Rare Poster
Local Beach: Larnaca, Kahuna Surfhouse
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Best TS, RRD Passion, Shinn board
Brand Affiliation: None

The journey from <10m to 20m

Postby Kuyu » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Heyyo !

I am afraid of heights but I am addicted to big air and jumping as high as I can. I know, weird...

My question is, what does it take to go past my 10m plateau and then, loop ? Big air addicts out there, show me the truth ..

Chris

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Re: The journey from <10m to 20m

Postby kiteswede » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 pm

How did you reach 10m :)?

Kuyu
Rare Poster

Postby Kuyu » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:09 pm

kiteswede wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 pm
How did you reach 10m :)?
I'm big and can hold down power. Edge, pull hard. Like that 🙄 .. trust me, I was surprised as well.

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:32 pm

I have seen guys go close to 20m without looping. Interested to hear others tips in this comment though. Below are my thoughts.......

Good gear....
Good conditions....
Ability to use Kickers....
Big balls :jump: ...
These users thanked the author HugoMC for the post:
Kuyu (Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:19 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Matt_TYRCZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach , VA
Favorite Beaches: First Landing State Park, OBX
Style: booting, kiteloop, freestyle
Gear: CORE Kiteboarding, MYSTIC , CrazyFLy

Postby Matt_TYRCZ » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 pm

right gear
right place
right time

balls out
These users thanked the author Matt_TYRCZ for the post:
Kuyu (Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:19 am)

Icantdecideonakite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: hayling island!
Favorite Beaches: pembrokshire baby!!!
Style: Wakestyle, wave foil
Gear: Enduros 9+12
refraction 143
Dwarfcraft

Postby Icantdecideonakite » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:50 pm

Im not really a big air guy. Im big in to my wakestyle.

But speaking to allot of big air guys they say the key is board control.

Right now your high wind max is not limited by the depower in your kite but your ability to hold the power and drive the kite towards the edge of the wind window with your board. Don't worry though i'm in the same boat.

From here you need to be rigging bigger kites in stronger wind and develop your high power board control. But please be safe.

Another technique i've used to coach people to jump higher is to rig a kite size so that you can only just hold your upwind ground(underpowered). Then go out and practise sending the kite super hard and redirecting hard(downloop landing).

This method of practise is fantastic. You have to really dial in your technique to get height and you can also experiment with sending your kite back as aggressively as you want and you wont get spanked. It'll also improve your balance suspended under a kite as you'll have to counter against the erratic kite movements.

Ive used this method with people and as soon as i put them back on to a powered size kite they make massive improvements on where they were before.

Let us know how you get on and if you do jump 20m please film it. Good luck!
These users thanked the author Icantdecideonakite for the post (total 2):
Kuyu (Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:18 am) • andrzej351 (Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:04 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Kuyu
Rare Poster

Postby Kuyu » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:46 am

HugoMC wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:32 pm
I have seen guys go close to 20m without looping. Interested to hear others tips in this comment though. Below are my thoughts.......

Good gear....
Good conditions....
Ability to use Kickers....
Big balls :jump: ...
The looping is for added effect, say, like the cherry on top ..

But regarding balls, i'll tell you one thing. the first couple of time I did not know I was gonna go that high, so it didn't really take much. But now I more aware of what is possible and now fear has a nesting place ..

Kuyu
Rare Poster

Postby Kuyu » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:16 am

Icantdecideonakite wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:50 pm
Im not really a big air guy. Im big in to my wakestyle.

But speaking to allot of big air guys they say the key is board control.

Right now your high wind max is not limited by the depower in your kite but your ability to hold the power and drive the kite towards the edge of the wind window with your board. Don't worry though i'm in the same boat.

From here you need to be rigging bigger kites in stronger wind and develop your high power board control. But please be safe.

Another technique i've used to coach people to jump higher is to rig a kite size so that you can only just hold your upwind ground(underpowered). Then go out and practise sending the kite super hard and redirecting hard(downloop landing).

