A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Shinn Jackson - Sunburner

Postby Windigo1 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:28 pm

I have the Jackson 145 and P and F wing that's what I used to learn on and it's a great setup. Now I have a Groove skate with an Axis foil but I am holding on the Shinn foil it's indestructible and super easy to ride. I was on trip last week to Cuba where the luggage handler are particularly nasty I brought the Shinn setup the wind was light but I foiled every day as much as I could handle and I had no worries about my expensive carbon fiber board being destroyed.

Kitetwin-1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle point
The BlueWater Bridge
Brights Grove
Favorite Beaches: Cuba cayo Guillermo
Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:38 pm

I do agree that the track pads tends to separate from the board. I think this is less about how they are glued on and more of how you are handling the board. There is a good size moment caused by the foil when you carry the board. Be aware of it and you will spend far less time fixing the pads.
These users thanked the author Kitetwin-1 for the post:
dkazhdan (Fri May 24, 2019 9:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Shinnworld2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: El Cabezo, Tenerife
Gear: Shinn, Blade, Da Kine,
Brand Affiliation: Owner Shinn Kiteboards
Has thanked: 0

Postby Shinnworld2 » Mon May 27, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi all,

There was an issue with the pads sticking that was caused by the gloss lacquer. We use a UV curing lacquer and it appears there is a residue on the finished lacquer that reacts with the 3M adhesive. Not many boards had this issue and if yours did then I can only apologise. The Sunburner does not have this gloss lacquer and we have not had any pad sticking issues till now. Fingers crossed......
Apart from a superficial look at the outline a closer look at the Jackson Sunburner will show that it is a completely different animal than the previous one. The lifted rails are gone and replaced with a heavily channeled base. The Base shaping is 100% designed to stiffen the board with less laminate needed, the Sunburner is also laminated in unidirectional carbon another step to decrease weight and increase stiffness.
128 weighs in at 2.8 kg (naked) - This is around 700 grammes lighter than last years 130 size and is around 40% stiffer. I am quietly confident you won't find a lighter or stiffer production ABS technology board on the market at this time. For comparisons sake, I have a carbon race board from a leading brand and the board weighs 2.4 kg - considering the difference in price and durability the Jackson is certainly not a 'lump" at all. Yes, I know it is possible to build a custom board at 2 kg or less but that is not a "like for like" comparison.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the purpose of a forum is for everyone to be able to voice their opinion however until you have held the board in your hands or test ridden it I think labelling it as "heavy and soft" is a little bit of a harsh and inaccurate report......

Mark Shinn
These users thanked the author Shinnworld2 for the post (total 3):
Ulrik (Mon May 27, 2019 3:34 pm) • PeaBody (Tue May 28, 2019 1:37 pm) • wheat (Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:05 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:31 am

I’ve had about 4 sessions now on my Jackson with the 60 mast and P foil and I’m loving it. Seen quite a few where I kite and I’ve never heard any complaints about them.

The pad has already lifted on mine which is disappointing, but I’ve glued it back down and hoping that will sort it.

As said before, it’s bomb proof and a perfect learning tool. The new version looks nice but until I’m able to turn around in both directions I see no point in upgrading. If anything, I’m tempted to try the F foil or the K my set up.

Regards,
Simon

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:55 pm

Si_B wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:31 am
I’ve had about 4 sessions now on my Jackson with the 60 mast and P foil and I’m loving it. Seen quite a few where I kite and I’ve never heard any complaints about them.

The pad has already lifted on mine which is disappointing, but I’ve glued it back down and hoping that will sort it.

As said before, it’s bomb proof and a perfect learning tool. The new version looks nice but until I’m able to turn around in both directions I see no point in upgrading. If anything, I’m tempted to try the F foil or the K my set up.

Regards,
Simon
Makes sense. You may have saved me wasting my money. Thank you.

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:01 pm

Not sure how I’ve helped here?

Simon

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:54 pm

Si_B wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:01 pm
Not sure how I’ve helped here?

Simon
Lol. I can see why you wouldn’t realise. You helped me understand the Jackson’s just fine and I don’t need to swap it for the Sunburner.

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:03 pm

Did my first foiling gybes to toeside yesterday on my P foil with 75cm mast and Jackson 145. Was my 8/9th session. Great tool to learn on.

Simon

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby NEkitesurfing » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:06 pm

I had the first SHINN Jackson in 130 cm which was great and now Im using the Jackson Sunburner 128 cm. Both Jacksons are pieces of art for me which I would like to have both in my collection. Both boards are looking so good in reality but that is personal taste. Because I cant ride both boards at the same time and because I want to have the lighter board I sold the Jackson 130 from 2018. The Jackson Sunburner 128 is lighter and offers a slighty different stance and track position that fits perfectly to my Moses 590 and SHINN K and K2 Foil. (sold the MOSES already because I like the K and K2 a lot more) Although it is lighter it is a little stiffer as well. The SHINN Jacksons are always a perfect choice for travelling because they are much more durable than any EPS/ Foam Core board. The Sunburner version is as durable as the previous version. Waterstarting strapless is much easier because of its low volume which allows to press the board a little under the water surface to place the feet on it.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:00 pm

I did a quick review of the "Shinn Sunburner" a few months ago, since then I have obviously had a lot more time on it and have to say how much of an improvement the Sunburner is over the previous Jackson which was also a great board.
The feedback from all who have tried our demo Sunburner is just how much stiffer the whole setup is but also how it is lighter too.

Super durable construction and obviously thin like a TT so great for travel and a pretty keen price too, plus all the other options to swap and change wings etc

Return to “Hydrofoil”