Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby windmaker » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:07 am

tomtom wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:04 am
I absolutely cannot understand need for swivel. The manual ones needs to be untwist manually and the automatic ones are are jokes. Just loop kite.
/
Are you suggesting racers should loop their kites after each tack or jibe to untwist their lines :D ? Well no they prefer to ride with crossed lines (no big deal) as looping the kite on an upwind leg is counter productive.

When riding my surfboard one of my favourite moves is a double forward with kite loop . Untwisting my lines would need 3 consecutive down loops. A manual swivel is in my opinion more practical.

When rigging your kite a swivel allows you to attach the front lines to your kite without the need to untwist your lines (much faster).

benlvq
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby benlvq » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:41 am

Here is my bar and a full article about my different choices with many links (but in french sorry). Thanks for all your ideas.
https://www.onekite.com/topic/13492/

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:07 am

A simple trim adjuster.

benlvq
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby benlvq » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 pm

Do you know where we can find on internet inox pin for making our own Quick release system ? I found mine on kite leash but I want a shorter one to go with this 3D shape piece :

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28431 ... aSEfqU-My8

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:37 am

Same as benlvq, where to find a stainless steel needle to fit inside a DiY safety release ?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:22 am

benlvq wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 pm
Do you know where we can find on internet inox pin for making our own Quick release system ? I found mine on kite leash but I want a shorter one to go with this 3D shape piece :

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:28431 ... aSEfqU-My8

Thinking outside the box, cut it, that's your pin:

https://www.316shop.com.au/product-grou ... /1425-pins

However, looks like no one will warn you, that carbine is a recept for a disaster. Just saying.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:21 am

downunder wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:22 am
However, looks like no one will warn you, that carbine is a recept for a disaster. Just saying.
You are right... and for the less clever readers here I will spell it out.
If you fall/get pushed by a wave in your lines, the carabine might catch one of your lines. Should that happen kiteloops without option to release anything are likely what will follow...

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:02 am

Just a reminder to the uninitiated, the force behind a loaded release pin is more than enough to gouge out a good chunk of any flesh it comes into contact with! Personally I would never use a short release mushroom.

To see for yourself just lightly load the line and release it so the pin hits the back of a finger then extrapolate that feeling to a fully loaded kite situation!

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:12 pm

Herman wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:02 am
Just a reminder to the uninitiated, the force behind a loaded release pin is more than enough to gouge out a good chunk of any flesh it comes into contact with! Personally I would never use a short release mushroom.

To see for yourself just lightly load the line and release it so the pin hits the back of a finger then extrapolate that feeling to a fully loaded kite situation!
I know what you mean, I've been building some of these short release mushroom bars and so far I have tested them at home and Mouse trapped my finger a few times... ouch. I haven't released when connected my harness and under load yet but I figured that the opposing force on the ring would stop the pin long enough from flicking up and smashing your finger...?

I can't imagine the hundreds if not thousands of BRM kiters would tolerate that system if they lost their finger every time they ejected?

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:21 pm

Macster
I agree we are not talking major risk here, release pins have been used for years and the danger is similar with witchard nose release shackles and they to have been used for many years.
In 25 years I have only seen one documented case of injury but it was quite nasty, it was to tendons in the palm. I believe this incident preceded the development of the ironheart system!

Just another thing to be aware of when planning how you release!

Return to “Kitesurfing”