Fonte Da Telha, Portugal
Lagoa de Obidos, Portugal
Favorite Beaches: Lagoa de Obidos, Guincho Portugal
Style: waveriding
Gear: Naish Boxer
Brand Affiliation: North, Naish, Mystic, Ride Engine Portugal

Re: Best city in world for kitesurf vacation

Postby Stefan1 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:21 pm

We are riding day by day in Obidos, Portugal. Super nice flat lagoon with the ocean behind. Using 4/3mm wet suits during autumn and spring, and 3/2 during the summer.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:31 am

Thanks for the information!
NZ is for sure on the list. Just have to convince the family to do the van/motorhome camping. The spot south of Lisbon looks great! I've been traveling in Portugal quite a bit. But not that spot. Guincho is to much for Foil. Obidos is a lagoon, too shallow. Been in Brazil 4x for 2 weeks. 3x w/o family. Kiting is great, Fortaleza is a bit rough for us...

Jfoil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kanaha
Style: Surfboard waves & foiling
Gear: Surf board & 5,6,8m kites

Postby Jfoil » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:19 pm

I like Mauritius and Maui best both for waves. Margaret River, Western Australia is 3rd. Foiling and a City then Perth and you can travel down to Augusta which is a cool place with flat water or waves. Their summertime I still wear a 3/5 wetsuit though.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:30 pm

To the OP. I think your search to combine will not be satisfied and you should reconsider your strategy. You will have an unhappy family looking for awesome museums, culture, food, and city things near a great kite beach OR you will be unhappy because you are not at a world class kitesurf destination. I suggest you make a deal: Half the vacation at the best city and half at the best kitesurf. You can find a reasonable kite spot which they will view as a normal beach vacation and avoid desolate and scary places with no infrastructure. Most but not all kite destinations will be fine for your family. At least, this is the approach that has gotten peace and happiness in my family as I am very picky about kite destinations.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:46 pm

Has Puerto Rico been mentioned?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:21 pm

Eduardo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:30 pm
To the OP. I think your search to combine will not be satisfied and you should reconsider your strategy. You will have an unhappy family looking for awesome museums, culture, food, and city things near a great kite beach OR you will be unhappy because you are not at a world class kitesurf destination. I suggest you make a deal: Half the vacation at the best city and half at the best kitesurf. You can find a reasonable kite spot which they will view as a normal beach vacation and avoid desolate and scary places with no infrastructure. Most but not all kite destinations will be fine for your family. At least, this is the approach that has gotten peace and happiness in my family as I am very picky about kite destinations.
That's the whole point ... "best city in the world for kitesurfing vacation"? There are lots of amazing & beautiful places to kitesurf in the world, but the "best city", to me, implies somewhere that is interesting to visit AS A CITY, that also has access to good kitesurfing. Maui doesn't qualify, nor, I think, do cities in NZ (no offence), or many other places. I am assuming that the city needs to have history, culture, museums & a variety of other tourist sites to visit, as well as good restaurants, nightlife etc. to provide a rounded experience for the non-kiting partner.. Lisbon & the surrounding area has all these things. If you don't need a particularly urban environment, then places like South Africa, NZ, OZ, Hawai etc. offer great kiting plus lots of interesting things to see, that are not so urban. But I agree with Eduardo - combining city activities with kitesurfing is a tricky mix.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:56 am

Toby wrote:Has Puerto Rico been mentioned?
Flyboy wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:21 pm
Eduardo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:30 pm
That's the whole point ... "best city in the world for kitesurfing vacation"? There are lots of amazing & beautiful places to kitesurf in the world, but the "best city", to me, implies somewhere that is interesting to visit AS A CITY, that also has access to good kitesurfing. Maui doesn't qualify, nor, I think, do cities in NZ (no offence), or many other places. I am assuming that the city needs to have history, culture, museums & a variety of other tourist sites to visit, as well as good restaurants, nightlife etc. to provide a rounded experience for the non-kiting partner.. Lisbon & the surrounding area has all these things. If you don't need a particularly urban environment, then places like South Africa, NZ, OZ, Hawai etc. offer great kiting plus lots of interesting things to see, that are not so urban. But I agree with Eduardo - combining city activities with kitesurfing is a tricky mix.
this all gets to the question of what you are looking for in a city. if the answer is great food and night life, then there are many possibilities. For example, Mancora Peru has great food and discos open until sunrise and an amazing wave close by. But if you are thinking "Louvre by the beach" then you are in trouble. Not many great museums and culture sites near kite beaches. sorry...

Kees
Medium Poster
Weight: 200lbs
Local Beach: Panama City beach, Fl
Style: Freeride
Gear: Lieuwe shotgun, lite wave wing, LF overdrive, pivot, core xr6

Postby Kees » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:31 am

Don’t know if anybody has mentioned Amsterdam? Nice city with lots to do for all! Then there are tons of possibilities for kiteboarding, North Sea at Zandvoort, several great spots around the ijselmeer, all close by car or even train/bus. The wind can be a bit unpredictable in the summer though.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:49 am

Kailua and Lanikai- Stay local or in Waikiki. kite, shop, surf, eat, snorkel, sup, scuba. Summer 28-30c with water temp of 24c. Kite flat, waves.

Melbourne - Can kite all year round at different spots around the bay. St Kilda, Brighton, Hampton, Rosebud. Or venture down the southern tip 2hrs and kite Sandy Point, Shallow Inlet, San Remo or Inerloch. Better than Perth.....You will come out of Port Philip Bay in Melb with both legs. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Travel”