This method of practise is fantastic. You have to really dial in your technique to get height and you can also experiment with sending your kite back as aggressively as you want and you wont get spanked. It'll also improve your balance suspended under a kite as you'll have to counter against the erratic kite movements.

Ive used this method with people and as soon as i put them back on to a powered size kite they make massive improvements on where they were before.

Let us know how you get on and if you do jump 20m please film it. Good luck!
Thank for this, it's great stuff. A couple of comments from me.

Your proposed method I discovered by chance, though I did not have your experience to know it's full potential. So thank you for this one. I busted my 12m recently ... i know, much sadness.. anw, so last weekend I was out most of the time on my 9m, with semi powered to borderline under-powered conditions. Let me tell you, I was throwing the 9m around with EXTREME prejudice, looping for the Gods of loop etc. I can also confirm that it makes a MASSIVE difference persisting in these conditions with a smaller kite.

Regarding high power board control. I personally think this is the main distinguishing factor, that takes one from Oh Wow.. to OMFG! .. too many reasons and ways I have observed this. But my best example is that last month Adeuri Corniel was on our little island, Cyprus, for a kite festival. I gave him my 9M RRD Passion to play in 30+ kn conditions. After he was done blowing our minds with his skillz, he gave it back and I swear to the Gods (of Loop) it was fully powered. I am bigger, heavier, but cannot keep it down like that no freakin way 9 (Had it at about 60% and thought I was Mr. Extreme) .. Adeuri is a BEAST !! So I became more aware of high powered board control, but lacked the experience to appreciate how important this is. Thanks for helping me confirm !

The last bit about edging at the last moment, I sort of knew cause of observation and reading about KOTA riders comparisons etc. For me this came naturally for some reason. I understand others have a much harder time. Personal opinion, it's a sudden significant change in force, so best to have a well conditioned body. It comes more easily if your are decently conditioned.

Overall, with time I realize that kiting past a certain level is extremely technical. In many ways this is a good thing, cause it means there is method to the madness. Consistent application and well thought out actions will always deliver results. Also you can cut and compartmentalize your goals, so as to attain them procedural and not just pray and shoot, and hope for as less pain as possible ..

But fear. Fear I have nothing on. My way of dealing with the fear is to think through everything logically. But tbh... i cannot stop being afraid...
These users thanked the author Kuyu for the post (total 2):
Kitemenn (Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:44 am) • Pemba (Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:28 am)
Rating: 6.06%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Have you watched Anton's video - Learning to Fly part 2? I really rate it. Worth the money.

He explains how to bridge that gap from just pulling and sending to getting much bigger air. There are a bunch of exercises in there as well. He shows 10m+ jumps on flat water in moderate wind (20-25 knots ) to demonstrate the technique works.

Essentially his technique is to push the kite to the edge of the window just before sending it and then redirect as it luffs back into the power as this luff will have less pull so you can keep your edge with more power in the kite.

I'm not good enough to explain it any better than this and as they say a tutorial video is worth a thousand words
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Kuyu (Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:14 pm)

Kuyu
Rare Poster

Postby Kuyu » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:25 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:03 pm
Have you watched Anton's video - Learning to Fly part 2? I really rate it. Worth the money.

He explains how to bridge that gap from just pulling and sending to getting much bigger air. There are a bunch of exercises in there as well. He shows 10m+ jumps on flat water in moderate wind (20-25 knots ) to demonstrate the technique works.

Essentially his technique is to push the kite to the edge of the window just before sending it and then redirect as it luffs back into the power as this luff will have less pull so you can keep your edge with more power in the kite.

I'm not good enough to explain it any better than this and as they say a tutorial video is worth a thousand words
Hey thanks for this watched the trailer. Yeah it makes sense a lot of sense, will look into to it for sure.

Question cause I just noticed you ride Shinn!? I have a Monk, The One and was wondering what your experience with Shinn has been? I love my Monk to bits, choppy water around here. But not too sure its helping me hold down more power. Maybe another board in the Shinn range :roll:

Return to “Kitesurfing”