Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone 2020

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Duotone 2020

Postby iriejohn » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:10 pm

You know what pisses me off, Dan-at-Duotone?

Duotone website: True Kiteboarding. True Windsurfing.

Northkb website: We are true North.

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:11 am

Hahaha. Me too. Rumor has it that NTG's lawyers are trademarking the word so you might not have to worry about us using it anymore. Apparently the fact that we made this book over ten years ago and have been using the True Kiteboarding tagline for even longer doesn't matter.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=89140
Attachments
true cover.jpg
true cover.jpg (25.6 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

mmac
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP
Style: surf
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mmac » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:45 am

True dat Dan!

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:55 am

Dan-at-Duotone wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:06 pm
We in the US are dealing with very low inflation, but it's still 1-2%, so that's almost half of the increase right there. Labor prices in China have been increasing at a pretty steady 8% annually for the past 10 years
For shipping, BDI went from 500 in 2015 to 1700 this year. And remember that we're dealing with forecasts as well, with trade tensions what they are I'm guessing that we're forecasting increased difficulties/costs in production/shipping/importing.

When you consider those numbers one could argue that we're lowering our retail relative to input costs. Like I said, we're always working with factories/suppliers looking for how to improve cost efficiency without sacrificing qualtiy. People love to demonize companies for raising prices, claiming we're fleecing the customer, implying that we're basing our pricing on exactly how much we think we can get the customer to pay. The truth is that we (and every other kite company) work as hard as we can to keep prices down.

As a fairly avid mountain biker I understand all too well the pain/frustration with watching prices go up... Bikes are INSANELY expensive now, and prices go up every year (significantly more than they have for kites), but I appreciate all the small improvements made year-on-year and as much as I hate parting with close to 10 grand for a toy that I'm basically going to destroy, I generally reup every year because dammit I love my toys.

-Dan
Thanks Dan. It's quite surprising what smaller companies can deliver; e.g. Kauper XT's 12meter kite, which doesn't give up anything in terms of quality and finishing, has about 50% lower prices on their kites. May be much less testing etc. with less man power compared to big firms. Nevertheless, makes to you realize what the management costs are for the bigger brands with wider selection of offerings... or the fat in the organizations or both :)

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:32 am

iriejohn wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:10 pm

Soon we will know how True NTG are... Don't worry about it, it is very clear where the reality is :)

COOP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Everywhere
Favorite Beaches: All Australian beaches.
Style: Freeride
Gear: North

Postby COOP » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:47 am

G’day Dan
Have the lines changed on the 2020 bars?

Cheers

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:24 am

Jup, here they are; https://www.northkb.com

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:41 am

Interesting to see that the new North kiteboarding video has a clear Duotone feel to it, i.e. it looks like the Duotone videos with the same scenarios and (almost?) the same spots. (If you switch the sound off, of course..)
If it was not for the North logo on the kites, you could bet the images are from Duotone.
Either their creative director is not very creative or they deliberately play on the similarity and try to get some people confused..

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Mo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:32 am
iriejohn wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:10 pm

Soon we will know how True NTG are... Don't worry about it, it is very clear where the reality is :)
Mo: "Brand Affiliation: Duotone"

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you? :lol:

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Had a go on a Dice 9/12. I was prety impressed. Very good and easy jumper. 12 was really easy to jump high compared to vegas 12m. Good enough unhooked for my basic set of tricks. Loops were odd, I kind of liked them but timing is different to what I am used to - looping vegases. Did not catch me on loops where vegas prolly would. On the other hand my friend had no problems with dice to catch him (he has dices 2018/neos/rebels). I have to work on my timing. I also liked bar feel. It is not so super direct as Vegas but direct enough for me. Turns with less power. Has a lot more hangtime compared to vegas. Very stable in sky (wind was not gusty tho). All in all I was impressed and I think it is a better choice for an intermediate kiter than a vegas is.

Had a chance to try Rebel as well (10m) - very easy jumper, with quite good bar feel for such a kite.

Kites look great in sky, I like graphics a lot, way better than last year.

Duotone will prolly not change lines this year - they use same lines for bridles as they do in their bars. I do not like that. On the other hand there are separate pigtails in newer bars -less wear at the end of lines. Duotone lines tend not to stretch a lot. And sliders move on a thicker lines incorporated into the bridle (rebel).
These users thanked the author wrogu for the post:
nixmatters (Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:40 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”