New generation big wings

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Daniel_B
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

New generation big wings

Postby Daniel_B » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi,

Several brands have come out with big wings.

LF Impulse
Cabrinha Varial/Carve
Duotone Spirit Carve/Surf
... others?

Are these of a similar design philosophy?

I’m a somewhat heavy beginner looking to do some freeriding. Speed less important. Would like to ride in light wind or with a small kite. Is this the kind of wing I should look for? Pros and cons of something slightly smaller, for example the Cabrinha Lift?

Daniel

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: New generation big wings

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:07 am

You lose bottom end with slightly smaller and your cruising speed will be higher.

It's relative to your weight though, and how you want to ride.

As a beginner, I'm not 100% sure you should go straight to the biggest wing you want... Although the easy lift, stability, and low speed cruising might be advantageous. Perhaps you can run that experiment for us :lol:

Axis is my foil, I have the S-series 820 and 720 wings and love it. Big, wide and solid connection to the wing, so it's rigid and the gear is tough as nails.

My goal is the same as yours -- light wind and small kites. The 820 delivers :D

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:12 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:07 am

As a beginner, I'm not 100% sure you should go straight to the biggest wing you want... Although the easy lift, stability, and low speed cruising might be advantageous. Perhaps you can run that experiment for us :lol:
I learned on the LF fun foil, upgraded to the Slingshot/Moses Ghost Whisper, then the Chinese Takuma and now have a full quiver of GoFoil wings as my main-only used foils.

But a friend of mine wanted to get into foiling and I was worried that if he got the bigger foil wings, he would get overpowered way too quickly and it would be HARDER to learn. I WAS WRONG. He progressed 5x as fast as it took me with the smaller foils until I got the Takuma. Much easier to progress, much more stable. He chose the Cloud IX with the S24 which is around my GoFoil Kai size. I prefer my Iwa 80% of the time. He loved the Iwa when he tried it thoug.

Big wings are AWESOME! BUT if you ever want to learn to ride small wings to go fast, you'll have to relearn everything all over. Very different. I have completely lost my ability to ride the Ghost Whisper now. Though I don't have any desier to.
These users thanked the author norcom for the post:
Kamikuza (Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:27 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:29 am

norcom wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:12 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:07 am

I learned on the LF fun foil, upgraded to the Slingshot/Moses Ghost Whisper, then the Chinese Takuma and now have a full quiver of GoFoil wings as my main-only used foils.

But a friend of mine wanted to get into foiling and I was worried that if he got the bigger foil wings, he would get overpowered way too quickly and it would be HARDER to learn. I WAS WRONG. He progressed 5x as fast as it took me with the smaller foils until I got the Takuma. Much easier to progress, much more stable. He chose the Cloud IX with the S24 which is around my GoFoil Kai size. I prefer my Iwa 80% of the time. He loved the Iwa when he tried it thoug.

Big wings are AWESOME! BUT if you ever want to learn to ride small wings to go fast, you'll have to relearn everything all over. Very different. I have completely lost my ability to ride the Ghost Whisper now. Though I don't have any desier to.
Interesting, thanks. I went back down to 72cm wing yesterday and it was fine, but I missed the endless glide and lower speed fun. Since I got the 82 I've ridden smaller foils, but haven't enjoyed them ... primarily because that's not how I want to ride any more :D

Return to “Hydrofoil”