Local Beach: Dalarö
Gear: Bandit
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What to buy - beginner ish :)

Postby Larssov » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi everyone,

So I am pretty new to kitesurfing. I manage very well to stay upwind in heavier wind, but sometimes struggle on light wind. I am actually better at riding when there is waves for some reason. Only use a twintip board, and just learned to turn 98% of the times. Basically the next steps for me are to start jumping.

So to my question. I currently only own 1 kite. It is a Bandit 12M , 2015. I am generally happy with the bar pressure of this kite compared to other kites I have tried (e.g. North Rebel, or Evo Catalysts, which I felt both were a bit more unresponsive, and also the "feedback" feeling in the bar came to late) - Even if they were easier for me to keep in one position I did not like the feeling. Ie I like to feel where to kite is, but I dont want it to be unresponsive.

I am now looking to buy 2 new kites, maybe a9 and a 12, or something similar, and I think i want to change brands, as I dont like the safety system of the F-one, and i dont like how the F-one behaves in very gusty winds. (it works, but you have to compensate a lot).

So I have been recommended from several places to go eleveight, Duotone dice, or Core. There is of course a significant price difference here, and I am not sure what to go for. Can anyone of you recommend something to me as a pretty new kite boarder, but looking to kite a lot and learn more?

If I buy eleveight I might go for new kites, but for duotone and core, I probably will buy something 2 year old.

Very grateful for any tips, that would meet my requirements.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Re: What to buy - beginner ish :)

Postby Exal » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Without trying to get a lot of details out of you. What I as a newish kite enthusiast can tell you is that an easy to fly allrounder will be great for fast progression. I only have experience with duotone and started out on the neo but if I could go back I'd buy 7, 9, 12 Evo from 2019. You can get good deals on superceeded gear, call a shop and ask them for a deal on it. If you want to milk it, you can call a 2nd store and tell them you have been quoted this price and if they want to beat it. The price on the website is never the price you'll pay.

Stay clear from open c kites unless you plan to unhook, become a megalooper or enjoy the specific way that they fly in the waves.

Larssov
Rare Poster

Postby Larssov » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:31 pm

Thank you Exal, I have also tried the Evo, but i also feel it is pretty high bar pressure on it - ie it feel a bit "heavy" while turning and have a delay I feel in "where the kite are" feeling. It is pretty stable though. So I think i am looking for something with slightly more similar feel / pressure as the Bandit.
Saying this though - I tried the Evo version from like 2015 or 2016 so it might have changed. Only going Hybrid kites - :)

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:56 pm

They changed the evo from 5 struts to 3 struts. The 2019 is nothing like the one you've tried. The bar pressure is light, you can chosse between 3 settings on the wingtip and I used my 12 only on the medium setting so far. Always had great response from the kite and I could fly the kite without looking at it straight away and it has a huge windrange.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Since you have an allround kite now, the bandit, do not expect a mega kite behaviour change if you keep in the allround category.
I would first try to think if you want to go into a specific kite discipline e.g. wave / freeride / freestyle /allround / wake
Do note that not all off those are suited for beginners (especially looking at wakestyle / c-kites type of kites)
If you still do not know or have no preference keeping an allround type kite might be best.
(Pretty much all kites are some sort of hybrid these days but they might be leaning more to C type or Bow kites in their behaviour)

Regarding gusts / windrange: pure freeride type of kites handle those best (Think Rebel / Core XR series )
However all kites have trade-offs so those freeride kites are worse at e.g. wave riding, foiling or unhooked tricks.

If you test out kites make sure you compare similar line lengths and checkout the different settings on the kites.
Usually you have 1 or 2 points where you can change the the feeling of the kite e.g. bar pressure and turning speed.

Lucky for you it is the right season to look for gear since most brands just launched new models.
I just bought some Core XR5s at a nice discount :)

Edit add:
Generally speaking direct feel and handling gusts are sort of opposing forces.
The more direct the kite feel the more you feel the gusts.

Larssov
Rare Poster

Postby Larssov » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:03 pm

Thank you very much leeuwen .

Ok - good to know about the opposing forces, I was under the impression that felling the gust is one thing, and that having the kite "flap" in gusts is another - but as I said - I am not an expert here :)

Would you say Core XR5 is the way to go - what made you not go for the XR6 if I may ask?. _ only price? Leaning towards Core or Eleveight RS at the moment after talking to some ppl. The main reason is that I can maybe get away with only 1 kite with the Core, wheras if I go for Evo or Eleveight I really need 2 kites. And if I need to go 2 kites, I think Evo might be a bit pricy

90% of the days I am kiting I am kiting in 13 -26 knots. I manage to go up to 30 knots with my bandit 12 - even though it is a bit exhausting :), but I do have severe troubles at around 12-15 knots with the bandit at the moment (probably due to me being bad :))

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Larssov wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:03 pm
Ok - good to know about the opposing forces, I was under the impression that felling the gust is one thing, and that having the kite "flap" in gusts is another - but as I said - I am not an expert here :)
I was talking about uncomfortable riding in gusts (pulled in jolts) vs directness of steering.
Kite flapping in very gusty overpowered conditions for the kite will happen sooner or later afaik.
More struts and kite design can help here though.

I chose the XR5R based on price.
From what I have seen the XR6 is an minor evolution of the XR5.
For me the changes are not enough to warrant the extra price.

12 Meter at 30 knots for a beginner sounds a bit optimistic unless you are heavy and/or have a very small board.
You will be pushing the kite a bit (Official top end is 24 Knots) but with its design and 5 struts I would expect it to behave a better then the Bandit.

I am still figuring out the exact wind window of my XR5s (Only have them a couple of weeks)
Did not push my 12M yet but the 17M at 20 Knots felt powerful but still in control :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”