Medium Poster
Local Beach: St kilda Melbourne
Favorite Beaches: Rodos Prasonisi
Style: Old school
Gear: Flysurfer Boost3, Ozone bar V4 for now, Crazy Fly carbon board
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone V4 new bar- holes in the grip

Postby Cezary » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:00 am

Just asking for other users feedback in regard to my problem with the bar and the response I got from the Ozone.
I have been the keen user of the Ozone bars for the last 7/8 years. I consider it as one of the best and when I switched the kite brand about 2 months ago I decided to stick with Ozone bar.
I bought new click bar and used it up to 20 times in the last 2 months.
The bar is really great except the excessive and unreasonable wear on both sides of the centre slot.

I attach some picks showing the holes in the grip right to the bare metal!
On sending the picks to Ozone I received the response
that really shocked me.
Apparently I caused the problem myself by incorrect winding the lines and storing the bar in the kitebag!
I want to stress that I in the last 7/8 I owned at least 4 Ozone bars plus at least 6 Edges , 4 of which just sold on polish kiteforum and now after the answer (to my very first problem with the Ozone gear) I received I feel sorry I wanted to continue using Ozone bar!

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Re: Ozone V4 new bar- holes in the grip

Postby Faxie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:55 pm

The grip rubs against the QR swivel when you steer agressively with the bar pulled in. I had the same problem with multiple bars. It's not user error, it's a common design error.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Faxie wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:55 pm
The grip rubs against the QR swivel when you steer agressively with the bar pulled in. I had the same problem with multiple bars. It's not user error, it's a common design error.
yep! same for me
very common.
I have two brand new ozone v4 bars, not 2months old but used nearly every day, no surprise to see the same wear, exactly the same for all my 4 click bars that I had,
nothing for me to worry about, its cosmetic and rare to see a bar without this sort of wear, it stops getting any worse after a while,
there will be some brands that will have a different type of quick release swivel upper shape that will not dig into the soft grip,
the exact same thing happens to my deck grip, caused by the same bar bits when body dragging out with my foil board, just looked at it today and give a small curse or two as my board is not exactly old as well, that spinner thing and the quick release edge really does damage the soft bits.
hey ho :-?

Cezary
Medium Poster

Postby Cezary » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:46 pm

Faxie wrote: ↑ The grip rubs against the QR swivel when you steer agressively with the bar pulled in. I had the same problem with multiple bars. It's not user error, it's a common design error.

Yes, you are dead right about why the damage does occur,just doesn't agree the problem effects multiple bars and first of all such damage should not take place so soon after buying the bar. I just sold Ozone bar 2017 in perfect condition (after replacing for the 2nd time flag out line) - 2years old! My 2013 is also very good and kept as spare one since resale is next to nothing

Most important it's nonsense that Ozone claims that I'm at fault! I quote their replay:

"Thanks for the photos. The damage to the grip is happening due to the way you wind up your bar and lines and store them in the kite bag"

This is a bullshit answer! some guys might say it's only cosmetic the bar still works, what's your problem?
Well! try for example to sell such damaged bar
then you will see where the problem is!
Besides not everyone wants to have the holes in new bar or change the style of riding!
With the appropriate warning from Ozone I would have NEVER bought it!
These users thanked the author Cezary for the post:
runner1 (Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:50 am)
Rating: 3.03%

ScoopZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Scotland.
Style: Catching bumps/carving.
Gear: Ozone 2014 Cats - 10/12.
Airush 5'6" Cypher
Airush Sector 60.

Postby ScoopZ » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:48 pm

That is rather gutting, especially for standard kiting practice.
They need to redesign an extended cut away in the grip like Naish bars have.

Cezary
Medium Poster

Postby Cezary » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:41 am

Yes I do agree with you and Faxie who said it was the design error!
Unfortunately Ozone chooses to blame me as the user by stating such absurd things about incorrect winding the lines and storing the bar in the kitebag.
What kitebag!? Who told them that crap!?
My kitebag is on the attached photo and it’s the Flysurfer bag, half the size of the Ozone bag and I never tried to push the bar there.
Also I told them that the only time I used the bar in the last 2 months(since I bought it) was during the 2weeks stay in Rodos Prasonisi.
Whoever was there knows that during the stay there by the beach the gear is never packed even if someone has an Ozone bag!
The Ozone should cut the crap out admit an error in the design and start thinking how to fix it rather than trying to blame the users who supposedly can’t wind properly the lines and store the bar in the kitebag where the holes in the grip are coming up as the mushrooms after the rain!
And if some kiters don’t care about such holes in almost brand new bars that’s fine that’s their right and approach but I do refuse to be treated as a fool by Ozone.
I’m sure that the same way I replaced my Edges(great kites!!)by much Better kite!I will replace Ozone bar that I wanted to keep with the Flysurfer.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:54 am

Cezary
Medium Poster

Postby Cezary » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Cezary wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:41 am
Yes I do agree with you and Faxie who said it was the design error!
Unfortunately Ozone chooses to blame me as the user by stating such absurd things about incorrect winding the lines and storing the bar in the kitebag.
What kitebag!? Who told them that crap!?
My kitebag is on the attached photo and it’s the Flysurfer bag, half the size of the Ozone bag and I never tried to push the bar there.
Also I told them that the only time I used the bar in the last 2 months(since I bought it) was during the 2weeks stay in Rodos Prasonisi.
Whoever was there knows that during the stay there by the beach the gear is never packed even if someone has an Ozone bag!
The Ozone should cut the crap out admit an error in the design and start thinking how to fix it rather than trying to blame the users who supposedly can’t wind properly the lines and store the bar in the kitebag where the holes in the grip are coming up as the mushrooms after the rain!
And if some kiters don’t care about such holes in almost brand new bars that’s fine that’s their right and approach but I do refuse to be treated as a fool by Ozone.
I’m sure that the same way I replaced my Edges(great kites!!)by much Better kite!I will replace Ozone bar that I wanted to keep with the Flysurfer.

Return to “Kitesurfing”