wingsurf foil (wing I mean) with a SURF (board) instead?

I was wondering if that could be a doable option or not? Or if the Flow Foil is mandatory to ride with the wing?

(I saw some regular SUP with the wing, but just going in very light winds and nothing special.... barely going upwind)

Is the friction probably the engine of the mix between a wing and a Foil board?
Thanks for sharing your feedback on this :)

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 am

We get a lot of weeds here at the end of the summer. My Shinn foil with P wing and short mast works really well the weeds just glide away and don't stick to it! It's a bit rounded wing and the stab is swept back!

FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FrederikS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:49 am

Moses Onda is the best I have tried. The big front wing drops seaweed easily and it is very rarely that the rear wing catches any.

Return to “Kitesurfing”