Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Speed of kitesurfing vs. windsurfing

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:07 pm

tilmann wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:30 am
Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:54 am
It was common for windsurfers to drag race each other. This almost never happens among kitesurfers - kitesurfers tend to have different interests.
could be different with the right stuff :cool2:

It could be ... but it isn't, & I don't see it likely to be changing any time soon. If you look at the progression of kite foiling, speed, which was a major interest initially, has been supplanted by curvey cruising & wave riding. Which is my point: in general, the average windsurfer is more interested in speed than the average kitesurfer. You, of course, are not the average kitesurfer! :strong:

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:22 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:07 pm
...If you look at the progression of kite foiling, speed, which was a major interest initially, has been supplanted by curvey cruising & wave riding. Which is my point: in general, the average windsurfer is more interested in speed than the average kitesurfer.
My observations are definitely the opposite. It seems to me that many potential kitesurfers have switched over to kite foiling, and thus chosen other locations besides surf locations. At surf locations, foilers have declined, while inland swell and flat water locations have seen a huge increase of foilers in all wind speeds.

I think it's good that we have so many other avenues to pursue with kites. The benefit is clear with increased utilization of alternative kiting locations - and less crowding of regular locations. For me, this has been particularly noticeable at wave locations where crowding has not been as much of an issue, compared to more ideal foiling locations.

And not to belittle windsurfers, but what else is there besides speed? I mean outside of the 2-3 wave windsurfers (vs 100 or so kitesurfers here) they are pretty much just going fast and turning around. The same could even be said for foiling windsurfers. Anyone have a video of a "freestyle" foiling windsurfer?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:41 pm

kiting is a lot more fun than windsurfing so of course less people concentrate on only going fast with a kite. You can do it tho if you want.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:49 pm

edt wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:41 pm
kiting is a lot more fun than windsurfing so of course less people concentrate on only going fast with a kite. You can do it tho if you want.
A much more simple way to say it than I ever could!

But still, for the ultimate physical and mental challenge, windsurfing beats kitesurfing by a mile.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:13 pm

Geez! It seems people's opinions are heavily skewed by the circumstances they personally encounter. My local spot has a mix of kiters & windsurfers. The windsurfers don't go fast & turn around any more than the kiters. It is a "wavy Great lakes spot". Perhaps the most accomplished water sports local, windsurfs, kites & foils on windsurfers & kiteboards. If the conditions (waves) are good he will always windsurf.

I am always somewhat surprised that people would choose to windsurf rather than kite, because kiting offers so many practical advantages: portability, lower wind ranges, more consistent power generation, among others. But windsurfers like to go fast partly because going fast is a lot more fun on a windsurfer than it is kiting. IMO good windsurfers in good conditions - eg. Hookipa - kill it in the waves more than kiters. On the other hand in less than ideal conditions kiting waves works way better ... & of course jumping is much easier/more fun kitesurfing than windsurfing.

Just my opinion ... after 20 years of windsurfing & 20 years of kiting ...

tilmann
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: St.Peter-Ording
Style: highspeedcarving
Gear: highspeedcarving board + 7m Slingshot Machine
Brand Affiliation: www.highspeedcarving.com

Postby tilmann » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:22 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:07 pm
Anyone have a video of a "freestyle" foiling windsurfer?
These users thanked the author tilmann for the post:
Andreo (Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tilmann
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tilmann » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:35 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:13 pm
... going fast is a lot more fun on a windsurfer than it is kiting.
depends on the conditions

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:53 pm

tilmann wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:35 pm
Flyboy wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:13 pm
... going fast is a lot more fun on a windsurfer than it is kiting.
depends on the conditions
Again: I am talking about an average skilled rider in average conditions. Going fast on a kiteboard is kinda fun ... but not in the same way as with a windsurf board. Anyone who hasn't windsurfed would not be able to understand the difference.

tilmann
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tilmann » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:14 pm

What are "average conditions" ? In shallow waddenseas like the North Sea "average conditions" means: tons of perfect speed spots at any time. You can have endless fun here (speed, high speed carving) If you have the right board.
Where do YOU live, Flyboy ?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:16 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:49 pm
edt wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:41 pm
A much more simple way to say it than I ever could!

But still, for the ultimate physical and mental challenge, windsurfing beats kitesurfing by a mile.
yeah windsurfing is pretty hard. I like watching them do big wave stuff, that is pretty sick and way beyond my skill level.

Return to “Kitesurfing”