Saslater
Rare Poster
Gear: NORTH
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Keep trying...or part ways ?

Postby Saslater » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:23 am

Foiling has been a Godsend for me. I started 4 months ago with the Cabrinha foil, the 2018 or 17 model and with the Double Agent Board can get out and fly around in the 8-12 range which was never an option for me kitesurfing, or windsurfing. About a month ago the Duotone Carve 950 caught my eye, and I've been introducing this foil into my sessions BUT despite the Duotone being beautiful to look at, the 950 is a terror to fly, especially when not underpowered.

Specifically, I can't control the new Duotone. She likes to ride high on the foil, and when not pointing feels too fast and out of control and not fun. I tried to shim the back wing -.25 degrees, which did help a little. I take some wicked wipeouts especially when heading off the wind, something that's never a problem on the Cabrinha I learned on.

I have about 10 hours on the Duotone. Do I keep it as an underpowered alternative, or sell it for another foil? I will obviously keep using the Cabrinha, and I like having 2 fun setups and improving my skills.

I weigh 90 kg, and can ride heel and toe side but have not yet tried to switch feet when up on foil. I use a EVO 9M in 13-20 MPH wind. Less wind a Mono 13, more I will twintip.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Re: Keep trying...or part ways ?

Postby DukeSilver » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:56 am

My first thought is to try this moderately large wing with a smaller kite. If a 9m is your smallest kite, I suggest you buy or try a 6m or 7m Neo or similar surf kite. A 9m is my largest kite and I can get going in 10kts on a much smaller wing than you have. I am about 80kg though.

codifilo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby codifilo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:27 am

As the Duotone wing is bigger it has more lift so I suggest trying mounting the foil more backward or moving you feet forward. In this way you'll stand on top of the center of lift and you'll have more control.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:56 pm

Sounds to me like you'd be happier on a surf wing. Try something 1200 sq cm or bigger out.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:15 pm

Doesnt sound like you have enough experience yet. If you have both, keep both and use them. It also sounds like you have gone from draggy low performance to less dragger higher performance. You will need less kite. You are riding it overpowered for your skill level. When you feel in control thats the right power range. Use smaller kites for the same wind with this foil.

In time you will get more experience and be able add power back in. I suspect over time you will come to love the higher performance foil and dislike the low performance foil when your experience builds.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:35 pm

What board are you using the Duotone foil on?

If you can post a photo on the underside of the board (with the foil attached) so we can see the setup and also the top of the board to see the foot strap position (or just the pads if you're strapless). It should be relatively easy to see if the foil is set up right on the board.

Return to “Hydrofoil”