Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Riding without a (proper) Quick Release

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Riding without a (proper) Quick Release

Postby iriejohn » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:16 pm
Mossy 757 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:35 pm
You're starting to come off as pretty stupid as well. You're trying to justify not using proper safety equipment during inherently dangerous activities, and citing perceived cultural differences and nationalities as your justification. There's nothing "foreign" about failing to use safety equipment...call it ignorance, apathy, fatalism, whatever. It's stupid.
Well, downsy is right to a certain degree. But so is Mossy

downsy,

What you are referring to as culture is not what you think it is. Is is more directly related to 1st world vs 3rd world. And it is has only been about 50-100 years in which the 1st world has taken safety seriously. The third world has not caught on. Thus it is not necessarily culture of "not giving a s--t", but rather a slower societal development of conscientiousness. And this development seems to be directly linked to prosperity as a reward for being conscientious.

Mossy,

Calling the third world stupid is "like spitting on a fish". It does no good, it makes you look stupid, and does not work to fix things in the future. On top of that, despite decades of trying, the 1st world has been unsuccessful in exporting these western values to foreign peoples. downsy gets that more than most. Given the number one western value of 'freedom of choice', the choice of 3rd world peoples to NOT embrace western values makes those very values self defeating in countries where the majority of people choose to reject them.

And proof of this is evident with current events where people eagerly entering western society are actually rejecting those values which created what they perceived as a comparative utopia. Thus the ideals of western society that make its implementation in 3rd world societies impossible, can also lead to the downfall of those ideals in the 1st world.
As is your wont, you see the trees but not the wood.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:56 am

I really like how the “first world” strains itself patting itself on the back. 😂

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:57 am

I think Everyone needs to mellow out ; and have
a Cold Beer on :-------- Bille !!!

Make sure Ya tip the Bar-Winch. :lol:
Attachments
bar wench.jpg

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:33 am

"especially with a foil kite that could sink below the surface and be unnoticeable until you drive or sail over it and get tangled"

Exactly I personally think ALL foil kites should be banned, especially when you consider that leashes can and do fail, resulting in submarine hazards punishable by prison time.

In the picture I took you can see however small the odds there is still a chance a meteorite could land on the riders body crushing them to death while they are not using a leash.

For peoples education I would like to share with you the World Associated National Kitesurfing Association Guidelines:

Section 5.4.1b : "Recommended Kitesurfing Buffer Zone Based 3rd Party Safety Gear Assessments"
  • Impact vest: 585m
    Helmet: 750m
    Seat Harness: 850m
    Florescent Yellow wetsuit from the 1990s: 1.1kms
    Foil Kiter: 1.3km UPDATE N/A Banned.
    Wetsuit boots with zips: 1.5km
    Whistle: 1.6km
    Sunglasses (sea-specs type): 1.8km (yellow 2.5km)
    Gloves: 2km
    Hat: 2.2km
    Neck Beard (Non hipster type): 2.4km
    Hockey Helmet with Visor: 2.5km
    Lifejacket with the neckpiece: 3 Nautical Miles
    Wingsurfer: 5 Nautical Miles
    Foil kiteboarder 10 Nautical Miles (Part C: No Kai Lenny exemption)
    Rehydration pack: 1.5 light years
Kiteforum Members: 2 Billion Light Years

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 am

That's the last time I try to start a topic on a serious issue. Well done guys, be proud of yourselves.
I hope you all never get seriously injured or wreck someone else by your own ignorance.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:27 am

It’s an Internet forum with all the usual trolls, irates & showboats. What did you think would happen after the first page? Are you really surprised by this?

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 am

No, not surprised. Just deeply disappointed.
Some are more interested in an off topic flame war than the safety of others and their own.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:21 am

When teaching students how to kite it is mandatory they use a safety leash. This is the safest option on todays harnesses/kites. You may not use this or rarely use the safety in your kiting times over the years but having it there just in case is paramount. THEN, if you decide you don't want to use one that is entirely your choice. People still don't wear seatbelts in cars or helmets on bikes, their choice.

FarQueLot
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone,Slingshot,my own
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby FarQueLot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:41 am

purdyd wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:17 am
downunder wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:04 am

+1 is used internationally you will find it even in AU

Freedom is a funny thing, it doesn’t mean you should do anything you want. And while you may think not wearing a helmet or having a functioning quick release and a leash ultimately affects only you, that is not true.
this is a ridiculous assertion, +1 is the term FOR international and AU is 61

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:46 am

evan wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 am
No, not surprised. Just deeply disappointed.
Some are more interested in an off topic flame war than the safety of others and their own.
Safety, or freedom of choice. You are welcome to draw that line yourself. Or cede that power to those you deem benevolent.

I agree with you that there is no "moral relativism" in safety. Safety is absolute. Either you care or you don't. But there are obvious reasons for certain people to be on either side. Third world vs first world is one. Nasty knock on the head as a child could be another. I dont claim one is "superior" to the other. They just exist.....for now.

Return to “Kitesurfing”