Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sonic 2 18 m or Soul 21?

For all foil kite riders
Rodolfo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cullera - Denia (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: El Pollo (Cullera-Spain)
Cumbuco-Brazil
Style: Old School - Race
Gear: Flysurfer Boost 2 18
Flysurfer Sonic 2 15
F-One Bandit 12
Ozone Edge V9 9
F-One Bandit 7
F-One Trax Carbon
Foil Taaroa
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sonic 2 18 m or Soul 21?

Postby Rodolfo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:31 pm

For lightwind, and freeride, with TT or Hydrofoil... I like jumping. Which kite is better?? Thanks!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Sonic 2 18 m or Soul 21?

Postby foilholio » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:21 am

Unless you are getting consistent wind under 6-7knots a 21m is too big for a hydrofoil. I think Sonic will jump better.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:32 am

I'd say that largest foil kite available is not a good plan. I am 110kg and my largest foil kite is 15m2 Sonic2. On Sonic1 I demoed 15m2 and 18m2 back-to-back for 4 hours on very low wind with TT and I could not get any advantage on 18 for freeride, same conclusion with my friends doing the same. The 15 was more lively and it could be driven for the same power. My suggestion would be going for 15m2 kite with 6m extensions for ultra-low-wind (ULW) which I say is single digit winds in knots.

I own Sonic2 but I am interested at Soul. So out of these two Sonic2 15m2 and Soul 15m2 I would probably *now* select Soul for cheaper price and 12mon free-repair warranty and more generic freeride design. Soul 18m I've demoed back to back to my Sonic2-15 and Soul-18 delivered the power in ULW too. For boosting Olly Bridge (FS team rider) selected Soul line over all other kites available on FS product line. But we are now talking ULW Soul like 15m2 and not 8m Soul what Olly prefers to use. So might be different thing.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Had a Sonic FR 18m, never had a chance to ride a Sonic2 in that size. I loved it for twintip. If I could get it in the air(heavy fabric on the FR) I could ride my twintip. For hydrofoiling, unless you’re a big big boy or plan on racing with a fast wind, it’s going to be pretty useless. It was so so sweet though on hangtime and looping it always have a little more lift. Still is my favorite big foil.

Since the fabric is nicer and lighter on the Soul, that’s what I would pick for the large sizes right now. If you can wait till the new year, I think the Sonic3 will come out and I’m expecting big improvements. Like VMG performance with near Soul handling.

Rodolfo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cullera - Denia (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: El Pollo (Cullera-Spain)
Cumbuco-Brazil
Style: Old School - Race
Gear: Flysurfer Boost 2 18
Flysurfer Sonic 2 15
F-One Bandit 12
Ozone Edge V9 9
F-One Bandit 7
F-One Trax Carbon
Foil Taaroa
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rodolfo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:08 am

Thanks to all! Maybe the option is wait to the 2020...

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:06 am

Sorry I did not look at your profile kite listing because I was answering initially on mobile phone. You already have "Flysurfer Sonic 2 15" listed as owned kite. I think going to Sonic2 18 won't add anything to LW freeride performance. If you don't have extensions, get 6m ones and fast board for ULW. I mean it would be hard to improve in my opinion low end over Sonic2 15m you already have.

If twintip'g is still on your aim and you don't have LW specific TT-board I'd be interested in Transformer-board:
http://www.marinakiteshop.com/TRANSFORM ... 45x47.html

Return to “Foil Kites”