Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

a not too expensive but quality Hydrofoil board?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
athen
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

a not too expensive but quality Hydrofoil board?

Postby athen » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi All! :D

Could you advice a not too expensive but quality Hydrofoil board? The price of the complete kits from famous brands are crazy! Too high!!
I do not doubt their quality, but if a person can't afford to pay 2000/2500 € for a complete Hydrofoil board kit, should I have the only option to buy a trash kit?

In Europe it's also not easy to find used equipment at honest prices and in online ads there's really little to consider.

Do you have any advice on brand/model producing good quality Hydrofoil board kit at human prices?
What about brands like GONG, Spleene, RLboards? their prices are significantly lower, but their quality?
Also CrazyFly can be found at low prices if USED, but again what about their quality?

I am looking for an ADVANCED riders' board (I took some lessons and then rentals but now I am ready to buy my board).

THANK YOU!!

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: a not too expensive but quality Hydrofoil board?

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:54 pm

It is crazy these days! Looking at any kite shop online and the choice is paralyzing. All these future compatibility concerns too. Used to be there was the one cheap fairly crappy but still fun option and a load of high end race stuff. Lots of better options now, but still plenty of sub par offerings in there too.

My advice is to go with something that has a track record, and not simply a big kite brands foil.

Everybody is getting clued in now, but kite companies have a tendency to rush it and put out products that are half baked, just to get their hat in the ring.

Companies like Zeeko, and Moses, and Lift have been doing actual R&D in foils for long enough to bank on. Some like Slingshot and even LF have some decent experience. SS has so much on offer its a bit overwhelming, but spend some time reading and your likely to land on the product you want.

Good luck, no matter what you end up with, it will fly and you will have fun. Not much help in the end.

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:01 pm

I faced the same conflict here in North America.

Unfortunately, you're either coughing up the money for a serious setup or you're buying the cheaper stuff regardless of quality.

I was able to get my hands on a used CRX foil for a reasonable price. People will shit on that product all day long, but I don't care. When I received it, the wings had some damage. I got out the west systems epoxy and fixed what I could. Now, I ride it any chance I get. I'm pretty sure my repairs caused the wings to now whistle during flight, but again, I could care less. I'm still foiling while others are sitting on the beach. My opinion is that it's probably not the best, but I'm making it work. I've never used a "good" hydrofoil so really I don't know any better anyway.

But really I could say the same thing about my entire kiting 'career', I've always been using gear way more used than other local riders. I almost never buy new boards and kites, I just try to find the best used deals and repair or modify the stuff to work for me, on my budget. You don't need money to be good at kiting, you just need some creativity, dedication and practice....TONS of practice. Whether riding or repairing your gear.

My advice is buy what you can afford and progress as needed. There's lots of inexpensive, DIY solutions for foiling, you just need to put in a little more effort to get them to work.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:02 pm

Axis gets my vote.

What size board? What style wing? What sort of riding, what conditions, what's your location like?

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:11 pm

Gong, if you are a beginner take a look at their surf/sup foil. The Medium wing is reported to be a very easy ride, like a moses 633 Good foil to progress on... (italian forum...)

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/produit/gon ... or-65-m-3/

Complete set costs 800€ (yes board and foil), If you give them a call they are probably willing to make a pack with the surf/sup wing for you.
In my experience their products are well build. No cheap shit, just no big marketing budgets and no retailers..

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/

Alternative woud me moses alu mast Onda 633 with an old converted SB or secondhand foil board

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:19 pm

Zeeko and Lift both make very good foils for the price. To save money, buy a used board, or make one if you are handy.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:39 pm

I've had Crazy fly twintips, I consider them good quality. And I consider their foil board (F-lite I think it's called) pretty good quality as well. Can't say anything about their foil (never seen one). I also have a GONG foil, it also looks fine (strong) to me. I think they're relatively (very) cheap, partly because of the materials used, not because of bad design, workmanship etc. But I'm a total beginner, can't really judge the design.

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:19 pm

If you want an “advanced” kit and don’t want trash you’ve got to pay for it. Don’t worry, if you buy quality it will be awesome :thumb:

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:41 pm

I just received a Gong Allvator foil. I haven't tried it yet but the craftsmanship is very nice looks solid everything fits together real tight and it come with a really nice padded bag less than 300 euros. My friend has been riding the Hellvator foil for over a year he hit rocks last year at full speed bent the screws holding the wing but nothing broke. Great company good quality stuff at very reasonable prices. I'll probably order the Surf foil soon since I'm very happy with quality and price of the Kite foil. They have nice boards too super light and almost indestructible.
Last edited by Windigo1 on Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:46 pm

yeah..
"value" wise... gong will probably be the best you'll find

Return to “Hydrofoil”