A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
faklord
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Minor repairs to carbon wing

Postby faklord » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:58 pm

rolfjoosten wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:28 am
Instead of using superglue with baking soda you can use super glue with graphite powder for small chips. This makes the repaired spot black.
For bigger chips I use polyester resin with microbaloons and black milk paint powder. This can be sanded very nicely for a great finish.
Polyester? I thought polyester didn’t stick well to cured epoxy? (which is what I assume is used in most carbon wings).
Conversely I believe epoxy can be used to repair a polyester based part.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:59 pm

I find paper mache excellent for repairing large cracks through the carbon fibre. For a more discreet repair just mix a little black ink into the flour and water.

.....That is assuming that you then retire your wing to a display model only and dont let it get wet :o :rollgrin:

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:25 am

so just did a trailing edge repair with two part epoxy mixed with carbon fiber. Sanded starting at 100 going to 2000.
I might have made a mistake. I hung my wing and sprayed it with Rustolium Gloss Laqueour. The finish has a rough feel to it. Do i need to sand that off and refinish with something else?

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:01 am

skideeppow wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:25 am
so just did a trailing edge repair with two part epoxy mixed with carbon fiber. Sanded starting at 100 going to 2000.
I might have made a mistake. I hung my wing and sprayed it with Rustolium Gloss Laqueour. The finish has a rough feel to it. Do i need to sand that off and refinish with something else?
I don't recommend spraying with clear. It's not furniture and you create a layer that can peel, bubble etc. Then it's a real mess. Just hit with black spray paint, wet sand again, hit it again if you don't like sand through. Acts like a fine filler.

skideeppow
Medium Poster

Postby skideeppow » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:24 pm

cwood wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:01 am
skideeppow wrote:
I don't recommend spraying with clear. It's not furniture and you create a layer that can peel, bubble etc. Then it's a real mess. Just hit with black spray paint, wet sand again, hit it again if you don't like sand through. Acts like a fine filler.
so i rode the wing yesterday, and with that laqueour, it made the wing dive. I could barley keep it on foil.. I came back in and sanded it off and it was as good as new. Accept it has that shitty dull coat look.
any idea on how to get it back to that original carbon look?

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:30 pm

skideeppow wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:24 pm
cwood wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:01 am
skideeppow wrote:
so i rode the wing yesterday, and with that laqueour, it made the wing dive. I could barley keep it on foil.. I came back in and sanded it off and it was as good as new. Accept it has that shitty dull coat look.
any idea on how to get it back to that original carbon look?
The drying of the coating may have left off gassing residue that impacted the flow and caused ventilation. Always clean with alcohol or windex. The dull look is the sign of a well prepped wing and mast! Shiny is over rated and they never stay that way unless you are retentively careful and only foil in soft sand locations.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:19 pm

Shiny looks great and is easy to do, just good 600 wet sanding prep, then dry dustless warm garage, doors closed, final damp paper cloth finish after warm water wash with detergent, hairdryer dry,final damp paper cloth, then new dry garage paper just before spraying with gloss black, after 3 light sprays check for any surface reaction to the paint, air holes in the carbon can play havoc with the finish as can transfers that have been rubbed down to the sticker, if no reaction then leave over night and finish surface with 800 wet paper 3 light coats again leave for 15mins and repeat the 3 light coats.
always spray a little paint against a sheet of cardboard before hitting the wing surface, shake the can well before each coat. leave the area carefully, keep doors and windows shut an hour before spraying and for 12 hrs after.

for a much better matt finish then use 600 wet paper with a wet cloth or wet sponge/foam block between your hand and the wet sanding paper, use long front to back strokes, with light pressure only, after each double pass from one end to the other, stop, clean surface with wet cloth and dry with garage paper, inspect surface for where you may have missed and for surface finish.
I have found that the best results are achieved before the paint has fully hardened/cured, around 12-18 hrs after the final spraying.
it is amazing the difference this matt finish makes, not a shimmie, shake or vibration, nothing, brilliant!
with this matt finish you will be shocked if you or any one else ever touches the matt finish, a finger print will be visible or a faint smear, skin oil,
the enemy of faultless water flow over the working surfaces, god forbid if anyone is wearing sun oil and runs their hands over the surfaces.
I am having fun customising my moses matt finish wings at the moment, see below.

Image[/URL]
Or the shiny gloss version below before matting down
[URL=https://www.directupload.net]Image

skideeppow
Medium Poster

Postby skideeppow » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:27 pm

What is garage paper?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:12 pm

simply the blue roll type you can get from hardware stores, or nick the wife's kitchen roll but not the stuff that has fluffy ragged edges when you tear it, they may leave micro shards of paper dust in the air when you tear or are using it. cheap type kitchen roll basicly, the best stuff is from Aldi which you find in the tools section.

snowycreek
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sand Bar
Favorite Beaches: Sand Bar
Been thanked: 0

Postby snowycreek » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Foil: interesting to hear that you are "matting down" (new verb alert) your Moses foils. My first carbon foil was a Zeeko Carbon that came with Matt finish. About that same time, I purchased a high end orbital polisher and was looking for things to polish. With a little polishing Rouge the Zeeko came out looking like a show car; absolutely beautiful. When the time came to ride it the results were horrible! The water grabbed and released the foil in high frequency causing shimmy and a jerky ride.
I matted it back to the original finish and the smooth ride returned. Not scientific but I am convinced that a Matt finish is desireable

Return to “Hydrofoil”