Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5
Brand Affiliation: None

Peak 4 vs Pulsion

Postby MaximumAC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Been having a blast on my Peaks (3/5/8) with my main concern being the kite staying in the air during lulls. I have a 12m FS Soul that I'm all the time having to swim in due variability in the wind. I have been considering adding the 11m Peak 4 to my quiver and have read all about the potential drawbacks in turning speed and such. The 8m is already a very slow kite. So, 11m Peak 4 or Pulsion in maybe the 15m UL for low winds. I'm clearly trending towards super low wind riding, but my concern is more for keeping the kite in the air vs exploring the absolute bottom end of wind. I'm ~75kg and currently riding the Moses 790 wing but also working on proficiency on a spotz 2 (i know, very different foils, but for low wind I imagine i'd be on the 790).

Bonus question....how about adding the Pansh Aeolus UL in the mix?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Re: Peak 4 vs Pulsion

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:48 pm

staying in the air and "boost for waterstart " : Pulsion is better , according to all back-to-backe testers ; And it is even more easy to compare in snow kiting where riders are more keen to play in ultra light wind (less risky) : Pulsion (*) stays better in the air, support better punctual "no-wind-lulls like 3-4 seconds" without collapsing, and recovery loop to keep the kite in the air is more efficient... same conclusion with the Gin Shaman on snowkite spots ; of-course relaunch ; but even on snow or launch in the beach, is also possible with less wind with the Pulsion

(*) I mean in 27gr cloth ; I think that Pulsion 32gr cloth is approximately equivalent to peak regarding the stay in the air without working the kite (but better when working the kite)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:34 pm

I can only agree, the Pulsion 15 m2 in 27 g cloth is EXTREMELY stable, and can hang in ridiculously low wind :D

In fact, it is the only foil kite I have never had in the water yet - it hangs in less wind than I can foil.

I am pretty sure, that higher aspect kites if similar extreme low weight, got more peak power (those I have had, but heavier, got more peak power) so in theory you could push the low end in marginal winds even further.

BUT, in reality you can not, as they will collapse easier and you can not survive the extreme lulls the same way as the Pulsion can.

I dont know about the Peak4 in the bigger sizes, but my take would be it has too low peak power to reach the same low end, eventhough it seems they work great in the smaller sizes for waveriding, but a totally different scenario.

With long lines, which are needed, 30 to 32 meters is my choice, the higher aspect kites can pull when looped, even better than the pulsion, but they are too "fragile" and can drop or collapse really easy, thus I have found the Pulsion to be the best practical weapon for pushing the low end without swimming :thumb:

In 3 to 4 knots I can keep it in the air easily, and of course keep it flying looping in less wind.

But need around 4-5 knots with my 78 kg, to have a chance to foil, with the right wing and board, depending on wind quality of course.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:36 pm

I would think the Pulsion 12 is closer to the Peak 11 meter. If you are not trying to go below 7 knots, Pulsion 12 meter may be enough.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:47 pm

As much as i L O V E peaks. I still have closed cell kite as biggest kite...

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Postby MaximumAC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:48 pm

All the foiling heavyweights minus sergio and foilholio (forgive me if i missed anyone)...so 15m pulsion it is. Had a lovely time in Northern Fl today on my 8m Peak. Just on the cusp of too low wind, but she got her done in about 7-10g12. Comments on best bar and lines to compliment 15m Pulsion?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:57 am

If only Pulsion had some of the weird things improved or removed or optimized... For sure it is a great light wind kite anyway :thumb:

It is true race kite behavior becomes very difficult if wind is at the limit, last weekend I had some time with two big ones with usual difficulties :o

On ice or snow kites are much easier to handle, then high AR kites of course crush simple mid AR kites like Pulsion in performance (speed, upwind).

Peak4 don't give nearly as much power when looped or dived as a foil kite, it is a park-and-ride kite. With a foil kite you can generate power if you know how to do it.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:58 pm

MaximumAC wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:48 pm
All the foiling heavyweights minus sergio and foilholio (forgive me if i missed anyone)...so 15m pulsion it is. Had a lovely time in Northern Fl today on my 8m Peak. Just on the cusp of too low wind, but she got her done in about 7-10g12. Comments on best bar and lines to compliment 15m Pulsion?
For riders > 80 kg riding in steady winds like thermics, i suggest the pulsion 18m to seak for ultimate low end . For more irregular winds like on lake, pu15m is better.

About the bar : i use a 71cm bar (but 65cm is enough), and 29m very thin lines (0.8 mm and 1.0mm , all sk99).
25m is more comfortable is gusts and transitions but you loose a little power in marginal wind.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
MaximumAC (Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Can you elaborate?
kitexpert wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:57 am
If only Pulsion had some of the weird things improved or removed or optimized... For sure it is a great light wind kite anyway :thumb:
-snip-

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 pm

:duh: Oh no !!! Please not again...

Return to “Hydrofoil”