Style: Foil Airstyle, KL, strapless
Gear: Ozone R1v2 17m,
Duotone Rebel 12m, Dice 9m, Dice 6m
Spotz Shark
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

smooth landing with hydrofoil.

Postby tipi » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi guys,
first of all I apologize for my English level ! ras les pâquerettes as we say in French :D
I want to democratize foil landing (landing where the board won't touch the water), that's stressless for the foil and more clean to watch.

to do this there is two things to do :
- relaunch hardly your kite to have a good horizontal traction to avoid foil's cavitation
- damp the landing ! go down with your legs straight. When your foil touch water you have just to bend hips to reduce during 1sec your vertical speed.

to do this easily use a kite with a good hangtime, do a vertical jump (less horizontal it is, easier it is), and use a hip harness (better control of the horizontal traction from relaunch)

some example :

These users thanked the author tipi for the post (total 3):
edt (Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:12 pm) • FLandOBX (Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:38 pm) • lederhosen (Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 am)
Rating: 9.09%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: smooth landing with hydrofoil.

Postby cglazier » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:08 am

Nice videos tipi. You make it look so easy. :)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:50 pm

I haven't done many successful landings from foil jumps. My main problem is when I slice the foil into the water I nose dive and face plant. If I come in for more of a vertical splash down I don't nose dive but its an uncool looking splash into the water which I typically butt check on before taking off. Any advice?

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:16 am

Excellent vids!

I see you're riding the Shark, could you share your stab angle please?
These users thanked the author Tone for the post:
tipi (Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:33 am)
Rating: 3.03%

tipi
Rare Poster
Spotz Shark

Postby tipi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:47 am

I put the stab as low as possible. more bearing is useless and harmful because it reduces the capacity of acceleration and therefore increase the time with which the foil becomes again carrying. I hope you will understand my minds

@plummet the solution for you is to slice the foil into the water, bend hip to relieve the pressure on the foil. if you don't do that the foil will cavitate and won't be carrying
These users thanked the author tipi for the post:
lederhosen (Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 am)
Rating: 3.03%

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:36 pm

Thx Tipi for this interesting thread. This is exactly what I am working on.
tipi wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 pm
- relaunch hardly your kite to have a good horizontal traction to avoid foil's cavitation
I didn't get that what you mean here. There is only cavitation if you try to pull the foil out of the water instead of driving it in a curve out of the water (so actually just like a jump on a TT). What does that have to do with the kite?

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:44 am

Thank you Tipi,

Very useful advise. I tried following yesterday. Getting better at no touch-down landings, but still will take a few more sessions to figure it out.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Nice video and topic. I start jumping for 2 sessions now , just to clarifiy that i am not an expert at all and as you are. I made some landings whithout touching the water with the board, and i must say the big big 1200 cm2 wing has certainly help.

I would just add on personnal comment if you feel you will touch the water and want to avoid it: start moving the kite and let you fall down in the harness , your ass upwind of the board (CoG not aligned with the mast, like a kind of reverse movement of waterstart) : when you start falling like this ( upstream the foil), there is no weight on the board anymore, so it stays above the water, and then the kite will lift you up again like the end of a waterstart . Not perfect but can save a little touch-down.
t

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:36 pm

The foil part is really easy if you land smoothly and softly with proper kite control. In the times when I time my landing correct with the kite, I've been able to foil away. When I blow it with the kite, the foil is impossible to save. I think this is one you can actually get good at while practicing with a twin tip since it's more about flying the kite, in my humble opinion.

tipi
Rare Poster
Spotz Shark

Postby tipi » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:34 pm
I would just add on personnal comment if you feel you will touch the water and want to avoid it: start moving the kite and let you fall down in the harness , your ass upwind of the board (CoG not aligned with the mast, like a kind of reverse movement of waterstart) : when you start falling like this ( upstream the foil), there is no weight on the board anymore, so it stays above the water, and then the kite will lift you up again like the end of a waterstart . Not perfect but can save a little touch-down.
I totally agree :thumb:
less the weight is on the board, less the foil need speed to "fly"
Mossy 757 wrote: The foil part is really easy if you land smoothly and softly with proper kite control. In the times when I time my landing correct with the kite, I've been able to foil away. When I blow it with the kite, the foil is impossible to save. I think this is one you can actually get good at while practicing with a twin tip since it's more about flying the kite, in my humble opinion.
for sure, it's easier with my duotone rebel 12m than with dice 6m :D but still possible but really more technical and physical

i will post some rush from today to show more example of possibilities

thanks for all your replies :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”