Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: New hydrofoil / wave kite and bar: Kauper-XT

Postby FrederikS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 pm

Rainer Kauper wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:09 pm
FrederikS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:28 pm
It would still have the safety system just without the internal trim.
What do you dislike at the internal trim?

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
-----------------
If you have 65-70 cm bar throw that would be enough for the full effective sheeting range on a Ozone Hyperlink V2. For simplicity, weight and price leave it out :)

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 pm

Rainer Kauper wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:22 am
BTW: What do you expect to see beside a QR that opens by pushing away from your body, a bar sliding on one frontline towards the kite and a kite that flies to the surface of the water without any power? I mean if you tell me exactly what you would like to see I can try to show that in the video. I am asking since it sounds a little bit strange to me that you may think I have not tested the safety system many times before we put the bar system to the open market. In 2019 a push-away QR with single-frontline-safety-system ist standard and so works the Pintxo bar too.

We want to see how the safety line and the depower line are run through the plastic tube. From the pictures on the web site we cannot see if the tube has both lines, and if it has two chambers.

I would like to know how the back line depower is set up inside the bar. I assume the back lines join together inside the bar and there is some kind of pulley or post inside the bar for the knotted line to be able to pull out to shorten the back lines.

The hole in the bar for the depower line looks very narrow. Other brands have a wide shaped hole to avoid wear and to be able to steer and sheet at the same time. We are concerned a narrow hole with no shaping would have some problems.

I think the web site is very good in that it shows lots of stuff, but it is very light on detail. For example, the popup on the safety system says a lot about the quick release, but nothing about how the sliding up the front line is achieved.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
geokite (Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:07 am

Keep us updated if you ship to the states. I’ll pick up a bar.

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mallorca Beaches
Style: Riding nice waves & Hydrofoil
Gear: Maverick Kites
Pintxo Bar
Brand Affiliation: Kauper XT

Postby Rainer Kauper » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:47 pm

Hi,

please see below my answers to your questions and statements:
ice wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:53 pm
my concern would be line wrap around bar ends, given no floaties
A line wrap at bars ends is also depending on the shape of the bar ends. For most bars on the market the extreme end points down and that's where the line stays hanging. At the Pintxo bar the ends point up and so the line always slips over. When designing the bar ends I was 100% aware of this issue and we have tested many times to see how it works.

grigorib wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:36 pm
I'd suggest to adjust kite LE in future version so when looking at it from the side the outline would appeared curved back, but not flat. It adds so much to relaunchability and that's what you want to make sure you have for lightwind kites
Maybe it´s just because of the perspective of the pictures, but the kite is curved back at LE to get good lightwind relaunch performance. It´s really not flat there.

FrederikS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 pm
If you have 65-70 cm bar throw that would be enough for the full effective sheeting range on a Ozone Hyperlink V2. For simplicity, weight and price leave it out :)
With 60cm bar throw it´s from my point of view the maximum to reach the bar after untwisting the lines by turning the bar. I am approx 180 cm and have quite long arms. Because of the very short QR you can manage it, but I would see it as uncomfortable to have a longer bar throw. For shorter riders it would be even unsafe.

OzBungy wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 pm
We want to see how the safety line and the depower line are run through the plastic tube. From the pictures on the web site we cannot see if the tube has both lines, and if it has two chambers.
Only one chamber. The outside diameter of the PU tube is 6mm and the inside diameter is only 4mm, so just enough to carry both flying lines. Maybe you ask now if the 2 lines could twist around themselves inside the PU tube because of only on single chamber? The answer is NO. I have this bar now in use for approx. 150 sessions and the lines are still straight. That´s because of the turning point below the QR. This makes the lines always stay at position where they should be. If you use the Wichard snap shackle you can use the swivel to untwist the lines after looping the kite or make lops yourself, but the 2 frontlines will never twist inside the PU-Tube. That´s one of the very special features of the bar.

OzBungy wrote:
I would like to know how the back line depower is set up inside the bar. I assume the back lines join together inside the bar and there is some kind of pulley or post inside the bar for the knotted line to be able to pull out to shorten the back lines.
There are no pulleys inside the bar in order to have a simple system quite resistant against sand, dust etc.

