Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

High wind hydrofoiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: High wind hydrofoiling

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:13 pm

I love every part of it - both the 5 knot sessions, as well as high winds 25 knots and waves :thumb:

Using 5 and 6 m2 kites extremely often, as fully powered in 20 knots now.

And my 3.5 m2 LEI is used quite some also, as needed above 22 knots.

I use 26-27 meter lines for the smallest kites in the highest winds, as these lines tend to even out the otherwise bad on/off feel of supersmall kites.

And then long lines 30 meters, only when sub 10 knots.

8) Peter

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:44 pm

The joy of foiling is they are so efficient you can get going with a tiny kite, but you don't lose that much top end so you can just keep riding. We had 45 knots yesterday and will have similar again today. It's wonderful to be cruising around in the waves swooshing about.

I ride a J Shapes Cruzer foil with a Switch Element 6 4m.

I don't feel the need just yet to go to a smaller kite. I have never felt overpowered or out of control with the 4m. 40+ knots is pretty intense so I tend to ride conservatively in those conditions. Lots of depowered gliding along on waves. I can't see me riding more aggressively with a smaller kite.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:59 am

slowboat wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:37 pm
Higher winds=bigger waves where I am so those are the best days. 3 and 4 meter Peak 4. 3 meter Concept Air Wave. If those kites are too big, I don't go out.
I’m curious about your comparisons between your 3m Peak and CAWave

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:28 am

neilhapgood wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:43 pm
Windmaker do you notice much difference with the 230cm stab over the standard IC6 300cm stab?

I am using the mirage 650 front wing.

Many thanks
650 front wind is my favorite too. In comparison with the 300cm stab the 230 will give you a tighter turning radius and will feel more slippery in a straight line (better top end). Stability feels the same. The 230 is also much stiffer (prepreg carbon) whereas the IC6 stab is injected (not the same price :-? )

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:40 am

neilhapgood wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:43 pm
Windmaker do you notice much difference with the 230cm stab over the standard IC6 300cm stab?

I am using the mirage 650 front wing.

Many thanks
650 front wind is my favorite too. In comparison with the 300cm stab the 230 will give you a tighter turning radius and will feel more slippery in a straight line (better top end). Stability feels the same. The 230 is also much stiffer (prepreg carbon) whereas the IC6 stab is injected (not the same price :-? )
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:
neilhapgood (Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:25 am)
Rating: 3.03%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:03 am

jakemoore wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:59 am
slowboat wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:37 pm
Higher winds=bigger waves where I am so those are the best days. 3 and 4 meter Peak 4. 3 meter Concept Air Wave. If those kites are too big, I don't go out.
I’m curious about your comparisons between your 3m Peak and CAWave
Great question. I’m curious also. The Peaks are a very recent purchase and I haven’t used the 3 yet. Also only used the Wave once so far. My guess is they will be more similar than different, with the Peak drifting better and the Wave having better relaunch and a greater wind range. Previous kites were small Clouds which are not nearly as good for wave riding.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Yeah, I'm another high wind foiler. 6m 20-25 knots then 4m above. I can hold the 4m into the 40 knot range on small seas. But when the swell gets big and fast 4m is too powered above 30 knots.

What i find the limitation with foil is, is sea conditions. More wind is easy. Just use a smaller kite. In fact foiling can hold a far bigger wind range than a standard surface board. Also high wind foiling is safer than high wind surface riding because you are using a smaller kite thats less powered.

Back to the sea conditions. Some times its physically impossible to water start in big surf in the whitewash. If there's a mean shore break that you can't body drag through with your floating ax. Also the more "washing machine" the sea condition gets the exponentially harder it is to foil. Wind chop lower than mast height is easy as, clean swell is sweet up to any size, however as the swell size increases so does the speed of the swell and that can be a real issue ripping broad reach with swell with wind. You need a small kite and good fast foil riding skills or you end up in a high-speed charge to oblivion. When you combine big swell from one direction, high wind chop from another direction you end up with a perfect "washing machine" storm of conditions where water is all over the place. That condition is very difficult to foil.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post (total 4):
Foil (Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:35 am) • styleito (Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:15 pm) • paul s (Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:20 pm) • geron (Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:12 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:24 pm

Challenges well described by Plummet.

My favorite is when foiling out and a breaking wave literally kicks the foil out from under you. Haven’t figured out that one yet.

watercamper
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 146
Local Beach: US: the Columbia river Gorge, lower Columbia river, Oregon coast. Mexico: La Ventana (Rasta beach in El Sargento) BCS
Style: Foil mostly, Surf, TT on the ocean
Gear: Slingshot 4,5,6,7,8 UFO V2; 3, 9m V1.1
Slingshot 4,5,6,7,8,9m SST
Flysurfer Peak4, 4, 5, 6, 8: Peak5, 4
Flysurfer Hybrid 3.5
Naish Pivot 8,9m
Liquid Force Mission Control bars modified for foil with Infexion seat belt, DIY lines
Ocean Rodeo click bar
Lift Classic 150, 101 cm mast
Sabfoil W590/S330, 101 cm mast; W550/S325; W679/S483
Slingshot 2020 107cm micro Dwarf Craft board strapless, 11 liter
Slingshot 2022 100 cm Dwarf Craft, strapless, 11 liter
4'10" Firewire Evo Helium
Cabrinha 137 n 141 Tronic
Mystic, Ion, O'Neill, Buell, Patagonia, Pro-Tec, Liros, Infexion

Postby watercamper » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:05 am

oregonkiter wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 pm
Also a Gorge foiler. My quiver is basically 4/5/6 SST on 20m lines and SS 633 with 105cm mast. I use the 5m most often. Lighter winds, under 20 mph, are really fun, but we just don't get a lot of that here. Normal is 15-30 mph, with lots of 20-40 days.
Old post I know. How much do you weigh? Thx1

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:49 pm

This old post from last year did make me think more about the wind strengths some guys claim to have been out in on a foilboard,and the wings used which might support these claims, also the sea conditions, as this is the biggest limiting factor by far.
skill factor has to be considered but even the most skilled foiler is limited by the forces of nature, next is the wings and mast used, these can either help a lot, or choose the wings/mast length unwisely for the conditions and the experience can be humbling.

I did become very aware that sailing on a foil board in high winds is mainly limited by firstly the shore break, or lack of it, and wind direction, even 25knts onshore wind with big shore break can be just too much for many.
then once out the size of the waves- shape of the waves and direction of the sets, ie are sets rolling in fast from multiple directions and clashing and bashing together
sea foam and white water, many wings just cant cope with aerated water, others are very very good.

Gust strength, there are gusty winds which are just fine, say 25knts gusting 35knts, but a 100% gust rate of 25knts to 50knts is a killer for everyone.

I am lucky as many times I have access to our flat water sea lagoon usable at most low tides,
and this is when the limiting factors to "how strong can you go" are far fewer-starting with kite size- and do you feel the need to go for it,
wings and mast size have- low influence.
boards size /shape-little influence
weight and size of rider - little influence
straps or no straps - your choice- little influence
skill factor, middle skill factor is good enough for high wind flat water sessions
mates egging you on- big influence !

so yes grab a tea towel out of the kitchen draw and hold on tight on the windiest day of the year, yeeeharr!

but it gets confusing when all the facts to substantiate a claim of foiling in silly winds are not backed up with all the facts

Plummet rounds it up nicely

Return to “Hydrofoil”