Flysurfer Peak 4

For all foil kite riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby tomtom » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:08 pm

merl wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:42 pm
A question about bar needs. Foiled with the 5 for a few hours. It seems to me that you need no trim on the bar and perhaps even a few cm extra on the front lines. But my question is whether there is any real use for a trim adjuster on this kite? It feels like it would not be useful as it depowers on a short throw
yes you can live without trim - but i use one 10cm - not because i need it but because it convenient way to adjust anything if needed. If you trim your bar perfectly /with pigtails for example/ you dont need trim.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:26 pm

merl wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:47 pm
Another question : are there tips for ground handling. It is so light that it flaps around like mad on the beach - not as well behaved on the ground as I expected. I was sanding a wingtip. Do you weight it down on the trailing edge instead?

I use two way to start -
First
/my bar is trimed that unhooked kite is backstalled - i weight down bar - and just open the kite downwind - as bar is weighted - kite just sit down on trailing edge backstalled. then go to bar and hotstart. /downwind start/ No kite on earth pull less on hotstart than peak if you let bar all way.

Second way using in winter - in very strong wind - i weight down one folded tip - second tip is pointing direct downwind. then i unfold lines and start from 45 degree a.k.a Cobra start.
Weighted like this it should just lay on ground without any flapping. Its just peace of fabric after all/ Start very slowly be tensioning downwind tip of the kite

For landing - my preferred way is ground it - crash land it to one side so the kite is Grounded - means it loose it shape and lay flat on ground. This is followed by immediate slacking lines.
In very strong wind kite can be catched by wind again but without line tension it is just shapeless bedsheet that is moved by wind so you have no problem to catch it. /quick walk to kite or run will always do it/ Leave bar on ground - weight down kite /one folded tip/second one pointed downwind - do everything with kite on ground level or very near - that way it wont flap. Deal with bar and lines later when kite is secured.

All LEI style assisted laucnh and landing work. With launch there is one condition - helper must be out of way of starting kite /any contact - it loose shape and collapse/ He can hold it folded /like chunk of fabric/ and open kite to the tensioned lines at last moment then on release he must be clear out of kite way.
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
merl (Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Who else is interested in a 2 m?

Postby tomtom » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:41 pm

elguapo wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:03 pm
i'd be interested in a something that can handle up to 30 knots or so..on a foil.
(i was hoping a 3m could handle more than 25 kt)
It can handle 30 without any problem. But smaller kite will be better from 25+
If you can ride 5m from 12 then rough math says in 30 - you can work with aproximately 6 times smaller kite which is about 1m2
And im sure that you can ride with 1m trainer in 30knts. Usually we use bigger kite from practical reasons.

Main reason for me to use smaller kite is be virtually kite less on downwind direction. At 30 knts You tend to feel kite even depowered on loose lines because wind is much faster than your downwind "negative VMG" With small kite there is much less of this "parasitic downwind drag". Drag is same but is transfered to less force. Think about holding big flag on beach in 30knts and then small flag. So i always rig smallest possible flag :)

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Slappysan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:44 am

merl wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:42 pm
It seems to me that you need no trim on the bar and perhaps even a few cm extra on the front lines. But my question is whether there is any real use for a trim adjuster on this kite? It feels like it would not be useful as it depowers on a short throw
The Peak 1 came with a bar that only had 2 trim settings, they switched to a standard trim bar for Peak 2+ though and I wouldn't want to give up the ability to trim this kite. I think what makes it feel unnecessary is the fact that you are foiling so you're on a small kite with little pull so even if the wind picks up you can handle the kite.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:04 am

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 am

For wave foiling, the thinking has been to use the smallest kite possible for the conditions so the kite is "not in the way" when wave riding. Many feel (as I used to) that you just need enough kite to BARELY water start, and then you are good. With P4's, I am finding that I like to be better powered than the "barely water starting standard". And because they depower for amazingly well, you don't really pay a penalty for being solidly powered.

In wind conditions where I have to struggle to water start, I am much more likely to taco the kite with hard cut backs on a wave face. I have had an 8 and a 5 fall out of the sky doing this and I find it limiting as I have to be cautious about this happening. When well powered (very easy water start), I can do whatever I want on a wave and never worry about the kite. And it depowers so well, there is no pull even in well powered conditions. I just have to remember to sheet out more often. Also when well powered, the chances of a water relaunch are much higher and there is more kite support for foot switches. Not a lot of downsides except for the flapping.

Now, instead of using the smallest P4 possible for the conditions, I am aiming to be solidly powered.

What has your experience been?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:26 pm

I aim for be kiteless if i TURN direct downwind. I i feel pull when im riding into lines - /just from kite drift/ - then im on too big kite.

Having all 3 crucial sizes 3,4,5 - really help to be powered just right. Imo that taco you are talking about is when you relative downwind "VMG" is almost same or faster than wind speed - then there is nothing to hold kite in shape. It is possible only in light wind therefore /5,8m/

But i also agree than be powered more than just going is better.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:04 pm

slowboat wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 am
For wave foiling, the thinking has been to use the smallest kite possible for the conditions so the kite is "not in the way" when wave riding. Many feel (as I used to) that you just need enough kite to BARELY water start, and then you are good. With P4's, I am finding that I like to be better powered than the "barely water starting standard". And because they depower for amazingly well, you don't really pay a penalty for being solidly powered.

In wind conditions where I have to struggle to water start, I am much more likely to taco the kite with hard cut backs on a wave face. I have had an 8 and a 5 fall out of the sky doing this and I find it limiting as I have to be cautious about this happening. When well powered (very easy water start), I can do whatever I want on a wave and never worry about the kite. And it depowers so well, there is no pull even in well powered conditions. I just have to remember to sheet out more often. Also when well powered, the chances of a water relaunch are much higher and there is more kite support for foot switches. Not a lot of downsides except for the flapping.

Now, instead of using the smallest P4 possible for the conditions, I am aiming to be solidly powered.

What has your experience been?
interesting.
-

i have seen a peak4 do weird crap if i depower it all the way in high winds and not pay attention to it...
i've havent seen a it taco (yet)...but i/m generally riding slow moving ocean swell (or maybe my wing is very slow)

i wish you never had to worry about a kite... but imo there arent any park& forget it kites yet (some steering is req'd)

not sure if this is helpful...but extend arm and try keeping it parked(fully sheeted out) between 45 degrees and overhead when riding wave or pumping.
...you dont want the kite behind you....but you also dont want the kite so low you that have no chance if you outrun the kite (esp if wind is more onshore)

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:33 am

My small Peak4 also worked very nice for me for unhooked, not wakestyle but for cruising around having a better work out in the arms and shoulders similar to wing foiling. Just try it yourself.

And if you are strong enough (which was on the limit for me) my sensation was that it is maybe even possible to pump start yourself earlier out of the water when being unhooked, set on the right trimm for powerful loops. It is just the abbility similar as on the wing foil to work/move your body weight against the kite, and therefor to pump your foil pretty efficient. I was starting riding the 5 m² with my actualy big (90 litre; 188 x 96 cm; 1700 cm²) Wing foil board in nearly nothing, hard to say as very difficutl gusty conditions but it was unexpected fun.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 am

will try it for sure. But i suppose you was hooked while going into water and unhook then - i no longer have hook on harness. - Unexpected complication :) Or?

Return to “Foil Kites”