A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
neilhapgood
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sliding spreader bars

Postby neilhapgood » Thu May 09, 2019 4:55 pm

foil are you in a seat harness, if so is it noticeably better that waist?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu May 09, 2019 7:02 pm

alowishus wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:57 pm
Foil wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:24 am
If you end up with the slingshot rope slider bar as in the top one in the pictures then like me you may find the slide distance is to short, making for half baked toeside rides, making you trying to force the bar found a bit more whilst riding,
Or as I tried, I lengthened the rope to offer up more slide distance, this really felt bad, very jerky and horrible for boosting on a Ttip as the chicken loop snaps back to the center as you move around in the air,
The longer rope on the bottom bar is perfect for foil and Ttip, the rope is long but close in so you don't experience the jerky snappy off/on movement when the rope has a large V in it
Good info Foil and nice pics.
Question I: Appearances may be deceptive, but are you running a single length of rope on both loops? i.e. There is no backup rope, rather, two lines of the same rope? If so, what is the reason for this?
Question II: What knot do you tie at the end of the rope? Looks like some kind of stopper knot.
i have used two separate lines on one harness, and one length of line on another, but stop knotted this to create the benefit of 2 lines, i use 2 lines purely due to habit, as before the north line slider chicken loop was available the line would wear quite quickly, now there is no wear at all, but two lines are easy to do, so twice as safe.
i have used stop knots of bowline with a ss ring for clipping on the safety leash whilst walking around,

other stop knots used in the pics are figure of 8, the best way to secure the ends is with the stopper balls you can see, these are all old bits from old kite bars,
I never ever throw the old bits away! I have set up 5 bars in total but ran out of stopper balls, so used simple stop knots to create the 2 line benefit.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu May 09, 2019 7:14 pm

neilhapgood wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:55 pm
foil are you in a seat harness, if so is it noticeably better that waist?
Ion b2 harness is more of a shorts type harness, no big bulky backside problem.
being an X windsurfer for over 20 years using a seat harness for racing, the waist harness just feels so wrong for me, the only waist for me was the waste of money spent on 3 different waist harnesses trying to find one that worked, none offered the feel I was looking for, but i loved the free leg movement.
May try again if I see anything that might work, need to get myself to a place where i can try a few that have leg straps, but the Ion B2 harnesses don't seem to be wearing out like they used to. (that will be the hydrofoil effect)
As for my 5 sliding rope bars they will last far longer than me, those two ropes are there forever, zero wear. :thumb:

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:16 pm

Can anyone tell me what the effect will be of using an 8 inch Dakine option spreader bar on my Dakine Vega where a 10' would be the right size for me...
10' is sold out everywhere... 8' and 12' are available...
Alternative would be a 10' mystic rope slider spreader bar, but this one costs twice as much..

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:04 pm

Peert wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:16 pm
Can anyone tell me what the effect will be of using an 8 inch Dakine option spreader bar on my Dakine Vega where a 10' would be the right size for me...
Alternative would be a 10' mystic rope slider spreader bar, but this one costs twice as much..
8 is pretty tiny but there is lots of strap length to work with. ....meaning it will fit on. I use a 10" NP halo and have about a 32 waist size...could not go with the larger one.
These users thanked the author cwood for the post:
Peert (Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:29 pm

Spreader bar had to SPREAD. Lot of kite harness designer forget about this - this was leading to hard shell crap to stop harness from pinching you. Spreader bar had to fit you. Rest of harness you can adjust with whatever straps etc... Only you can know which spreader bar fit you - even waist circum. is not enough to know - because your waist width dictate fit not circumference. Or your hip width on seat.
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:33 pm

Manera is even using in promo this BASIC spreader bar function as some new invention. BUT sad almost all harness have spreader bar way too short - so it doesnt spread - and harness will pinch you.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Peert wrote:

If you have the option of going with 8" or 12", I'd choose the 12". The Dakine spreader bars (like most others) are curved so that, if the bar is too small, the ends of the bar will dig into your abdomen. If the bar is too long, the bar will curve around your abdomen, but not dig in. I've always used 12" Dakine spreader bars for that reason.
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:25 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:35 pm
Peert wrote:

If you have the option of going with 8" or 12", I'd choose the 12". The Dakine spreader bars (like most others) are curved so that, if the bar is too small, the ends of the bar will dig into your abdomen. If the bar is too long, the bar will curve around your abdomen, but not dig in. I've always used 12" Dakine spreader bars for that reason.
+1

I also use the 12in because of the longer travel.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:45 pm

I am not a fan of the Dakine option spreader bar.

Generation one would come unlatched but only when you rode toe side. ;).

Generation two has a very long attachment buckle on the right side, that seemed to correct the coming unlatched issue but, it seemed to make the loading uneven. The solution seemed to be leave more slack on the left side. This could be an issue if you use the longer 12” as it might be too big.

I think there are better slider options on the market. Just my opinion.
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
Peert (Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:48 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”