Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: Spotz2 foil for beginner?

Postby cwood » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:53 pm
Totally doable, but I'd really go over a Spotz2 with a fine tooth comb looking for any cracks or defects in the materials. I have never known someone who owned one who didn't experience some kind of critical structural shenanigans with enough use, and almost all the fast ones ended up fused into one-piece to address some early manufacturing defects. That said, they're really fun foils!!!
Same experience here. The adjustable fuse is the weak point. Not an "easy" rig but anything can be learned.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:49 pm

If you dont want to race or at least go fast, then definitely no.

I learned on an earlier race foil. When I moved to spotz2, it was easier to ride than the original race foil I had, but newer race foils way easier still.

As an example, I was trying to learn foiling jibes on spotz 2 for over a a year and had lots of scary crashes with foil tomohawking through the air. First session on my new Delta, and I was landing 90% of jibes no problem. The new foil was so much more pitch and roll stable it was like night and day.

That board is short too. I've never seen such a short board on a race foil.

However, $400 is cheap! So if that's what you can afford, go for it, it is doable, lots have done it. It's just harder.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MaximumAC » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:39 pm

I've got about 4 hours on my used Spotz2 now. Was initially advised to raise the stab all the way up. I have a relatively firm foiling background on SS and Moses wings (H5, H4, 790) and am trying to branch into racing. I've gotten pretty comfy on the spotz on long tacks while heeled over and am curious if anybody has advice or tuning tips. Obviously a lot of it is stance dependent, but any thoughts on how to best work my way though race gybes? Currently I feel like my rear leg is taking considerably more of the brunt than i'd expect. I'm using 2 front straps but no rear strap as I try to figure out best race stance. I feel like i'm beginning to understand the utility of a really wide stance for maximum control through waves and wake, but when I get cranking I often move my rear foot forward.

Return to “Hydrofoil”