Local Beach: Rota
Favorite Beaches: Destin
Style: Newbie
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None

Newb 1st time B2 practice

Postby cunningr » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:31 pm

First thanks for the support.

Today finally had good wind to fly my B2 trainer kite for first time.

First impression from a newb prospective using a trainer before a class, is worth it I think. The 1 hour I spent today provided a very good insight on what I need to learn and to start developing a feel.

I crashed 2 times, once after first launch kite stalled and I over steered. Second time was first time attempting a landing. Winds are probably 12 knots today. In the end was able to land do figure eights hold kite at 12, 1 and 2. Less at 2 had some people park there self a little close. Got a very rough idea of what the power will be on a larger kite. A little intimidated for what’s to come.

Need more flight time and practice landings and work in more feel for control. Little boring maybe but I had fun, and seems to entertain the kids on the beach.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Newb 1st time B2 practice

Postby Matteo V » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:58 pm

cunningr wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:31 pm
Need more flight time and practice landings and work in more feel for control. Little boring maybe but I had fun, and seems to entertain the kids on the beach.
Great you had a good time!

And there is much more you can work on with a trainer:

1. Think safety - keep safe distance from objects and bystanders. Practice activating safety (b2 may not have a safety line, unfortunately)

2. Train to fly instinctually by not looking at the kite. This is more safe, once mastered, because it allows you to focus on what is going on around you. Thus you can actually watch for bystanders and other hazards.

3. See if you can use the kite to assist you going from a sitting position to standing. This will help understand power development.

4. Revisit #2 with by now parking the kite in one spot, and walking to another location, while keeping the kite parked in that same location with minimal movement of the kite. Even more advanced than this is locating the kite deep in the window (requires lots of small movements) and walking around.

Keep others safe and stay safe yourself!
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
cunningr (Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

cunningr
Rare Poster

Postby cunningr » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Thanks. You pretty well outlined my plan, I think next session I can try standing from a start position. And moving around more. When I started was well away, but people just sort of started getting closer so had to land. Yeah B2 no safety as it’s only 2 line so focus on the things you mentioned.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:47 am

Don't overdo flying a trainer. There is little carryover to a lei kite of average size, 9-12m. In fact, I think you should stop now. The end goal is to be comfortable flying real kite, not a whiz on a 1.8m.

cunningr
Rare Poster

Postby cunningr » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:59 am

alford wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:47 am
Don't overdo flying a trainer. There is little carryover to a lei kite of average size, 9-12m. In fact, I think you should stop now. The end goal is to be comfortable flying real kite, not a whiz on a 1.8m.
Thanks for you reply.

I see your point but there are still some things with the trainer which I still need more time on, like getting more feel of the wind window landing and start position.

Lot of conflicting opinions on using a trainer kite, at the moment I see it as a tool I can use more often until I can make the course.

I have no illusion it will be the same as a large kite but I see it as building block.

The B2 is actually a 2M trainer, but as I said I get your point.

The B2 is 2.2 meters

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:53 am

Good report, cunningr. Keep flying the trainer as much as possible. It will pay off when you finally move to a 4-line kite. I taught hundreds of beginners to kite as a former instructor, and the ones who came into the first lesson with power kite experience had a definite advantage. :thumb:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:11 pm

alford wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:47 am
Don’t think it hurts though. So I don’t see the downside.

As long as you feel safe I would encourage more crashing. It was all the crashing that helped me understand the movement of the kite.

And I agree with trying not to look at it all the time. When you start to just feel the kite in the bar everything becomes so much easier. When learning I struggled quite a lot with improving my water starts. When I stopped watching the kite I went from being inconsistent to getting up basically 100% of the time. And I became a lot better at controlling it as I built and understanding by just feeling the pressure in the bar. A bit like closing your eyes for 5 minutes in a bar will make you hear things in a completely different way.

cunningr
Rare Poster

Postby cunningr » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I did fly some blind as the sun was in my face really couldn’t see it at all at 12 position.

Being from a military background hard for me to understand a reason for not using a smaller trainer kite honestly other than it won’t have all the controls. So I keep thinking finger tips and let go only can’t let go of the B2 haha.

Hopefully have wind at home some this week so can get a few more sessions in.

luke11
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby luke11 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Congratulations on mastering the trainer kite. 1 hour is the appropriate amount of time. Please consider that extended use (greater than 1 hour) of trainer kite by a beginner kitesurfer reinforces the worst negative habit. Not letting go of the bar. You have successfully learned how to use trainer kite. Now, move on to next step. Certified lessons. Have FUN and see you on the water.

cunningr
Rare Poster

Postby cunningr » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:22 pm

luke11 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:45 pm
Congratulations on mastering the trainer kite. 1 hour is the appropriate amount of time. Please consider that extended use (greater than 1 hour) of trainer kite by a beginner kitesurfer reinforces the worst negative habit. Not letting go of the bar. You have successfully learned how to use trainer kite. Now, move on to next step. Certified lessons. Have FUN and see you on the water.
Thanks. Was think of making a short leash see if I could use it to practice letting go. I grew up water skiing so hopefully the instinct to let go will be similar.

Lessons are planned for next month when tourist session go down.

Return to “Kitesurfing”