Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

My two-piece travel foilboard design.

Postby tkaraszewski » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:14 pm

I'm going to link the video (has no sound) showing the board design first, and describe it below.

This board has total assembled dimensions of 100x40cm (approx 40"x16"). it's 40mm thick.

This board is intended to be CNC cut out of Divinycell H80 foam. This comprises the two main chunks of the board in the CAD drawing. The inserts are all 6061 aluminum. The five inserts in the joint between the two. halves of the board are threaded for flat-head M6 screws, which screw in flush from the bottom of the board and should end up with the end of the screws just flush with the deck.

There's a "gap" between the two pieces of board to allow space for the glass/carbon layers that the board will be glassed with. The current plan is one layer 0f 6oz S-glass and one layer of 4-oz carbon.

The inserts in the back have three options for mounting 165mm spaced foils, or two options for 140mm spaced foils. These will be threaded for M8 screws, and the threads are 17.5mm deep.

If your curious, ask and I can answer any questions about it. Or if there are concerns, let me know, maybe I address fix them before I build it!

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: My two-piece travel foilboard design.

Postby BWD » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:30 am

Recommend 3x 200gsm carbon deck and minimum 4x 200 gsm carbon in areas where max strength/stiffness is needed.
I havent made a 2 piece foilboard yet but would assume you want a rigid joint. Thinner skins may calculate to be strong enough but they dent and buckle so much easier...

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:39 am

BWD wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:30 am
Recommend 3x 200gsm carbon deck and minimum 4x 200 gsm carbon in areas where max strength/stiffness is needed.
I havent made a 2 piece foilboard yet but would assume you want a rigid joint. Thinner skins may calculate to be strong enough but they dent and buckle so much easier...
200g/sqm is just under 6oz/sqyd. So, for your recommendation, I should add at least one more layer of carbon on the deck, and maybe two. There are few layup options that might work there. Thanks! I'll consider the thicker layup.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:24 pm

What about rocker?
And if you move the split forward, creating back part 75cm long, same length as a short mast, you might not even stand on the front part.. Basically making a removable nose.
That's my plan, to make 85 cm back part and nose to make a 110cm board to travel with a 93cm mast.
I built a 90cm board for travelling, but after testing against 110cm board, think the 90 is too extreme. 90cm will just fit into hockey bag. 85 will have some room for padding.

Return to “Gear Builders”