OzBungy wrote:
The hole in the bar for the depower line looks very narrow. Other brands have a wide shaped hole to avoid wear and to be able to steer and sheet at the same time. We are concerned a narrow hole with no shaping would have some problems.
The hole at the base side is very narrow, but the one on the top side of the bar is a long hole. Therefor you can easily sheet in and out at the same time while steering up to approx. 45° degrees. My goal was to keep the Carbon tube as durable as possible. A big hole is weakening the Carbon and decreases the breaking load.

Image and Image

OzBungy wrote:
I think the web site is very good in that it shows lots of stuff, but it is very light on detail. For example, the popup on the safety system says a lot about the quick release, but nothing about how the sliding up the front line is achieved.
As Toby already has asked me to do I will post a video soon how it works. Please give me some days.

Thanks

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
-----------------
Last edited by Rainer Kauper on Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Rainer Kauper for the post:
ice (Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TimoHecken
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NW-Germany
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle/Foil
Gear: Ride Clash Boards, WH Maniac, Ozone Hyperlink UL
Brand Affiliation: rideclash / Wainman / Dakine

Postby TimoHecken » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:58 pm

What i asked myself when you pointed out first, that you did'nt want to weaken the Carbon, why didn't you add an eyelet? Or did you Experiment with that? I could only guess, that maybe it hinders sheeting but otherwise ist the most stable option.

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Pintxo Bar

Postby Rainer Kauper » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:13 pm

TimoHecken wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:58 pm
What i asked myself when you pointed out first, that you did'nt want to weaken the Carbon, why didn't you add an eyelet? Or did you Experiment with that? I could only guess, that maybe it hinders sheeting but otherwise ist the most stable option.
My very first bars hat an external eyelet in the center of the bar, but I didn´t like the feeling when testing last summer. To me the bar felt indirect and the tow point was not centred so I decided to search for a solution how to get a depower-rope covered by PU-tube and make it thin enough to let it go through the bar. The Carbon tube I use now has 22mm outside and 18mm inside diameter. That is very stable.

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
-----------------
These users thanked the author Rainer Kauper for the post (total 2):
nixmatters (Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:15 pm) • TimoHecken (Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:24 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

TimoHecken
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NW-Germany
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle/Foil
Gear: Ride Clash Boards, WH Maniac, Ozone Hyperlink UL
Brand Affiliation: rideclash / Wainman / Dakine

Postby TimoHecken » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:26 pm

Ok, thought that might be the case. More even when theres a tube involved. I'm curious how everything hold ups when the chickenloop bangs against the bar for a longer amount of times. But it will be more the case with unhooked riding still over a Long time it might be something to consider. But for the intended use it should hold up a long time. I had maybe thought about sleeving the hole to prevent the safety to bang against the carbon but thats details. Looks good!

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Pintxo Bar

Postby Rainer Kauper » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:30 pm

TimoHecken wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:26 pm
Ok, thought that might be the case. More even when theres a tube involved. I'm curious how everything hold ups when the chickenloop bangs against the bar for a longer amount of times. But it will be more the case with unhooked riding still over a Long time it might be something to consider. But for the intended use it should hold up a long time.
The Pintxo bar is NOT designed for unhooked riding so there is simply no bang between the QR and the carbon tube
TimoHecken wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:26 pm
I had maybe thought about sleeving the hole to prevent the safety to bang against the carbon but thats details. Looks good!
In fact the carbon tube is much more durable than the QR. The winders, the centerpiece inside the bar and the QR are plastic injection parts made of PA66 with 15% fibreglass. This material is very tough and definitely softer than the carbon tube. My goal was to protect the carbon tube first and then the other parts which are way easier to replace if necessary after long time in use.

Thanks

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
-----------------

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:44 pm

yeah, strictly hooked, love it!

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Maybe I missed your response but there is a question/comment by several people: US customers. When will you be selling in North America?

Return to “Hydrofoil”