A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

Click bar for foiling

Postby neilhapgood » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:17 pm

Hi all, any opinions on if the click bar has any significant pros or cons for foiling?

Thanks

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Re: Click bar for foiling

Postby Foil » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:47 pm

for LEI kites they are awesome,
Small lei kites used for foiling are spun a lot, the way the click bar auto spins the center lines, or prevents the center lines from ever twisting around each other is a big plus,
also the fact most guys need to de-power their lei as soon as they are up and away, not taking your hands off the bar to de-power is another
plus,
the quick release in my opinion is only beaten by the Ozone click in bar,

but the big problem for many users is the lines are not great, in that they break too easily, up near the kite end, and the red safety line hidden inside the quick release.
easily sorted, but why the need to upgrade the lines, when the bar costs so much when new.

For the reasons above I have now sold 3 of my click bars and bought ozone compact click in bars, they feel just better, safer! and better for my Ozone foil kites.
still got one click bar for my small Lei kites, but swapped out all the lines to power Q, which is such a great combination.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
neilhapgood (Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:44 am

Foil wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:47 pm
Probably do you joking speaking that Ozone qr is better. Have you seen Ruben Lenten accident in spring with this bar quick release ??
Lot of users of this complaining that this quick release is to loose in sliding situation.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:50 am

I try to avoid using my click bar for foiling.

Too much friction in the plastic centre lines (especially when they twist slightly as its not a circular shape) so its not as easy to sheet in and out whilst turning the bar. You don't have this problem with a twin tip or surf board because you generally have enough pull on the front lines to keep them straight. When foiling (certainly on a slow surf style foil) you are often riding with barely any pull in the lines and this is when it becomes an issue. You get the same issue when relaunching in light winds - the bar often gets stuck full powered and you can't push the bar away. I did see a foiling setup on the australian forum where the guy changed all the lines for thinner lines and put a rope centre line in. That looked like a good setup.

The trim mechanism is great though. Intuitive and

Note - comments from a first generation click bar. Maybe something has been changed to make it better. I still prefer rope centre lines compared to any of the plastic coated bars I have. YMMV
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
neilhapgood (Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:50 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:06 pm

a99 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:44 am
Foil wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:47 pm
Probably do you joking speaking that Ozone qr is better. Have you seen Ruben Lenten accident in spring with this bar quick release ??
Lot of users of this complaining that this quick release is to loose in sliding situation.
arr, yes your right,
I did notice that myself but fixed it easily in 5 minutes
the "spring" return bit is a short black bit of black bungee elastic, its not short enough as it allows the release to spring open a little to easily, very little force is required for activation, and the top lip of the release is maybe too big and slightly "too sharp" on the edges so can catch a wet suit arm or crash jacket if you brush the two items together,
both fixed in 5 minutes.
1st pull one end of the bungee elastic out through its little hole on the outside of the QR with long nose pliers, pull it as far out as you can, lock it at this point, I used a mini set of mole grips to hold it in place, no grips? use a brake line clamp or ask a mate to hold it with a small pair of pliers, this allows you to undo the knot and move it down around 2cm, dont cut off the free end, no need, and it's better to have it there in case it needs further adjustment, then test that it works as desired, job done!
I also ground down the plastic upper lip, that can catch rubber suits or deck pads when body dragging out, I reduced the lip by 75% and rounded the edges to stop it ever catching, tested it, and it worked well.
I still think the release is better than the north one (with the easy mods)
as to re-load a north quick release under any slight load is flipping almost impossible, the ozone one is silly simple, almost one hand reload, just a very light push straight back in, which has to be the easiest reload of all time :thumb:

rolfjoosten
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Christ Church
Favorite Beaches: Silver Rock Barbados - home
Style: Fun
Gear: Strapless Wave, Hydrofoil

Postby rolfjoosten » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:08 pm

We are using the Click Bar personally and for teaching in our school. I have one bar which went through its 3rd season now without any repairs. (One of the floats broke from pulling it too much doing kiteloops and was replaced on the 2017 first model) The floats are stronger on the newer models where this does not happen anymore.
I personally love the Click Bar and would never change back to the Trust Bar. The Ozone Click in system is definitely nice but overall not better. I am hydrofoiling a lot nowadays with big Moses 683s setup in waves and swells where I kiteloop lots of times. No twisting of lines is a great feature which I don't want to miss along with the effortless depower system. I always depower my kites 2 or 3 clicks on the foil to adjust the pressure point to my liking. The flying lines are not the best but better than the reputation they have on this forum. I have replaced 2 line sets on a 2018 and 2019 Click Bar just out of curiosity to Liros DC200, DC300 and really love them. I mainly use the 2018 bar for foiling now as I made the lines to 19m which I prefer for playing in waves on the HF.
For me the Click Bar is the first bar where I had no parts worn after 150 to 200 hrs. Before Click Bar I ended up replacing my bar or replacing parts after about 150 or 200hrs which always annoyed me.
So in summary, I absolutely love my Click Bar for foiling as there are no wearing parts, no twisted front and safety lines. :thumb:

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:28 pm

rolfjoosten wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:08 pm
We are using the Click Bar personally and for teaching in our school. I have one bar which went through its 3rd season now without any repairs. (One of the floats broke from pulling it too much doing kiteloops and was replaced on the 2017 first model) The floats are stronger on the newer models where this does not happen anymore.
I personally love the Click Bar and would never change back to the Trust Bar. The Ozone Click in system is definitely nice but overall not better. I am hydrofoiling a lot nowadays with big Moses 683s setup in waves and swells where I kiteloop lots of times. No twisting of lines is a great feature which I don't want to miss along with the effortless depower system. I always depower my kites 2 or 3 clicks on the foil to adjust the pressure point to my liking. The flying lines are not the best but better than the reputation they have on this forum. I have replaced 2 line sets on a 2018 and 2019 Click Bar just out of curiosity to Liros DC200, DC300 and really love them. I mainly use the 2018 bar for foiling now as I made the lines to 19m which I prefer for playing in waves on the HF.
For me the Click Bar is the first bar where I had no parts worn after 150 to 200 hrs. Before Click Bar I ended up replacing my bar or replacing parts after about 150 or 200hrs which always annoyed me.
So in summary, I absolutely love my Click Bar for foiling as there are no wearing parts, no twisted front and safety lines. :thumb:
I fully agree !

Used first gen click bar now for three years and its genious not having to leave a stable body position on foil to pull the adjuster. And you always get exactly the amount of adjustment you wish for.
I can´t think of a more innovative product in my quiver the past 10+ years. Apart from Moses Onda and Groove Skate of course :D
Boardway.org provides line replacements in original Liros quality for 130€ for the click bar. So it´s not a real drama as there´s no wear to be detected anywhere else.
And yes I´d like the Ozone click on the quick release, but would definitely not trade it against the adjuster click function.
That´s why I bought a brandnew 2019 Clickbar now and use my old one as spare bar.

mmac
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP
Style: surf
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mmac » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:01 am

When getting overpowered foiling, it is So nice to just click the button to depower. I don't skip a beat. If I had to deal with looking, reaching & adjusting a trim line I would likely come off foil or occasionally crash. I can't imagine foiling without the Click Bar now.

Return to “Hydrofoil”