Local Beach: Grover Beach, Pismo beach
Favorite Beaches: Grover beach, Pismo beach,
Style: Double edge, foil
Gear: Flexifoil kite, slightshot board
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Repairing/replacing a leaky valve

Postby Dan805 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:15 pm

Im prettt new to the sport so I am flying an older flexifoil proton 5M. Recently one of the escape valves started leaking. There is plenty of videos out there on how to replace and repair valves. The problem for me is that the base of the valve is glued from inside the bladded. I dont really know how to fix it and i dont want to damage it more. Any ideas?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Repairing/replacing a leaky valve

Postby grigorib » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Dan805 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:15 pm
Im prettt new to the sport so I am flying an older flexifoil proton 5M. Recently one of the escape valves started leaking. There is plenty of videos out there on how to replace and repair valves. The problem for me is that the base of the valve is glued from inside the bladded. I dont really know how to fix it and i dont want to damage it more. Any ideas?
You can cut the whole valve out and put a large patch over with a new valve
or unglue the valve with hair dryer and try to squeeze/pull it out through the hole
or remove the upper portion of the valve and glue the new valve over on top
or just order a new complete bladder from airtime (or similar business)

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:41 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 pm
Dan805 wrote:
You can cut the whole valve out and put a large patch over with a new valve
or unglue the valve with hair dryer and try to squeeze/pull it out through the hole
or remove the upper portion of the valve and glue the new valve over on top
or just order a new complete bladder from airtime (or similar business)
:thumb: Heat it with a hair dryer, remove it by pulling it out, glue it back on the outside (not on the inside as originally) using vinyl glue.
Buiying new bladders is not worth it considering the value of the kite.
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:
Dan805 (Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Dan805
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Grover Beach, Pismo beach
Favorite Beaches: Grover beach, Pismo beach,
Style: Double edge, foil
Gear: Flexifoil kite, slightshot board
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dan805 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:43 pm

That makes sense, an i agree its not worth getting new bladder as im most likely going to destroy this one while i get good at the sport

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:07 pm

Dan805 wrote:
The problem for me is that the base of the valve is glued from inside the bladded. I dont really know how to fix it and i dont want to damage it more. Any ideas?
Your easiest option is to simply cut it out. FixMyKite has the perfect replacement valve for your needs. It's called the MEGA 11mm Deflate valve. The reason you'll want the MEGA (4" patch) is it's for fixing bladders where the original valve needs to be cut out or if you damage the bladder removing the old valve. The Standard size valve (3"patch) may work too if you can unglue the original and/or not destroy the bladder.

https://fixmykite.com/proddetail.asp?pr ... dump_valve

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:58 am

Da Yoda wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:07 pm
Dan805 wrote:
The problem for me is that the base of the valve is glued from inside the bladded. I dont really know how to fix it and i dont want to damage it more. Any ideas?
Your easiest option is to simply cut it out. FixMyKite has the perfect replacement valve for your needs. It's called the MEGA 11mm Deflate valve. The reason you'll want the MEGA (4" patch) is it's for fixing bladders where the original valve needs to be cut out or if you damage the bladder removing the old valve. The Standard size valve (3"patch) may work too if you can unglue the original and/or not destroy the bladder.

https://fixmykite.com/proddetail.asp?pr ... dump_valve
No need to cut out the bladder , Flexifoil :o valves just fall off when heated, have fixed hundreds

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:46 am

Hello,

use this for valve repairing:
https://drtuba.eu/shop/product/valve-repair-kit

or use these valves for in/out replacement:
https://drtuba.eu/shop/product/inflate-valve-9mm-ball
https://drtuba.eu/shop/product/deflate-valve-11mm

and these for one pump replacements:
https://drtuba.eu/shop/product/unipump- ... s-i-insert

We fixed/made a lot of bladders for Flexifoil kites with these valves, not perfect, but working good.

:bye:
Dan805 wrote:

Return to “Kitesurfing”