Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Losing stoke

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Losing stoke

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Hang out with the right people, harder than it used to be as kiting has way more kooks involved than it used to have.. create your own scene dont wait for others to do something.

Good friends dont tell friends to take up foiling.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:38 pm

Go ahead, don't get a foil.

You'll never know what you're missing.

Ever have a dream that you can fly ? Well it's close.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:35 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:51 pm
Hang out with the right people, harder than it used to be as kiting has way more kooks involved than it used to have.. create your own scene dont wait for others to do something.

Good friends dont tell friends to take up foiling.
This! ^^^^

Having a good group to kite with can add a little extra excitement to your session. Its no longer just about being able to learn a new trick - its about learning a trick and performing it in front of a mate who has just crashed attempting it. You tend to push each other along. If you kite with someone for a while you tend to look at new stuff and think - 'well if he can do that - I sure as well can too'

The hydrofoil scene doesn't excite me at the moment. I learned but .... then my regular crew got me wakeboarding instead. I prefer hanging out with the same people at the wakepark than a different bunch who don't push each other to learn new stuff on the beach when the wind is light.

Edit. Probably by next year I'll be back on it again - but at the moment the wake park is snatching my attention.

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:38 am

I am 10days post ACL reconstruction...... I would kill for a session right now.

My advice would be to try another sport..... I tried mountain biking. Bought a bike and all the gear. Figured out I really just wanted to go kiting 🤣

ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy
Has thanked: 0

Postby ragzilla » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:09 am

Thanks for everyones support and advice.

I live pretty rural, and while theres a few kiters around, very few are willing to put up with hooligan antics....... yknow, smashing beer bottles and lines of coke, along with other nefarious and scallywag behaviour.

My wing man (kite buddy) spoke last night, and i told him how im feeling a little bummed out. Lacking the motivation to send myself broke to rebuild a quiver.
I got told to shut up.....
"Go through your gear, tell me what you need, ive got kites for ya, i will rig you up..... kiting on my own for 13months sucked!"

I dunno what to say?
A good dude, that im lucky to have as a friend.
A good dude, that we're lucky to have as a kiter.

I went through all my gear last night, tuned bars and spent a few hours sorting everything.
While foiling sounds like fun, the truth is, i have so much sh#@ going on in my life, that i simply cant justify blowing money on a new foil. I dont have money to throw at equipment i have no passion for.

Today, im going to go through piles of timber, and used building supplies, and start building some park features. Something ive wanted to do for years, and never had the time or resources. Its probably the next step in my progression, and with the intention that if i spend hours building features, i will be pumped to get out there and hit them....... it might even keen up others for good sessions.

So thats the plan at this stage.
Obviously im not the only one feeling like this, so maybe if i build something it might give some stoke back to others too.

Hopefully

ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy

Postby ragzilla » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:21 am

On a side note........

Anybody know how to waterproof these??

....... asking for a friend.
Attachments
20190804_101223.jpg

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:12 am

ragzilla wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:21 am
On a side note........

Anybody know how to waterproof these??

....... asking for a friend.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:55 am

Buy yourself a flysurfer soul! Seriously I have felt like that last three years as haven't learnt anything new in that time and was getting bored of it. However I was watched an airstyle video with Lukash Volgatranz Hope I have spelt his name right! and then saw the soul kite in action. I have always flown LEI kites last 10 years but after watching more videos I wanted to try one so went out and bought one. This has renewed my vigour and passion for kiting. Wow! What a kite. I have been using the souls for about the last three or four months and have started learning new stuff and having fun again. The hang time is mental and so much better than Lei kites. The launch handling and everything else is so much better and easier and the pull, power and depower are phenomenal. I went back to my trusty lei 11m a few days back for a session, my favourite kite up until and actually thought Christ, this is heavy, hard work and boring. I soon went back to my soul. These kites will definitely revive your stoke. If you have any concepts of foil kites in your head, ignore them and try one. If like me you will start having amazing amounts of fun and in lighter winds than you ever have had and will no doubt start learning and enjoying stuff again along with breaking a few personal best hang time and boost records. try the 10m it is faster than the bigger versions, pulls almost as well but way more fun and really is a fun machine! Each time you use it you will smile more especially when you start burning past your mates on their LEI's and jumping twice as high as them when the wind starts to drop off for them.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:03 pm

^
" I dont have money to throw at equipment i have no passion for."

- here is your answer ;)

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:02 pm

You're showing signs of depression, got to get to the root of problem.

Return to “Kitesurfing”