A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Neil Pryde Glide Reports/Reviews?

Postby Slappysan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:10 pm

I tried out L wing and S stab last night and so far it's my favourite. I find the L + L is a bit too locked in while the L + S gives me more flowy carving.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:36 pm

Did you put a shim washer on the frontside of the tail wing?

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:24 pm

No shim this time, I had tried a shim with the large stab in the past but didn't find it to make that much difference.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:05 am

I tried the combi Large wing with the small stab without shim washer. Too much pressure on my frontfoot. No fun at all.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:52 am

i only use the L front wing with the S stabilizer. it pivots so much better that way. the extra front foot pressure (relative to LF Impulse wing) takes only a few moments to adjust to. but overall, the L front wing is a bit overkill for kiting. mostly i stick with LF Impulse wings, as that setup is so much more agile than NP L wing. NP L on surfboard will be interesting.

paul s
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby paul s » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:39 pm

Can someone confirm that to reduce lift you use the shim washer with rear bolt of the rear wing?

Does this work by creating more lift from the rear wing so increasing downward pressure on the front wing and reducing overall lift?

I couldn't see a simple explanation on the NP website but maybe i didn't look in the right place.

Thanks in advance

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:10 pm

paul s wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:39 pm
Can someone confirm that to reduce lift you use the shim washer with rear bolt of the rear wing?

Does this work by creating more lift from the rear wing so increasing downward pressure on the front wing and reducing overall lift?

I couldn't see a simple explanation on the NP website but maybe i didn't look in the right place.

Thanks in advance
Trimming the rear stab on the rear screw with a shim changes the angle of attack to push down the nose of the board. It's a nice trick to use if a new large wing format foil is mounted to an "older" foilboard and there isn't the space to move one's stance further forward on the board. Note that this works only when the rear stab is attached to the underside of the fuselage.
These users thanked the author Cab Driver for the post:
paul s (Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:29 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby IWB2 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:35 am

Huib wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:05 am
I tried the combi Large wing with the small stab without shim washer. Too much pressure on my frontfoot. No fun at all.
I prefer adding the washer to reduce a bit of lift from the L wing as my foil cant be moved back anymore in the track. A really fun foil giving that surfy feel. I use both the L and S stabilizers.

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Has, anyone seen or tried the new wings? Really interested in learning more about the Slim wing

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:27 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:10 pm
paul s wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:39 pm

Thanks in advance
Trimming the rear stab on the rear screw with a shim changes the angle of attack to push down the nose of the board. It's a nice trick to use if a new large wing format foil is mounted to an "older" foilboard and there isn't the space to move one's stance further forward on the board. Note that this works only when the rear stab is attached to the underside of the fuselage.

This is correct - it seems, reading the posts, that some shim the wrong way...

If you use a smaller stab, mounted at same angle, you will get less front foot pressure.

Using a bigger stab, will increase the front foot pressure.

If you put a washer under the front screw on the Glide stab, it will lower the aoa so it gets even more negative, thus the stab pulls even more down, and it will increase the front foot pressure.

So as Cab Driver writes, you have to put the washer on the rear screw at the stab (when mounted on the lower side like the Glide), to get less front foot pressure.

To Paul, the difficult thing for many to understand, is probably that all stabs pull down in normal flight, meaning a tad negative aoa.

No, you increase stab lift doing this (actually less negative lift, but same thing).

Yes it increases stab lift.
No it lessens the downward pressure on the front foot, not increasing.
No, it does not reduce overall lift, it increases overall lift.

Glad to hear Slappysan, you have found the joy of a smaller stab too, even with big frontwings, soooo much more fun and agility :thumb:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”